Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 12:40 PM

18 posts, read 25,799 times

Advertisements

Its sad to read someone say they are depressed about moving to Binghamton although that is nothing compared to how she'll feel after moving there. But for another opinion, lets look at thisIT's a vibrant thriving town with well educated people. Most of the residents are thrilled to be living in the area. Naturally there is a significant amount of snow but the community has made the most of long winters by ensuring that there is plenty to do regardless of the weather. With skating, winter festivals galore in the winter, and all the events on the river in the summer, you couldn't possibly have time available to do it all:Rent a boat, enjoy all the concerts, carnivals and festivals riverside, spend days just admiring the merchandise being sold in the funky and upscale gift shops and wonderful cafes that line the rivers. There is an abundance of cultural offerings-the latest greatest of any art makes Binghamton one of its first stops-from museums to dance; avant garde live theatre, theatre in the round, the most recent movies, film festivals directed by very famous people in the industry, a summer theatre festival that attracts the hottest from Broadway in a series of shows that starts late spring and goes through the first frost (August). Naturally cultural activities are not complete without fine dining. With high end restaurants lining the beautiful boulevards of the city, you can't miss! If you want something quicker or, shall we say easier on your wallet than the kind of restaurants you find reviewing in Cuisine, stop in and try some of the smaller gourmet offerings, snacks, canapés, finger food or topas at the always creatively decorated cafes that overlook the rivers. The people are always beaming with hospitality. A happier more content population would be hard to find outside the boarders of the Greater Binghamton area and those in service positions are always eager to share their life perspectives with the happy travelers. And, if you want to settle in for a few weeks, you may want to try out the local supermarkets with aisles of the freshest produce and most exquisite gourmet offerings you will find outside of the most exclusive Manhattan markets. Walk the aisles and sample the amazing assortment of cheeses, fruits and lovely pastries. The arrangements of the food in each aisle makes Balducci's look like it is for the hop polloi. And when your belly is full and your mind is occupied with images from a day of culture, stroll down the city streets in the early evening and amuse yourself by watching the well heeled residents who socialize and shop until the wee hours of the evening. Could there be a better place to spend the rest of your life?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2012, 10:07 PM

30 posts, read 104,368 times
Question Any Luck???

Quote:
Originally Posted by denibeans63 View Post
Hi all. i have posted previously, and we are def moving to Bingo and we have been on a few go sees..and their isn't much to see. I am really concerned about where we are going to live. There are just NO new homes. we are looking to downsize - our home in burbs of buffalo is way too big for us. but we say about 7 homes - great areas - w side, s side, vestal , but all are OLD OLD OLD . 3 br and 1 bath? lots of work needed. Have looked at a few townhouses, but there is just nothing around. And although my husband is moving for a great job (and can come home every weekend til we find something - but temp housing only lasts 1 month), i am worried about finding a job there - doesn't seem to be much there either.

can anyone shed more light on the housing situation - what about townhomes or small patio homes> where can we find them?

and what is the job market like? non profit wise?

I am so depressed about moving
Hey There,

I see this post is from January but I was wondering if you had any luck with housing or with a job, we are scheduled to move to Bing in Sept and I am really nervous about the move, we are currently in Houston and this is a big chnage. My husband is from NYC and I am European, we are here because of his job but now its time to move. If you can give us any advice or suggestions I would so appreciate it...

Kind Regards,
Yakti

Old 07-27-2012, 10:23 PM

30 posts, read 104,368 times
Red face Positive Thoughts, Thank you.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binghamton View Post
Its sad to read someone say they are depressed about moving to Binghamton although that is nothing compared to how she'll feel after moving there. But for another opinion, lets look at thisIT's a vibrant thriving town with well educated people. Most of the residents are thrilled to be living in the area. Naturally there is a significant amount of snow but the community has made the most of long winters by ensuring that there is plenty to do regardless of the weather. With skating, winter festivals galore in the winter, and all the events on the river in the summer, you couldn't possibly have time available to do it all:Rent a boat, enjoy all the concerts, carnivals and festivals riverside, spend days just admiring the merchandise being sold in the funky and upscale gift shops and wonderful cafes that line the rivers. There is an abundance of cultural offerings-the latest greatest of any art makes Binghamton one of its first stops-from museums to dance; avant garde live theatre, theatre in the round, the most recent movies, film festivals directed by very famous people in the industry, a summer theatre festival that attracts the hottest from Broadway in a series of shows that starts late spring and goes through the first frost (August). Naturally cultural activities are not complete without fine dining. With high end restaurants lining the beautiful boulevards of the city, you can't miss! If you want something quicker or, shall we say easier on your wallet than the kind of restaurants you find reviewing in Cuisine, stop in and try some of the smaller gourmet offerings, snacks, canapés, finger food or topas at the always creatively decorated cafes that overlook the rivers. The people are always beaming with hospitality. A happier more content population would be hard to find outside the boarders of the Greater Binghamton area and those in service positions are always eager to share their life perspectives with the happy travelers. And, if you want to settle in for a few weeks, you may want to try out the local supermarkets with aisles of the freshest produce and most exquisite gourmet offerings you will find outside of the most exclusive Manhattan markets. Walk the aisles and sample the amazing assortment of cheeses, fruits and lovely pastries. The arrangements of the food in each aisle makes Balducci's look like it is for the hop polloi. And when your belly is full and your mind is occupied with images from a day of culture, stroll down the city streets in the early evening and amuse yourself by watching the well heeled residents who socialize and shop until the wee hours of the evening. Could there be a better place to spend the rest of your life?
Thank you for all of those thoughts and words of encouragement.... I am moving to Bing Sept 1st, and I dont know anything about the area, I have been told the West side / Riversid, trying to find a rental but no luck and we have a realtor. Any thoughts or suggestions would be helpful....

Kind Regards,
Yakti
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York