U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 10-12-2011, 07:24 AM

2 posts, read 1,570 times
Default Inexpensive & great neighborhoods

We are looking to move from Florida to upstate New York areas. I would like to know any places that aren't that expensive as far a rent goes & is in a decent area. We have 4 children so good schools is a must. He has been laid off work for some time now he's a painter so I also would like to find out where to look for construction jobs as well. I work for the school board here in Brevard County, would love to be able to find a job if possible before moving. Would like some input as far as cost of living, rent, etc. Want to raise our children in a better place & actually enjoy where we are at. Miss being up north where it's beautiful & have the change of seasons. Any info would be great. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 10-12-2011, 09:06 AM
Status: "most vulnerable when you have everything or you have nothing" (set 1 day ago)

27,143 posts, read 30,635,648 times
There are a lot of places in Upstate nY that would fit. in terms of jobs, here is a good website to give you some ideas: Central New York Jobs

As far as housing, this should get you started: Upstate New York Real Estate

Rochester NY apartments, Buffalo apartments, Syracuse apartments, Albany NY apartments listings from The Renters Guide

MapsKrieg - CraigsList Apartment Listings Mashed With Google Maps

Longley Jones Management Corp. - Apartments - Standard Apartment Housing - -

In terms of schools, here is some more information: https://reportcards.nysed.gov/counties.php?year=2010

https://reportcards.nysed.gov/view.p...=yes&year=2010

Search for School Profiles

You will find, in spite of tax rates, that the cost of living in Upstate NY is usually on par with the COL in many Southern areas.

Is there anything else you might like in terms of where you would like to live and what kind of neighborhood you would like to live in?

This information might help too: http://www.visitsyracuse.org/\ (broken link)

Visit Buffalo / Niagara

VisitRochester

Binghamton Convention and Visitors Bureau: The Official Binghamton Tourism Website

Albany: Official Guide To Albany Hotels, Events, Restaurants, Real Estate, Classifieds & More In Albany NY On Albany.com!

Visiting the Mohawk Valley NY - Central NY

Visit Watertown NY located in Upstate New York along the Canadian Border and close to Fort Drum Home to the 10th Mountain Division

Plattsburgh North Country Chamber of Commerce

Finger Lakes Vacation Packages & Resources - Corning & the Finger Lakes, NY

Experience Corning, NY

Come Discover Jamestown NY! - Brought to you by the DJDC.

http://www.visitithaca.com/

ILOVENY | The Official New York State Tourism Site-Home

Unread 10-12-2011, 11:11 AM

654 posts, read 1,031,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCA1965 View Post
We are looking to move from Florida to upstate New York areas. I would like to know any places that aren't that expensive as far a rent goes & is in a decent area. We have 4 children so good schools is a must. He has been laid off work for some time now he's a painter so I also would like to find out where to look for construction jobs as well. I work for the school board here in Brevard County, would love to be able to find a job if possible before moving. Would like some input as far as cost of living, rent, etc. Want to raise our children in a better place & actually enjoy where we are at. Miss being up north where it's beautiful & have the change of seasons. Any info would be great. Thank you.
Hello CCA1965,

It is difficult to suggest areas WITH low rent, painting/construction jobs, and best schools. A job IS the most important in these difficult employment times and especially when you are moving/relocating to a different State.

