Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2011, 05:05 PM

1 posts, read 4,352 times

Advertisements

Hi there,
Very soon I will be relocating from/to areas mentioned in the title. I am a software engineer.

Due to family reasons I have/want to live near by(say within 130 miles; preferably within 50 miles though) Greenville (in greene county).

Albany (in-the-city, Delmar etc), Kingston, poughkeepsie etc are the seem alright to me, looking in the map, for relocation.

What do you guys suggest? any other areas? considering below:
- temperature, tech jobs, good hang out places, to locate centrally to other places, paying bridge tolls etc.
- I might be allowed to work remotely for my current job(in bay area) from NY, not sure yet though.
- my son turned 4 years last month and he needs go to pre-k

I have been looking in job sites(to get a feel of where the jobs are located), reading through other posts, but my question seemed different hence I posted.

When you get a chance please reply or give me pointers/resources.

Thank you and good weekend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2011, 05:55 PM

92,087 posts, read 122,294,404 times
If you want a balance between things to, good schools and reasonable proximity to work, look into Delmar(Bethlehem Schools), East Greenbush(Columbia Schools), Guilderland, Colonie and maybe even Niskayuna.

Old 10-09-2011, 04:14 PM

655 posts, read 2,322,092 times
Default Relocation from SF Bay to Upstate NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by godavari View Post
Hi there,
Very soon I will be relocating from/to areas mentioned in the title. I am a software engineer.

Due to family reasons I have/want to live near by(say within 130 miles; preferably within 50 miles though) Greenville (in greene county).

Albany (in-the-city, Delmar etc), Kingston, poughkeepsie etc are the seem alright to me, looking in the map, for relocation.

What do you guys suggest? any other areas? considering below:
- temperature, tech jobs, good hang out places, to locate centrally to other places, paying bridge tolls etc.
- I might be allowed to work remotely for my current job(in bay area) from NY, not sure yet though.
- my son turned 4 years last month and he needs go to pre-k

I have been looking in job sites(to get a feel of where the jobs are located), reading through other posts, but my question seemed different hence I posted.

When you get a chance please reply or give me pointers/resources.

Thank you and good weekend.
Hello godavari,

Wow! Talk about cultural shock!! Relocate from the San Francisco Bay area to the Capital District cities-NY State. A more equal-area relocation would be TO Boston-MA. But Boston would not be as close a convenient/spare-of-the-moment drive to Greenville-NY where you want to be near. Boston would be more expensive cost-of-living, many miles away, take more gasoline, and a drive of a few hours to Greenville.

It would help me give you the best information if you told me what type of area in which you want to live-here: rural countryside, small hamlet/village, suburban area, or in a city. I'll suggest some differing places.

I don't see any advantage, maybe some disadvantages, to living southward in the Hudson River Valley. I don't see advantages to places like: Kingston, Poughkeepsie, or other Hudson Valley cities.

I'm going to suggest some more-rural areas and some small cities for you to consider. You mentioned living within 50 to 130 miles of Greenville. All of my suggested places are within about 50 to 60 miles distant.

Small countryside villages/rural areas>>>

COBLESKILL NY. A nice small village west of Albany situated in one my favorite picturesque NYS countryside/farmland regions just off Interstate 88. There is the State University of New York at Cobleskill college located there. Population = 4533 / not updated.

EAST GREENBUSH NY. An unincorporated "village" (hamlet) east of Albany across the Hudson River, in a countryside location just off Interstate 90. "Hamlet" population figures not listed; "Township" population figures are available.

COOPERSTOWN NY. Famous for the National Baseball Hall of Fame Museum. This is a lovely small quaint village located on the southern end of picturesque Otsego Lake in a rural countryside area. Nice little shops, restaurants, businesses along tree-shaded sidewalks in the downtown area. There are several other museums at Cooperstown. This village is within 50 to 60 miles west of Greenville & Albany. Cooperstown is just a few miles off Interstate 88. Population = 2032 / not updated.

CLIFTON PARK NY. This unincorporated "hamlet" is considered an outer suburb north of the Capital District Cities just off Interstate 87. Nice middle-class home area with some nearby shopping. You can travel southward closer to Albany/Colonie for more shopping and employment. "Hamlet" population figures not listed; "Township" figures are available.

