Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 12:41 PM

3 posts, read 11,407 times

Advertisements

My fiance and I are trying to get Married in New York, either in or around NYC... We are having a winter wonderland wedding in December... I am searching for prices, right now our guest list is around 200.... Any suggestions for places with decent prices?? Thank you...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2011, 12:51 PM

7,844 posts, read 13,233,514 times
What do you consider "decent"? Not sure if you're not from NYC at all, but getting married in NYC can range in prices. What type of venue are you looking for and how much does your budget allow? Also, it's hard to find something in Manhattan that is not going to empty your pocket. Would you consider other boroughs or Long Island? My reception was at The Metropolitan

The Metropolitan

(edit) Just curious-you mean next December, right?

Old 12-02-2011, 01:00 PM

Yes, I am from New York... The boroughs, Long Island or Westchester is fine.. I would like to spend around $50 per person... I know that is hard to find but that is what i would like to stick to if possible... Anything lower would be greater, higher might be possible if it is really nice...

I am actually looking at December of 2014, i just want to get price idea's to know how much to save and if it is even going to be possible...

Old 12-02-2011, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissySimpkins View Post
Yes, I am from New York... The boroughs, Long Island or Westchester is fine.. I would like to spend around $50 per person... I know that is hard to find but that is what i would like to stick to if possible... Anything lower would be greater, higher might be possible if it is really nice...

I am actually looking at December of 2014, i just want to get price idea's to know how much to save and if it is even going to be possible...
Well, keep in mind that if you want to pay that price in 2014, you'll need to book now. In that case, you can scratch the Metropolitan lol. I got married 14 years ago and we paid $125 pp. December isn't usually an expensive month but I'm not sure about $50 pp. You need a large venue for that many guests and usually large venues may run pretty high. I just recently went to a party at Douglaston Manor. It's on the golf course. It was Halloween weekend when it snowed and I have to say, it was really pretty. The food was decent too. Are you looking for sit-down dinner or would you be willing to do buffet? With a big crowd buffets can be inconvenient. Also, would you be willing to not have an open bar? I don't recommend a cash bar but you could do only beer, wine and soda. Keep in mind, you get what you pay for so you may be sacrificing quality.

Old 12-02-2011, 01:35 PM

Would you be willing to get married on a Thursday? Just a thought. A co-worker just went to a wedding on a Wednesday lol

The douglaston manor

Old 12-02-2011, 01:45 PM

We are trying for Sunday December 7th, 2014... I would like to have an open bar, honestly even a hall that rents out space would be fine, if its a lower price, i could decorate it myself and we could do a buffet or something... 200 is how many people are going to be invited i doubt everyone will come, im going to say we will probly end up having 150 something closer to that...

Old 12-02-2011, 02:26 PM

Sometimes doing everything yourself can cost more money like ordering tables, chairs, linens, alcohol, etc. Many halls may negotiate the price or throw in extras. On Long Island there's Leonard's of Great Neck (I'm not a fan of theirs), Westbury Manor, Fox Hollow, Crest Hollow. In Queens there's Terrace on the Park and Douglaston Manor. You can always do internet searches on NYC wedding venues. Good luck

Old 12-02-2011, 03:31 PM

715 posts, read 2,509,197 times
I would imagine that the further you get from NYC, the better the rates will be. How about 50 miles up the Hudson at Anthony's Pier 9, south of Newburgh? I've been there and it is quite nice: Welcome to Anthony's Pier Nine

Old 12-02-2011, 03:44 PM

Dreamshot has an excellent point. My cousin got married in CT. The hall is very nice, beautiful grounds and I don't think it was very expensive. Just another suggestion

The Candlewood Inn: The Candlewood Inn

Old 12-05-2011, 01:04 PM

667 posts, read 1,744,342 times
figuring you have your max budget set at $10,000, why not reduce the party size significantly down, lets say at 75 guests. That would likely yield a head count of about 50 and you can then really throw a memorable event where all is likely included. You can likely rent a beautiful mansion like a home in the lower hudson valley are for example, hire a great private caterer with open bar included, hire a live band(maybe) and really be able to enjoy your time and guests. I've been to many 150+ weddings where the budget was OBVIOUSLY limited and not at all fun. And then I've been to some smaller weddings where it was mostly passed Hors d'oeuvres but still amazing food, amazing buffet style serving and top shelf liquour (even this is part of the Hors d'oeuvres hour) and sit down ends up being more of a fancy dessert to finish off the evening. Pick a great caterer and a convenient venue and all else will fall right into place.
Unless you have a large budget I just think $50/head is going to have you cutting corners eveywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York