I think your husband MIGHT have the best chance of finding work at the larger Upstate Cities rather than places that at VERY rural. For work opportunities, I think Syracuse, Rochester, & the Capital District Cities (Albany/Schenectady/Troy/Cohoes) would be the best. Schools located IN THE SUBURBS of the previously mentioned 3 Cities will be the best and BETTER THAN Center City Schools. Each City has less-expensive Suburbs AND MORE expensive Suburbs. The Lower Hudson River Valley will be MORE expensive. Utica/Rome/Herkimer and Watertown and Binghamton and other areas may have higher unemployment rates. I'll try to find those unemployment rates over the next several days for you. The Capital District Cities-together and Rochester have approximately the same population. Syracuse area population is a little more than HALF the population of Rochester. All three metro areas have a good quality of life. You don't have to live in the city areas; you can try to find a rental place in some of the suburbs OR countryside villages. Single Family rental homes are not always easily to find and the rent may be $950 to $1250 IN THE SUBURBS for one whole rental house; lower rents (lower than $950-$1250) in center cities are many times located in less-desireable neighborhoods or in crime areas. Rents might be less expensive in the countryside villages 20 to 30 miles OUT-OF the Suburbs & City area; for Syracuse those countryside villages would be villages like: Elbridge, Phoenix, Fulton, Central Square, West Monroe, Auburn, Weedsport, Port Byron, Canastota, Lakeport, Bridgeport. Single family homes are not always easy to find. When you live out in the countryside, then you may spend a lot on gas for your car to get to your CITY job.

If both you and your husband get jobs, your family will have an easier time with your living expenses. There are always nurse jobs available around Syracuse (5 hospitals & 1 children's hospital). But YOU probably aren't a nurse. Maybe there would be some type of jobs in the offices of the hospitals or offices of Syracuse University or Onondaga Community College; you know best about your qualifications/education/talents. You should do a lot of Internet Employment searches before you ever move to Upstate NY because YOU and your HUSBAND know best about your employment qualifications and the types of work you are qualified for. Your husband should look for employment with both LARGE construction/painting/drywall/insulation/roofing/home siding/window installation firms AND small contractors=who sometimes have the need for a good extra/talented worker.

I believe the Florida unemployment rate has been around 10%. Two or three months ago the New York State and the Syracuse unemployment rates were about 8%; I don't know the current rates HERE but I'll try to look them up for you.

I believe that you would like our Upstate New York region from Albany to Syracuse to Rochester but securing a job is the most important thing to CONCENTRATE on. I really wish your family the best luck; current times are difficult across the country.

grdnrman

Last edited by grdnrman; 10-12-2011 at 11:23 AM..

Unread 10-12-2011, 12:04 PM
Status: "most vulnerable when you have everything or you have nothing" (set 1 day ago)

Here is the latest unemployment rate chart for metro areas: Unemployment Rates for Metropolitan Areas

Unread 10-12-2011, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Here is the latest unemployment rate chart for metro areas: Unemployment Rates for Metropolitan Areas
Good chart ckhthankgod; glad to see it. It appears that unemployment (according to the figures shown) for the New York State cities have improved more from a few months ago when I saw 8% as pretty-much a GOOD unemployment rate. This chart should be helpful to CCA1965.

To CCA1965>> ckhthankgod provides a lot of GOOD info on City-Data; you can believe his messages.

grdnrman

Unread 10-12-2011, 02:37 PM

2,231 posts, read 1,234,343 times
Schools I learned abit about here the other day from one of the fellows above. They listed a rating site and the results were quite a surprise. The schools in Syracuse were horrible(no surprise), F-M was wonderful(no surprise) but the middle was harder to pin down. The schools here in Oneida are horrible but rated pretty darn well. Stockbridge is a great school but didn't do very well. Good luck on this, I'm so glad I'm out of the schools game.

Jobs at schools seem to be drying up. Your skills may transfer to private sector jobs of coarse but so will the other people so good luck.

Now painter I know alittle about. My friend is a painter, and while he is a iffy human he's a great painter. I assume we are talking house painter and no like art stuff. This area is tough to be a painter. Can only paint outside afew months a year. Most of the houses here are very old and have little value, estimates on mine were 7-8 thousand afew years ago and that would be a bit much on the values here. What little new construction we have is mostly sided. Inside painting is hit or miss, again the houses are cheap so hiring the best is kinda silly and new construction is rare. However NYC ALWAYS needs something painted so he does pretty well down there. Commuting to the city isn't really possible but if your husband doesn't mind staying in the city afew weeks at a time he can prolly spend what amounts to big money home Upstate.

