U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 07:16 AM

12 posts, read 34,487 times

Advertisements

I hope I am posting this in the right place. I'm excited to have encountered this website - we will be moving to Ft. Drum/Watertown NY area and I would love some input on a few things. We are a family w/ two children (5 and 2) and my biggest concern are 1. The school districts and 2. Entertainment for the kids during the winter (which I know is pretty much all year long). I think I have found pretty good info on the schools, but I would love to see what people do with their kiddos during the long winter months. Are there indoor play areas? Or do kids get used to the cold and hang out outside? We are currently in OK, but we lived in WA state prior. I don't mind the cold, and am used to remote areas at this point - I just have my kids in mind....
Also, any suggestions on where to live would be great.
Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 08:31 AM

47,358 posts, read 67,289,689 times
I was stationed at Drum from 2000-2003 and I'm from Syracuse. It does not snow all year long. I take it as sarcasm, but some people actually believe things like that.

In terms of schools, the districts that the base kids go to school in(Indian River and Carthage) are fine. Other districts like 1000 Islands, General Brown and Sackets Harbor are fine. There are others as well. You also have Catholic schools(Immaculate Heart Schools) too. There are a couple of Christian schools too. There aren't any terrible school districts though.

As for things to do in the winter, there is a Science Center, a zoo and sledding at Thompson Park. Syracuse is about an hour away. During the other seasons, there is plenty to do within an hour drive for children.

Watertown, NY - Official Website - Parks & Recreation

Home Page

Scitech - Home

Antique Boat Museum

North Country Library System | Serving the Libraries of Jefferson, Lewis, Oswego, and St Lawrence counties for more than 60 years...

You can also enter in search Fort Drum for more information.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:13 AM

Thank you so much for your response and info!

Old 01-18-2012, 09:39 AM

No problem. Do you know where you will be living in the area?

Old 01-18-2012, 11:18 AM

Not sure yet. We got orders yesterday, and we are not moving until the end of the year. Looks like the housing market is pretty tight, so we may put ourselves on the wait list on post. We also going to look around the Watertown area. Sackets Harbor looks amazing, but it is quite a way for us - we are not experienced snow drivers, so I'm a little nervous about that commute.
Are there certian neighborhoods you might recommend?

Old 01-18-2012, 02:30 PM

I'd say Black River, the South Side of Watertown around Washington Street, Evans Mills, Calcium, Great Bend and parts of the East Side of Watertown(outer State Street). Maybe West Carthage and Carthage too.

Keep in mind that there really aren't any seriously bad neighborhoods in the area. Some may be more working poor/class in Watertown, but I wouldn't say that there are any really bad areas of town.

Also, the roads/streets tend to be cleared in a timely manner, due to being prepared for snow. So, you don't have to necessarily limit yourself in terms of housing areas.

This may help too: MapsKrieg - Watertown, NY - Apartments, Rooms, Sublets, and Real Estate for Sale

Colonial Manor Apartments - Watertown NY | Dawn Homes Management

Eagle Ridge Village - Watertown, New York's Newest & Finest Apartment Community

WatertownNYApartments - Home

Starwood Apartments, Watertown, NY

Old 01-18-2012, 04:59 PM

This is seriously great! Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. We are looking forward to moving - the area seems really nice.

Old 01-18-2012, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by almafojas View Post
This is seriously great! Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. We are looking forward to moving - the area seems really nice.
It is family friendly and there is enough to do so that they aren't bored.

Old 01-19-2012, 05:54 AM

120 posts, read 258,298 times
My partner is from Watertown and my in-laws still live there.
I agree with what the previous poster said about school districts, nothing awful. Take a look at this. It's a ranking of all districts in Upstate New York. The Watertown area is included

2011 Upstate school district database - Buffalo - Business First
This link lets you sort on Region of which "Watertown area" is one.

Also there's a great news website called Newzjunky that has all kinds of information about Northern New York.

Watertown NY Breaking News | Newzjunky | Fort Drum | Watertown New York | Newz, News, Obituaries, Weather, Homes Apartments Auto North Country Thousand Islands Newspaper Lowville Carthage Ogdensburg

It's a neat site. It has all kinds of news from around the area and beyond and information about just about everything in Northern New York. We've gotten on it when we're going up to visit for a weekend (we have 2 children ages 8 and 11) to search for activities going on in the area.

Good Luck. We have friends with children in the Watertown area so if you have any more questions, let us know and we'll try to get answers.

Old 01-19-2012, 07:30 AM

You might like the info. here as well: Home

VISIT THE 1000 ISLANDS
Thousand Islands | 1000 islands | Tourism Info | Images Thousand Islands Region

State Park Search Results - NYS Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation

Official Website: Alexandria Bay Chamber of Commerce, Thousand Islands NY

Official Boldt Castle Website – Alexandria Bay NY in the Heart of the 1000 Islands

Welcome to Old McDonald's Farm

Jefferson County Fair

http://www.watertownwizards.com/

Home Of The Watertown Red & Black

Salmon Run Mall

★★★ Enchanted Forest Water Safari ★★★ New York

The Great New York State Fair :: August 23 to September 3, 2012 :: Syracuse, NY

Museum Information - Milton J. Rubenstein Museum of Science &amp Technology

Open Hand Theater

Carousel Center

Sylvan Beach NY Oneida Lake, Amusement Park, Dining, Services and Entertainment Guide, New York

Home | National Museum of Play (about a couple of hours away)

Fort Rickey Discovery Zoo. Rome, New York

and more........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York