Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 11:23 PM

387 posts, read 605,425 times

Advertisements

I'm planning a visit with my sister (I live in Northern Maine, she lives in Rockland County, NY; always go down to see her at least once every 2 or so years, at least that's the average frequency), and I was wondering if I should include it on my list of things to do. She's told me that she has already been there, but I haven't been to ANY caves in my lifetime(not even semi-private caves up here), and I'd like to check that off on my "Things To Do Before I Die" list, you know that list everyone keeps in their head.

That will be the closest cave to where I'll be (in the general area of Nyack). So does anyone here have any reviews of that place? How far is it from Nyack?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2007, 05:48 AM

417 posts, read 1,885,883 times
My guess is that it'd probably take you a bit over 2 hours from Nyack.

I went there as a kid something around 30 years ago, and through the eyes of a kid it was pretty cool. Not sure how it would stand up to the eyes I have now (seen that, done this, etc. etc.), but I plan to check it out again someday when I have time...

Old 09-07-2007, 06:57 AM

136 posts, read 776,286 times
I visited Howe Caverns back around 1961 or so. It was pretty interesting. If you want to see a nearby cave, I guess this one's as good as any.

Old 09-07-2007, 07:15 AM

45 posts, read 260,797 times
i went as a child and loved it. i revisited howe caverns about two years ago and i still enjoyed the tour. my grandson, eight at the time, enjoyed it too!

the actual tour takes about an hour or so, if i remember correctly, maybe a little longer. you want to wear sturdy walking shoes or sneaks (no flip flops or sandals!) as you will be going up and down some stairs, in addition to walking a lot. there's no real "climbs" as they have put in stairs and even old out of shape me was able to navigate fine.

at the farthest end of the cavern there is a little boat ride in the cavern and if you're lucky, the guide will turn off the lights. our guide was very knowledgeable and allowed my very inquisitive companion to walk along and ask every question an 8 yr old boy could think of!

at one point they stop the tour and you can have a picture taken with your guide. i think that cost $10 but you don't have to take it, if you don't want. (i also forget how much it cost to get in, but it was reasonable.)

they also have a souvineer shop and i think they have a petting zoo, altho when we went it was cold so it was closed.

also, we went after an especially rainy time so there were lots of sounds of running water etc.

since howe caverns became such a success, there have been many other caves opened to the public in the same area. i haven't been to them but howe's cavern is a nice (cool 50 degrees always under ground) trip.

hope you get to see them.

Old 09-07-2007, 10:49 AM

131 posts, read 790,371 times
My cousin and his family went to Howe Caverns a few years ago and really enjoyed it (they happened to be down there when that big East Coast blackout happened--they didn't even realize what was going on until they left the cavern and went down the street looking for a restaurant. Apparently the cavern has its own generator system.)
I went there as a child, too, and remember it being very dark and quite cool (bring a sweater/jacket with you.) The only thing I would say is that it isn't the place to go if you're claustrophobic. You really do get the feeling that you are under the earth. But I guess you wouldn't be thinking about going if you had that problem!

Old 09-07-2007, 12:35 PM

267 posts, read 967,396 times
Default Caves

Secret Caverns is also fun. I've been to both, and like each for different reasons. Have fun!

Secret Caverns Website
Secret Caverns. Roadside America
Howe Caverns: Year Round Adventure

Old 09-08-2007, 05:20 PM

110 posts, read 495,156 times
I went there with my children back in 96, they liked it and so did I . While you are up there you should visit cooperstown, if you haven't done so already.

Old 09-08-2007, 05:30 PM

6 posts, read 31,240 times
Our singles group (adults) went for a weekend to that area and visited Howe Caverns. As adults we all enjoyed it. Very reasonable cost-wise.

Old 09-10-2007, 07:27 AM

709 posts, read 927,963 times
Yes Howe caverns back in the mid 1960s, we just took out a picture of the family on one of the boats in the cavern, my sisters and my late mom. Shedding a tear. Fun wonderful day.

Old 09-10-2007, 07:34 PM

4 posts, read 14,093 times
Secret Caverns is very close to Howe Caverns and my family enjoyed it more. At Howe, you're in groups and we felt sort of like herded cattle. It is very cold and can be slippery, especially when getting in and out of the boat, obviously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York