Unread 10-12-2011, 03:04 PM

Here's an article from a year ago that could help in terms of companies: 'Meds and eds' help make Syracuse area a construction leader | syracuse.com

and more articles: The Greater Binghamton Business Journal > News > Search Archives

Unread 10-12-2011, 07:44 PM

Hello CCA1965,

City-Data member Sean is a good man with a lot of life experience and knowledge. Sean lives 30 to 35 miles east of Syracuse, whereas I live in the Suburbs of Syracuse. I'm sure Sean is correct about the price range of homes in his town of Oneida.

In the Syr. Suburb where I live, basically there are no homes with selling prices of lower than $85,000 unless that house is in REAL BAD condition. I know of 3 homes on streets near my neighborhood with asking prices between $95,000 & $99,999; these homes are good buys for those prices. Most homes in my Suburb range in price from a low of $125,000 to $275,000 and some more-upscale homes with asking prices in the high $300+ thousands.

So you can see the difference of home prices depending on what town or city where you live and buy a home.

We have best/top rated schools as well as above average schools in the Suburbs of Syracuse. Best/top rated schools: Fayetteville-Manlius, Skaneatles, Jamesville-Dewitt, Baldwinsville, West Genesee(Camillus), West Hill. Good above average (compared to rural & Syr. city schools) schools are: Cicero-North Syracuse, Liverpool, East Syracuse-Minoa. I do not know the ratings of other schools in our county.

YOU (the wife) should be able to find some sort of decent office (or other) job in a reasonable amount of time; there's lots of offices of all kinds for you to find employment. I'm sure you will NOT find a job in any school system because our schools have cut way-back in all areas of employment.

Employment for your husband may be more difficult, so he will have to be VERY determined, motivated, and open maybe to do more types of work than just painting. Even if your husband does not get the "perfect" job immediately, with both of you being employed your family should be able to make ends meet as long as you are frugal/careful with your money and expenses.

Again, you should do a LOT of Internet Searches for employment opportunities here in Upstate NY BEFORE you move here. We all know that Millions of people are unemployed across the country; New York State might be in better shape than some other States but good jobs in NY State are still not "a-dime-a-dozen"/not easy to get.

I sincerely wish your family the best of luck whatever you decide to do.

grdnrman

Last edited by grdnrman; 10-12-2011 at 07:56 PM..

Unread 10-13-2011, 03:38 AM

2,231 posts, read 1,234,343 times
I think I worded my post very poorly, its hard for me to type so I take shortcuts and often lose the syntax. It appears I said my house was worth 7-8K when what I meant was that's what what professional painters wanted to paint the house. I'd actually want high 50's for the house.

Which brings up another point, if her old man wanted to put some work into a house they can pick one up easy in the 50-60 range here and less if a foreclosure and so on. You do have to be careful about how much money you put in because you won't be getting it back. I make nice kitchens for people out of hardwoods but my own is made from melemine. A mahogany kitchen would look kind of odd here.

Oneida is 23 miles exactly from the city line of Syracuse. Thats by way of the near perfect Fayetteville. On schools F-M was rated an 8 while Oneida was a 7. Living here is very cheap, mostly because there is nothing to do. But I for one can spend a diaperload of cash in Syracuse so it evens out. Finding that Freedom of Expresso in Fayetteville is breaking me.

All my friends are in the different trades and they travel alot so a house in CNY is really just a base. They make good livings so it can be done. I live close to work and punch a clock, that would drive them crazy. The trades are a strange lifestyle of feast or famine but it can be done here as long as one goes in with there eyes open.

Unread 10-13-2011, 06:29 AM

Just keep in mind with the ratings, it is based on test scores and other criteria in comparison to the rest of the state: GreatSchools Ratings FAQ - Defining Your Ideal School | GreatSchools

Here examples from Onondaga County: http://www.greatschools.org/modperl/...ounty=Onondaga

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 10-13-2011 at 06:49 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York