Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 10:59 PM

469 posts, read 1,640,415 times

Advertisements

Pretty much you have to live in New York for a year without having any tie at all to another state. It's not that difficult but I feel bad for your girlfriend. She sounds like me - in Bergen, sick of it, and interested in eventually studying at a SUNY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2012, 06:02 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,091,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowOrNever View Post
I am over 21 but if I had to transfer now and pay the out-of-state tuitions - which college is the cheapest? That is what I meant by my question.
I don't think there is a master list, you need to simply select those schools that interest you and look at their websites for the out of state tuition rates. I am sure one of the online/printed college guides could provide you with a brief overview/cost of each school..

Old 02-15-2012, 06:11 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,831,744 times
Quote:
What is the cheapest New York state colleges for out-of-state residents? I plan to do college online - not if that matters - but if it affects the price it certainly does for an out-of-state student. Also, my question applies to both two-year and four-year institutions.
Here's the list of all SUNY online degrees you can get.

Online Degree, Online Course and Online Certificate Programs from the SUNY Learning Network and the State University of New York

Old 02-16-2012, 12:59 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,223,544 times
this is from the link provided by Buffalo Transplant and is most likely what tripped up Battle Hymn's GF

Quote:
Eligibility Basics

At SUNY's State-operated campuses (University Centers, University Colleges, and Technology Colleges), students are generally considered New York State residents if they have established their domicile in New York State for at least twelve months prior to the last day of the registration period of a particular term.
  1. Generally, individuals who have maintained their domicile in New York for a period of fewer than twelve months prior to the end of registration are presumed to be out-of-state residents and are not eligible for the resident tuition rate.
  2. Individuals who are financially dependent and whose custodial parent(s) lives in a state other than New York are generally not eligible for the resident tuition rate. However, students of divorced or legally separated parents may acquire a New York State domicile if the custodial parent is a New York State resident or if the student resides with a non-custodial parent who is a New York State resident and the student intends to continue to reside with that parent throughout their attendance at SUNY.
  3. Individuals do not meet the twelve-month residency requirement if domiciled in New York State primarily to attend college.
  4. Note: Non-resident students may be eligible for resident tuition if they have graduated from a New York high school or received a NYS GED within 5 years of application to SUNY. See below for details under exceptions to the Domicile Rule.
This is a tough one - especially if you move to NYS and start school right away. They see the date you moved, they see the date you started because of your transcripts and can determine that you moved here to attend school and were simply trying to slow play your way into "in-state" tuition

The best bet is to be completely free from your parents (they can't claim you as a dependent), get a job, get a rental document, get a license, get at least some kind of bill in your name at your local address, put in the change of address form with the post office, do everything to show that you are moving to the state to start your own life

After doing that for a year you'll have better luck with the reviewing board by saying "I moved here because things weren't great with my parents and I've always wanted to live & work in NYS - so I broke free to get on my feet ..... however, after working for a year I definitely do realize how important the need for an education is if I'm going to continue to live & work in this incredible state"

May still be a bit transparent, may still get shot down - but at least you give yourself some chance

Old 03-13-2012, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
this is from the link provided by Buffalo Transplant and is most likely what tripped up Battle Hymn's GF

[/list]This is a tough one - especially if you move to NYS and start school right away. They see the date you moved, they see the date you started because of your transcripts and can determine that you moved here to attend school and were simply trying to slow play your way into "in-state" tuition

The best bet is to be completely free from your parents (they can't claim you as a dependent), get a job, get a rental document, get a license, get at least some kind of bill in your name at your local address, put in the change of address form with the post office, do everything to show that you are moving to the state to start your own life

After doing that for a year you'll have better luck with the reviewing board by saying "I moved here because things weren't great with my parents and I've always wanted to live & work in NYS - so I broke free to get on my feet ..... however, after working for a year I definitely do realize how important the need for an education is if I'm going to continue to live & work in this incredible state"

May still be a bit transparent, may still get shot down - but at least you give yourself some chance
Thank you! So essentially, one must reside in the state for over twelve months as a complete independent to the very core. Appears easier than it looks in print but can be accomplished. I would love to start working in New York and eventually move their. After twelve months start attending school their. I assume this is true even for SUNY online programs such as Oswego?

Last edited by NowOrNever; 03-13-2012 at 10:22 AM.. Reason: Question re: Oswego in-state tuition

Old 03-19-2012, 06:43 PM

Do the strict online stipulations pertain to online degree programs such as SUNY Oswego?

Old 03-19-2012, 08:18 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,623,485 times
Quote:
Do the strict online stipulations pertain to online degree programs such as SUNY Oswego?
Yup. There are rarely exceptions to the requirements. Why not just do online classes where you live and get in state tuition?

Old 03-25-2012, 11:56 AM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
So if I moved over the border and stayed there for twelve months, after that I would receive the in-state tuition?

Yup. And the driver's license. They have a thing about driver's licenses.

Most SUNY schools are excellent with top notch instructors. The flagship schools are especially good - Albany, Binghamton, Stony Brook and Buffalo.
Geneseo is worthy of note, although it is not one of the four flagship universities. Most are standouts!

My daughter is considering Binghampton and Albany, and my sister went to Albany. As for my self, BA, Stony Brook University.

I was instate at the time. It's a good deal either way, but I would establish residency first.

Old 03-26-2012, 04:15 PM

Thank you so much for all of your assistance throughout this entire process. I would love to get a job over the border and eventually start studying at SUNY. The problem is, when I get a better job, I want to continue my education immediately.

Old 03-28-2012, 03:54 AM

4,135 posts, read 10,815,877 times
Quote:
Thank you so much for all of your assistance throughout this entire process. I would love to get a job over the border and eventually start studying at SUNY. The problem is, when I get a better job, I want to continue my education immediately.
The SUNY and CUNY system are getting hard up for money. SUNY Buffalo and I imagine many of the other schools and several CUNY schools are taking in more out-of-state for the tuition. Think of it this way: in-state tuition is maybe $7K and out-of-state is double. If you have 3 in-state kids, it is $21K. If you have 3 out-of state, you get twice that money for the same classes/same teachers.[[ My niece was accepted at every school she applied to (including all SUNY schools) but waitlisted at the one CUNY school she wanted: they flat out told her that getting the out-of-state students was more profitable. She went to a SUNY. She said it was absurd what they wanted for proof she was instate ( the kid has been born here, raised here, educated here, her license and passport are here and she lives here )... she said schools asked more than for enhanced ID licenses ( where you need to prove citizenship and address in NY)]]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York