U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 01-19-2012, 08:01 AM
 
12 posts, read 36,620 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Thank you! I appreciate this!
We are in research mode, so I a sure I will be asking a little more questions. Thanks for the links!
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-19-2012, 08:12 AM
 
12 posts, read 36,620 times
Reputation: 10
Wonderful! Thank you!
So, Syracuse is about an hour away?
Looks like it is fairly easy to entertain a family.
Can you give me an accurate picture as far as weather is concerned? I've read alot of posts that make it seem as though it snows 9 months out of the year, and then others who define it as the "four seasons". Are kids getting out to trick or treat?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2012, 09:45 AM
 
51,955 posts, read 74,517,029 times
Reputation: 11488
Kids can Trick or Treat. Snow can get pretty bad in between the 2 cities at times(I'd say particularly between Brewerton and Adams), but it isn't a 9 month deal. It is 4 seasons, but the length of each can vary depending on the year. Utica and Rome are about an hour and 15 minutes to an hour and a half. I actually would commute from the Northern suburbs of Syracuse to Ft Drum for the last couple of months in the Army. So, it is pretty common in terms of going back and forth between the two areas.

Also, get an enhanced drivers license in order to go to Canada, if you don't have a passport: NYS DMV - Enhanced DMV Photo Documents for U.S. Citizens Who are Residents of NYS
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2012, 01:19 PM
 
12 posts, read 36,620 times
Reputation: 10
You have been so helpful! Thank you!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2012, 12:50 PM
 
5 posts, read 17,659 times
Reputation: 10
Moving to Fort Drum in the summer of 2012. can someone that lives there give me some information about the area and living on post?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2012, 12:54 PM
 
5 posts, read 17,659 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by almafojas View Post
I hope I am posting this in the right place. I'm excited to have encountered this website - we will be moving to Ft. Drum/Watertown NY area and I would love some input on a few things. We are a family w/ two children (5 and 2) and my biggest concern are 1. The school districts and 2. Entertainment for the kids during the winter (which I know is pretty much all year long). I think I have found pretty good info on the schools, but I would love to see what people do with their kiddos during the long winter months. Are there indoor play areas? Or do kids get used to the cold and hang out outside? We are currently in OK, but we lived in WA state prior. I don't mind the cold, and am used to remote areas at this point - I just have my kids in mind....
Also, any suggestions on where to live would be great.
Thanks so much!
Quote:
Originally Posted by almafojas View Post
You have been so helpful! Thank you!

Hey, When are you guys going to be there? Are you going to move on post?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2012, 01:18 PM
 
51,955 posts, read 74,517,029 times
Reputation: 11488
Quote:
Originally Posted by mywonderfullife View Post
Moving to Fort Drum in the summer of 2012. can someone that lives there give me some information about the area and living on post?
What do you want to know? If you enter Fort Drum in the search space, you can find plenty of information on the area and the post. I was stationed there in the early 2000's. So, I know a few things.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2012, 01:34 PM
 
5 posts, read 17,659 times
Reputation: 10
Is it true that there is really nothing outside of post? Is it easy for people to travel to Canada? I also hear that wait list for on post is pretty long? Do you think I should go over there and look around and put us on the list? My husband will be there in May and I will go in August? How are the Indian River Schools?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2012, 02:24 PM
 
51,955 posts, read 74,517,029 times
Reputation: 11488
Quote:
Originally Posted by mywonderfullife View Post
Is it true that there is really nothing outside of post? Is it easy for people to travel to Canada? I also hear that wait list for on post is pretty long? Do you think I should go over there and look around and put us on the list? My husband will be there in May and I will go in August? How are the Indian River Schools?
There is a Wal*mart and some restaurants and shops just outside of post on Route 11 that popped up after I left in 2003. So, there are some things, but most people go into Watertown for more things to do and shopping. Arsenal Street is where the mall and strip of many stores and restaurants are located.

Yes, it is easy to travel to Canada, but you need either a passport or an enhanced driver's license.

