U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-07-2010, 04:03 PM
Status: "Game recognized game from the start" (set 21 days ago)

30,311 posts, read 35,014,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
Consolidation of some of the smaller districts into larger ones; yes. Countywide school districts; NO! Had to deal with that mess in NC and it was just that...a mess. In fact what I've gathered from catching up on the NC forum and reading the Raleigh News&Observer online; it appears that Wake County (where Raleigh and its suburbs are located, the 2nd largest school system in the state) has just elected several new memebers to its board of education who are pushing for more neighborhood schools. (This is controversial because though there would still be a county-wide school district; it would essentially re-segregate many of the schools to a degree)
Actually, earlier in this thread, I posted an article from the Syracuse P-S, where a Syracuse univ. professor used Wake county as an example of a good county school district. It is interesting how that article mentioned how people on the board wanted to go back to neighborhood schools and that test scores have actually gone down recently. Some think that the decrease in scores have to do with having "harder" tests though.

Personally, if you a county is to go to a Countywide SD, I would still keep the same district lines and call them zones and have an open enrollment system like Minnesota. I'm more in favor of combining smaller districts with no HS and towns with more than one district like Colonie, Hamburg, Troy(which has Lansingburgh and Troy City), Cheektowaga and Amherst.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 12:32 AM

2,846 posts, read 6,036,297 times
I'm in favor of consolidation of school districts, but only at the administrative level....in other words, keep the same districts, same zoning, same schools, same teachers, etc. - just eliminate the redundancy between all of them. One board of ed, one superintendent, one maintenance dept., share resources, blah blah blah. Anything more than that, I don't really see how there would be any more savings, yet there would be massive potential to really screw up some great districts.

Old 01-08-2010, 12:46 AM

3,514 posts, read 2,461,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Actually, earlier in this thread, I posted an article from the Syracuse P-S, where a Syracuse univ. professor used Wake county as an example of a good county school district. It is interesting how that article mentioned how people on the board wanted to go back to neighborhood schools and that test scores have actually gone down recently. Some think that the decrease in scores have to do with having "harder" tests though.

Personally, if you a county is to go to a Countywide SD, I would still keep the same district lines and call them zones and have an open enrollment system like Minnesota. I'm more in favor of combining smaller districts with no HS and towns with more than one district like Colonie, Hamburg, Troy(which has Lansingburgh and Troy City), Cheektowaga and Amherst.
I really disagree. Just because one of the problems that faces us is white flight from the cities. All four upstate cities (lol, sorry redheaded step-child Utica) have faced it, but in Buffalo it is most apparent. Buffalo's rate of abandonment almost rivals Detroit. The only way to re-invigorate our cities, which will be necessary anyway as gasoline becomes more expensive, is to stop the racial divide and I think consolidating into county school districts is a solution to that. No zones, no preserving the status quo. And it's better for our youth. I was a middle class kid going to a rich high school and I didn't appreciate it at all; I will be prejudiced against rich people for the rest of my life because of the elitist BS I went through there.

I don't even try to hide my radically liberal agenda

Old 01-08-2010, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
I really disagree. Just because one of the problems that faces us is white flight from the cities. All four upstate cities (lol, sorry redheaded step-child Utica) have faced it, but in Buffalo it is most apparent. Buffalo's rate of abandonment almost rivals Detroit. The only way to re-invigorate our cities, which will be necessary anyway as gasoline becomes more expensive, is to stop the racial divide and I think consolidating into county school districts is a solution to that. No zones, no preserving the status quo. And it's better for our youth. I was a middle class kid going to a rich high school and I didn't appreciate it at all; I will be prejudiced against rich people for the rest of my life because of the elitist BS I went through there.

Trust me, I am all in favor of integrated schools and such. My thing is will it cut down the gaps between racial/ethnic groups in achievement? For example, while the Wake County SD in NC had great test scores for it's students, there was still an achievement gap between Blacks and Whites.

Also, will there be flight from certain area of the county if people start getting the "they are taking over" syndrome? For instance, Cleveland Hill SD outside of Buffalo is about 30% Black now and supposedly there has been some tension there at times. I will say that while it's not the most sought after SD in the Buffalo area, it's still "good". So, it's will be interest what would happen if that played out.

I thought about this for Onondaga County and would use 4 county sd's like this:
Onondaga County North SD with Henninger High(now Syr. City SD HS), Liverpool, Cicero-North Syracuse(currently No. Syr. SD) and Baker High(Baldwinsville SD)

Onondaga County East SD with Nottingham High(SCSD), Jamesville-DeWitt, East Syracuse-Minoa and Fayetteville-Manlius

Onondaga County West with Fowler High(SCSD), Westhill, Solvay, West Genesee, Marcellus, Skaneateles and Jordan-Elbridge

Onondaga County South with Corcoran High(SCSD), Onondaga Central, LaFayette, Tully and Fabius-Pompey

Institute of Technology(aka Central Tech)(SCSD) would be a magnet school for kids all over the county to attend. An arts HS would be great to have and would also be a magnet school starting at grade 5(if I had my way).

