U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 08:24 AM

6 posts, read 11,541 times

Advertisements

My husband, our 10 year old and myself are thinking of moving to upstate NY from NJ. Can anyone fill us in on these towns in terms of safety, schools, good, quiet places to raise children? Also, any bike trails nearby? Thanks.
Liberty
Naponach
Callicoon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2011, 09:33 AM

701 posts, read 1,168,074 times
Nothing much going on in any of those places; Sullivan County, located in the Catskill Mountains, is very rural. I would suggest staying a bit further south, perhaps in Orange County. Places that may be of interest to you are Pine Bush, Montgomery, Maybrook, Washingtonville, Chester, and Otisville.

Old 10-25-2011, 09:46 AM

655 posts, read 1,254,115 times
Default You must be referring to western Lower Hudson Valley Area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsadlonjo View Post
My husband, our 10 year old and myself are thinking of moving to upstate NY from NJ. Can anyone fill us in on these towns in terms of safety, schools, good, quiet places to raise children? Also, any bike trails nearby? Thanks.
Liberty
Naponach
Callicoon
Hello Isadlonjo,

I read your message that mentioned "Upstate New York" so I thought that I'd be able to help you with information. Then I read that you mean the towns of Liberty, Naponach, & Callicoon. I think that most of us real "Upstate" residents think of that area as the "Lower Hudson Valley" or "Southern Catskill Mountains Area"; I think we "Upstate" residents think of that area as "Downstate" NY.

Anyway, I think that you should write your message again and title it as follows: "Liberty, Naponach, Callicoon-Where should we move?" INSTEAD OF: "Thinking of moving to Upstate NY. How are these towns?".

Then you can ask about safety, crime, quality of schools, quiet places to raise children, availability of jobs, cost of homes, cost of living, nearby grocery stores & other stores, any biking trails, and other things. I think that you would receive more information from people WHO LIVE IN THAT AREA (if you mention the towns in your title) and really know about conditions in those towns.

Besure to check about jobs because Liberty-Naponach-Callicoon is VERY RURAL and far removed from cities unless you want to drive a long distance which takes a lot of gasoline/expense for your car.

I remember helping a family with information about moving to way-farther-north in Upstate NY, who lived in Olivebridge on highway Route 213 which is located northeast of Naponach. They said that Olivebridge was more expensive than in the "real Upstate NY" and Olivebridge was too isolated.

So, I recommend that you mention the towns in your title and besure that you want to live out in a VERY RURAL maybe ISOLATED area. Good luck to you.

grdnrman

Old 10-29-2011, 08:21 PM

4,268 posts, read 4,845,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grdnrman View Post
Hello Isadlonjo,

I read your message that mentioned "Upstate New York" so I thought that I'd be able to help you with information. Then I read that you mean the towns of Liberty, Naponach, & Callicoon. I think that most of us real "Upstate" residents think of that area as the "Lower Hudson Valley" or "Southern Catskill Mountains Area"; I think we "Upstate" residents think of that area as "Downstate" NY.

Anyway, I think that you should write your message again and title it as follows: "Liberty, Naponach, Callicoon-Where should we move?" INSTEAD OF: "Thinking of moving to Upstate NY. How are these towns?".

Then you can ask about safety, crime, quality of schools, quiet places to raise children, availability of jobs, cost of homes, cost of living, nearby grocery stores & other stores, any biking trails, and other things. I think that you would receive more information from people WHO LIVE IN THAT AREA (if you mention the towns in your title) and really know about conditions in those towns.

Besure to check about jobs because Liberty-Naponach-Callicoon is VERY RURAL and far removed from cities unless you want to drive a long distance which takes a lot of gasoline/expense for your car.

I remember helping a family with information about moving to way-farther-north in Upstate NY, who lived in Olivebridge on highway Route 213 which is located northeast of Naponach. They said that Olivebridge was more expensive than in the "real Upstate NY" and Olivebridge was too isolated.

So, I recommend that you mention the towns in your title and besure that you want to live out in a VERY RURAL maybe ISOLATED area. Good luck to you.

grdnrman
Syracuse isn't upstate either. Syracuse is in the Southern Tier, also known as Central New York.

Like another poster said, you're looking at a rural area, in or near the Catskill Mountains. Beautiful place, but not much industry.

Old 10-30-2011, 07:52 AM

2,370 posts, read 2,090,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Syracuse isn't upstate either. Syracuse is in the Southern Tier, also known as Central New York.

Like another poster said, you're looking at a rural area, in or near the Catskill Mountains. Beautiful place, but not much industry.
Syracuse is not part of the Southern Tier. Central NY and Southern Tier are two completely different areas.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...te_Regions.png

Old 10-30-2011, 08:37 AM

1,350 posts, read 1,923,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaichuk View Post
Nice of you to tell her how to write her post without answering any of her questions. That was very helpful of you.
There is nothing nitpicking about it, the title suggests the OP wants to move Upstate but the actual details within post have nothing to do with Upstate.

Old 10-30-2011, 10:12 AM

3,822 posts, read 2,154,970 times
The terms upstate and downstate always divided everything north and south of the metropolitan area. The regional names are totally separate from that and more specific: Southern Tier, Catskills, Hudson Valley, Capital Region, Adirondacks, Thousand Islands, Central New York/Finger Lakes, Long Island, etc. Until I joined this forum I never heard of any area of NY claiming "Upstate" to be their regional name. The OP wasn't specific (nothing wrong with that, they aren't from here after all), but they weren't totally wrong.

Old 10-30-2011, 10:45 AM
Status: "Write the vision and make it plain" (set 10 days ago)

31,522 posts, read 37,260,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
The terms upstate and downstate always divided everything north and south of the metropolitan area. The regional names are totally separate from that and more specific: Southern Tier, Catskills, Hudson Valley, Capital Region, Adirondacks, Thousand Islands, Central New York/Finger Lakes, Long Island, etc. Until I joined this forum I never heard of any area of NY claiming "Upstate" to be their regional name. The OP wasn't specific (nothing wrong with that, they aren't from here after all), but they weren't totally wrong.
Upstate is viewed generally as any part of the state north of whatever line people use. Some use north of Ulster, Dutchess and Sullivan Counties. Some use north of Rockland and Westchester(or Putnam) counties. Some even say north of the Bronx.

Then, you have subdivisions like Western or Central NY for examples.

Old 10-30-2011, 11:37 AM

3,822 posts, read 2,154,970 times
That is exactly my point ckhthankgod.

"Upstate" always meant somewhere north of what is considered the City and it's suburbs. "Downstate" was the exact opposite. Then, like every other state, there are "regions" that people generally accept as being different from each other for various reasons (not all reasons being purely geographical). I see on this forum though that a few posters seem to think "Upstate" is a "Region", meaning that the Southern Tier for example, is not a part of "Upstate". Other states use the terms "Upstate" and "Downstate" by the way.

Old 10-30-2011, 06:20 PM

603 posts, read 1,129,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaichuk View Post
Nice of you to tell her how to write her post without answering any of her questions. That was very helpful of you.
I think grdnrman wrote what he felt would help and or assist the op what's up with you hum..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York