Housing has been pretty tough to come by and some soldiers were taking a shuttle from the Syracuse area an hour away. There has been new housing built in the area. So, it might not be as bad as it has been. I would put myself on the list, but also it will depend on what kind of housing you are looking for.

Indian River Schools seem to be fine and don't forget that a third of the base is in the Carthage central SD, which is also fine. It is a family friendly area and is largely safe, with some things to do for kids. There are Catholic schools as another option and other districts like 1000 Islands and General Brown are regarded highly, but there aren't any awful school districts either. Much of the diversity in the area comes from the military, but Syracuse is only an hour away if you want more things to do.

Also, check out the nice communities like Alexandria Bay, Clayton, Cape Vincent and Sackets Harbor. There is a zoo and Old McDonald's Farm in the area. There are a couple of beaches and if you like the outdoors, it is a great area to live in.

New York schools - NY elementary, middle and high school information

New York schools - NY elementary, middle and high school information

VISIT THE 1000 ISLANDS

Housing

Home - Fort Drum Mountain Communities

Fort Drum Housing :: Fort Drum, NY Housing & Relocation Information

MapsKrieg - Watertown, NY - Apartments, Rooms, Sublets, and Real Estate for Sale

Watertown Home Rentals, Homes for Rent in Watertown NY, Apartments, Houses for Rent, and Rental Homes in Watertown, New York



Anything else?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2012, 05:44 PM
 
5 posts, read 17,659 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
There is a Wal*mart and some restaurants and shops just outside of post on Route 11 that popped up after I left in 2003. So, there are some things, but most people go into Watertown for more things to do and shopping. Arsenal Street is where the mall and strip of many stores and restaurants are located.

Yes, it is easy to travel to Canada, but you need either a passport or an enhanced driver's license.

Housing has been pretty tough to come by and some soldiers were taking a shuttle from the Syracuse area an hour away. There has been new housing built in the area. So, it might not be as bad as it has been. I would put myself on the list, but also it will depend on what kind of housing you are looking for.

Indian River Schools seem to be fine and don't forget that a third of the base is in the Carthage central SD, which is also fine. It is a family friendly area and is largely safe, with some things to do for kids. There are Catholic schools as another option and other districts like 1000 Islands and General Brown are regarded highly, but there aren't any awful school districts either. Much of the diversity in the area comes from the military, but Syracuse is only an hour away if you want more things to do.

Also, check out the nice communities like Alexandria Bay, Clayton, Cape Vincent and Sackets Harbor. There is a zoo and Old McDonald's Farm in the area. There are a couple of beaches and if you like the outdoors, it is a great area to live in.

[URL="http://www.greatschools.org/modperl/bycounty/?stateselect=ny&county=Jefferson"]New York schools - NY elementary, middle and high school information[/URL]

[URL="http://www.greatschools.org/modperl/bycounty/?stateselect=ny&county=Lewis"]New York schools - NY elementary, middle and high school information[/URL]

[URL="http://www.visit1000islands.com/visitorinfo/"]VISIT THE 1000 ISLANDS[/URL]

[URL="http://www.drum.army.mil/PublicWorks/Pages/Housing.aspx"]Housing[/URL]

[URL="http://www.fortdrummch.com/"]Home - Fort Drum Mountain Communities[/URL]

[URL="http://fortdrumhousing.com/"]Fort Drum Housing :: Fort Drum, NY Housing & Relocation Information[/URL]

[URL="http://www.mapskrieg.com/view/watertown/"]MapsKrieg - Watertown, NY - Apartments, Rooms, Sublets, and Real Estate for Sale[/URL]

[URL="http://www.rentals.com/New-York/Watertown/"]Watertown Home Rentals, Homes for Rent in Watertown NY, Apartments, Houses for Rent, and Rental Homes in Watertown, New York[/URL]



Anything else?
WOW!!! thank you for all the great info! How is the job market there for civilians? I work for the government now and I will like to transfer there but I am not sure how the job market will be when I get there. Do you know of people that tried to get a job on post and were successful or were not.
How about the daycare?
Do you know about the community college there? Is it any good? From my understanding they also have a daycare on site, is this true?
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top