I think a plan like that would work as each of the zones/districts would have an urban HS, along with suburban HS's. All of the schools would be open to anyone within those zones/districts. So, if your a kids on Syracuse's West Side and you want to go to West Genesee, you can, for example.

For counties with one urban HS, I can see having a simple Countywide SD like Albany County, for example.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 01-08-2010 at 11:22 AM..

Old 01-11-2010, 10:22 AM

1,720 posts, read 2,019,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Now if we consolidate school districts, how would we go about it? Would we go with a total county school district? Would people in say Williamsville really want to share the same school district with people that live in Buffalo's East Side or Garden City sharing the same district with those from Hempstead? Could it stay with the same district lines, but under a county moniker and 1 superintendant or would it be one of open enrollment? If it is open enrollment, would it be like it is in Minnesota and Wisconsin where the tax dollars follow the student, the student will have to find a way to get to the school and the school they want to go to will have to have room for the student? So, in turn, it makes schools more competitive in keeping students.

What about county sectional/regional districts? Meaning, you create a district by the location of where it sits within that county(say East Erie, Southtowns, North Erie, etc.....).

Maybe consolidate the districts of one town could be an option. For instance, instead of Cheektowaga having 4 school districts, what about consolidating them? If you do that though, you would have to cut some jobs in order to see a serious reduction of costs, or otherwise you would just consolidate with the same people and systems in place just under one figure in charge. Other towns similar to Cheektowaga that could posssibly to do this area: Amherst, Colonie, Rotterdam and Onondaga.

What about law enforcement instead? I know of places where you can have coverage by a village, town and county agency. So, why not consolidate law enforcement agencies? I know of some towns doing that like the town of Clay, which abolished it's town police force and their former officers are now a part of the Onondaga County Sheriff's department. Clay happens to be one of the safest towns in the US, by the way.

It's a good idea in theory, but then you wade into the socially incidary waters of mixing poor preforming students w/ good ones. I don't think it's about race anymore either, since I know lots of Minority families who leave ****ty school districts as well, for the same reasons.

NYC, for example, has city-wide open enrollment. NYC's schools, are a mess, and it is a big reason so many middle-class families of all stripes bail once the kids reach school age.

Old 01-11-2010, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
It's a good idea in theory, but then you wade into the socially incidary waters of mixing poor preforming students w/ good ones. I don't think it's about race anymore either, since I know lots of Minority families who leave ****ty school districts as well, for the same reasons.

NYC, for example, has city-wide open enrollment. NYC's schools, are a mess, and it is a big reason so many middle-class families of all stripes bail once the kids reach school age.
Unless they can get into the magnet or high performing schools by taking a test.

Old 01-12-2010, 11:06 PM

22 posts, read 39,469 times
Sounds interesting. Put it in a formal way and we will see how the trial will go for settlement about this issue. :P

Old 01-25-2010, 08:38 PM

2 posts, read 2,103 times
This is an interesting proposition. If I had to divide New York into two separate states I would put NYC, Orange, Rockland, Nassau, Suffolk, Westchester, Putnam (and maybe some of southern Dutchess county) into one category and the rest of the counties into the other. These counties seem to differ the greatest from the rest of the state. Also because NYC, Rockland, Nassau, Suffolk, Westchester, and Putnam counties are some of the richest in New York and the country.

Old 06-03-2010, 09:57 PM

448 posts, read 547,576 times
Default Well, what's next?

It seems that based on a lot of what is written in this thread, that there is a lot of support for the idea of forming the state of Upper York. What is the next step? The New York constitution must have something in it that pertains to this issue. There must be a way to start the ball rolling so that we can finally dissolve our ties to Albany and downstate and find our destiny as a free and independent people. We've been under the boot of oppression too long. Any posters to this thread with knowledge of the legal means to set this in motion, please write.

Old 06-04-2010, 03:42 PM

151 posts, read 438,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post

What you are advocating is forced integration rather than allowing parents of all races to have a choice. Trust me there is allot minority families that leave these neighborhoods for the same reason that whites do. As for "white flight", the solution you propose may just create an additional flight to white counties.

Racism works both ways. Most kids are not born racist and it is a learned behavior. Perhaps if the MSM, Hollywood and politicians did not preach that white people are racist white kids would not be subject to abuse from their minority peers and thus would be less of a factor in the reason for "white flight".

We need less consolidation and go back to small neighboorhood schools where teachers and schools have a connection with the community. Combine that as someone else said here with consolidation of administrative services.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York