Nice small cities>>>

SARATOGA SPRINGS NY. A nice, somewhat upscale, small city north of the Capital District Cities. Lovely downtown area landscaped with flowering plants and shrubs/trees, of unique shops, restaurants, bustling business area, etc.; be sure to see the unique "painted horses" located all around downtown & other areas. Some local nightlife & entertainment opportunities. There are major name bands and broadway concerts/plays/shows and horse-racing held all summer-long. Other entertainment throughout the year. This city is closer to the Adirondack Mountains/Lakes and farther north is beautiful Lake George. Population = 26,186++ / not updated. City just off Interstate 87.

GLENS FALLS NY. Decent, safe, working middle-class small city north of the Capital District Cities and north of Saratoga Springs with an average good downtown business district; some shopping plazas/areas on the outer edges of this city. Two other connected towns are South Glens Falls & Queensbury. The Villages of Hudson Falls & Fort Edward are very near also. Glens Falls population is 14,354+ / not updated; add the populations of the other 4 towns mentioned herein for a total LARGER population figure. This city is just off Interstate 87. Close to beautiful Lake George & the Adirondack Mountains/Lakes. FYI=Lake George is a nice summer resort village with summer activities, entertainment, lake boat cruises & dinner boat cruises, drive to the top of Prospect Mountain for the views overlooking the mountains & Lake George.

I believe the above towns/cities would be some of the NICEST places for your relocation near the Capital District Cities and Greenville.

You can do additional internet searches about these suggested places for more information. Feel free to contact me if you have questions. Good luck with your relocation move. Welcome to New York State.

grdnrman

Last edited by grdnrman; 10-09-2011 at 04:45 PM..

Old 10-09-2011, 04:25 PM

92,087 posts, read 122,294,404 times
You might like this too: New York's Tech Valley

Saratoga Technology + Energy Park (STEP)

Old 10-12-2011, 10:12 AM

655 posts, read 2,322,092 times
Default Towns & Cities Information

Hello godavari,

Here is some information about the places I previously suggested to you. The info about Cooperstown and Saratoga Springs is quite extensive.

Click on any of these Link Lines.

COBLESKILL NY>>
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coblesk...age),_New_York
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coblesk...own),_New_York
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_U..._at_Cobleskill

COOPERSTOWN NY>>
www.city-data.com/forum/17646509-post6.html

CLIFTON PARK NY>>
www.cliftonparknewyork.com/
www.cliftonpark.org

SARATOGA SPRINGS NY>>
www.city-data.com/forum/21252859-post8.html

GLENS FALLS NY>>
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glens_Falls,_New_York
www.glensfalls.net/

Beautiful Lake George resort area located north of Saratoga Springs and Glens Falls, at the southeastern region of the Adirondack Mountains/Lakes.
www.lakegeorgeguide.com/

grdnrman

Old 02-19-2012, 07:50 PM

3 posts, read 6,585 times
Can anyone on this thread please help?!!!
My boyfriend and I will be graduating May 2012 and relocating from Florida to New York, New York in August 2012. We are currently trying to save a combined total of $10,000 for the move and first year's living expenses. This is number is just a guesstimate of what we will need but I would like more practical/realistic gage for the savings. Can someone who lives/lived in either Brooklyn, Queens, Flushing, Harlem etc. quote me some monthly expense estimates? Also neither of us have children or pets. Below is my outline of monthly expenses that I know we will need. All monthly estimates will be greatly appreciated even if some of these expenses aren't on the responders list.

Rent:
Transportation:
Utilities:
Heat/Gas
Electric
Water
Sewage
Food:
Cleaning/Laundery:
Cable:
Cell Phone (Verizon):
Internet:
Miscellaneous/Entertainment:

Old 02-24-2012, 08:51 AM

261 posts, read 355,693 times
The area you are moving too is one of the few in the state I have not spent a lot of time in. But from what I know of the area you seem to be picking a good spot. From there its a pretty easy drive to lots of places (within 4-5 hours). Boston, NYC, Buffalo, Niagara Falls, the Ocean. Could make for some nice weekend get aways.

Good Luck with your move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York