Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 06:20 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,712,998 times

Advertisements

Cuomo should not be blamed for anything. The corrupt, criminal school administrators should be blamed for not cutting costs in places that don't effect the children's education.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2012, 07:10 PM

852 posts, read 1,442,380 times
I don't think the tax cap is going to have the impact everyone thinks.
However, I would like to propose the following idea to cut costs. Why not make those fat, lazy kids WALK to school, instead of getting bus rides to and fro? They'd be healthier, we'd be helping the environment, and the taxpayers would save a substantial dollar or two. Let's stop babying them!

Old 02-22-2012, 08:00 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,743,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woody516 View Post
I don't think the tax cap is going to have the impact everyone thinks.
However, I would like to propose the following idea to cut costs. Why not make those fat, lazy kids WALK to school, instead of getting bus rides to and fro? They'd be healthier, we'd be helping the environment, and the taxpayers would save a substantial dollar or two. Let's stop babying them!
Bus drivers make squat. It would literally save a dollar or two. We all know where the bulk of our tax dollars are going...

http://www.city-data.com/forum/23090307-post6.html

/

Old 02-22-2012, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
Bus drivers make squat. It would literally save a dollar or two. We all know where the bulk of our tax dollars are going...

http://www.city-data.com/forum/23090307-post6.html

/
I think you're sadly mistaken to think it'd only save a dollar or two - districts spend millions.

http://www.portnet.k12.ny.us/cms/lib...r%20Busing.pdf

Eliminate bussing altogether and let the kids walk!

Old 02-22-2012, 09:20 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,125,537 times
Quote:
I think you're sadly mistaken to think it'd only save a dollar or two - districts spend millions.

So let me get this straight: We're supposed to walk 5 miles uphill every day. What is this? The 1860s?

In some instances, there's savings that could be squeezed out. For instance, if the public transportation system is adequate, some districts could give out bus passes rather than run school buses. In other cases, they could do what the article said and try to stagger the bell times or stop accomodating the students who aren't using it. They could even get rid of the requirement that all students need a seat (at least from middle school onward). But students should still have transportation to school.

Old 02-22-2012, 09:37 PM

999 posts, read 2,357,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
You can thank the TEACHERS' UNIONS for that!

Yet another reason why I believe public sector unions should be ILLEGAL.

You're blaming the union....... WHO do you think said to the union leaders "this is what we want"

Are you insane? you want to blame the union and the union ARE the teachers . . .

Wow what a way to take the blame off the greedy teacher teaching your kid and blame the union. . .. This is the thinking that makes me want to see the end of the world this december, ***** i want it to happen tomorrow. . . .
Did your kids teacher say they didn't want the 100,000 or 120,000 or 150,000 dollar salary for the whopping part time position as per days worked or which it MAY be 165 days of work they do per year, which is a laid out plan of attack in which they follow, and then get all kinds of other benefits, but its the unions fault because designated delegates barter with the supers to get the TEACHERS what they ASKED for .. . . . .

ANYONE thinking of moving here pay attention to the logic around this retarded island that is what you are moving to. . . . don't blame the teachers for turning there half a year job into a full year super premium best benefits and paying job on and after retirement, blame THEIR union that they make up. . .

teaching kindergarten 100k, 1st grade 100k, 2nd 100k, 3rd grade 100k, any grade 100k or more, any other non academic class not needed for your kid to prosper later on in life pay em 100k. .. BECAUSE you the stupid people believed "do it for the kids, the kids will suffer if you don't pay us more and increase your property taxes 4 fold"

BLAME YOU ! ! ! ! IT was YOU they fooled into helping them get to these wonderful CEO like salaries, when you figure in the days spent they're all big time CEO's.

. And again i ask, are the schools REALLY that good out here....

Old 02-22-2012, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
But students should still have transportation to school.
Right.....and mandate extra periods of gym class to help fight childhood obesity (actually passed into law a few years back in NYS), lol.

Old 02-22-2012, 09:47 PM

Quote:

You should see the bs with bussing. . .

1. the bus drivers aren't professionals

2. they are picking kids up that are literally like 100 feet from the school, i have to bite my tongue when im dropping my kids off not to yell at the lazy scum bag parents standing outside there house 100 feet away from the damned front door of the school, it makes me f'in insane, damned lazy pos walk them to the damned door, in the time you idiots are standing there waiting for the bus you coulda walked them to the door and been back home.

3. bussing should be the same when i was a kid, if you're more than 2 miles away you get a bus, if not you walk . . . .

Old 02-22-2012, 10:02 PM

7,786 posts, read 8,024,746 times
I was born and raised on LI and saw the way things were going back in the 70's and freaking left.I now live in a 4 br victorian in a small town in SW CO with prop taxes of 600$ per year and we have great schools. You folks bent over and begged for it and now must live with it. Glad I left when I did. Go west young man was never more true.Had Elk backstrap for dinner tonite

Old 02-22-2012, 10:14 PM

I can get into the elk backstraps. . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York