U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 09:39 PM

176 posts, read 375,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbieny View Post
Yeah I think if you leave around 7 - 7:30 you should be fine to cross TZB..colleagues of mine have been doing it for years
Thanks. Leaving that early isn't a big deal especially if I stay out of traffic.

Anyone have new construction in Rockland? I see quite a bit of 4/3 2,700SQ FT in Nyack for $630K or so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2012, 02:52 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,940,297 times
You get a lot more new construction options in Orange County; plus some OC neighborhoods like Warwick and Goshen have schools that are comparable to Rockland.

And as Wilton mentioned, your commute is going to be horrible anywhere from Rockland anyway so maybe might as well go with a place where you get 100% of the top things you're looking for - lots of sqft/acres, new construction, less polluted air and lower taxes than Westchester.

Whether in OC or Rockland, the best commuting option would be the express bus.

Old 06-17-2012, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
You get a lot more new construction options in Orange County; plus some OC neighborhoods like Warwick and Goshen have schools that are comparable to Rockland.

And as Wilton mentioned, your commute is going to be horrible anywhere from Rockland anyway so maybe might as well go with a place where you get 100% of the top things you're looking for - lots of sqft/acres, new construction, less polluted air and lower taxes than Westchester.

Whether in OC or Rockland, the best commuting option would be the express bus.
I don't understand how the Express Bus would be better than NJ transit to WTC area.

Old 06-17-2012, 09:59 PM

/\/\

As Wilton had alluded, the NJT train that runs through Rockland is unreliable and slow, with multiple stops. So while it may look convenient in the map, using it it real life is a different experience. It is not like taking the MNR from Southern Westchester.

Old 06-18-2012, 07:28 PM

Quote:
/\/\

As Wilton had alluded, the NJT train that runs through Rockland is unreliable and slow, with multiple stops. So while it may look convenient in the map, using it it real life is a different experience. It is not like taking the MNR from Southern Westchester.
There are two lines in Rockland via NJ transit. Both lines will be like that? All of NJ suffers from this? For a WTC commute, this seems like the best option.

Old 06-18-2012, 08:23 PM

1,761 posts, read 1,029,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAgosto View Post
There are two lines in Rockland via NJ transit. Both lines will be like that? All of NJ suffers from this? For a WTC commute, this seems like the best option.
The eastern line is s - l - o - w. Conveniently, there are some great bus lines (I used to use one of the private company routes extensively until it got cancelled ) from there that go faster and make it a simple bus --> subway trip. The western line is faster on paper (never been on it personally), but (a) the school districts are weaker out there and (b) going east/west through Rockland (also on the 287, but, you probably already know that) during rush hour can be a nightmare (not merely in terms of time, but, in terms of variance - not so bad if you have a flexible start time, but still no fun). Heck, I was caught in a 1.5 hour traffic jam once going east/west the length of the county, without an accident on the road, on a SUNDAY.

You will not be able to replicate a Westchester commute in Rockland. That is in large part WHY it is cheaper.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:06 PM

The commute comments are confusing. From our house, it's about 10 minutes to the Hartsdale/Scarsdale train station, then 36 minutes to Grand Central Station, a few minute walk to the subway (4/5) which is notoriously unreliable, 15-45 minutes to go 3 stops to Fulton Street, and then a 10-15 min walk to her building right on the water for a total 1 hour and 10 minutes to an hour in 40 minutes.

The NJ transit schedule/map (http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/rail/Rail_System_Map.pdf) is clearly listed for both the Bergen County Line and Pascock Valley Line. For example, With either of the NJ lines, it would be the under 1 hour (from as far north as Tuxedo Park in Rockland for the Bergen County Line and Nanuet for the Pascock Valley Line) to Hoboken and then a transfer to the PATH which is 1 stop to WTC, and then less than 5 minute walk. I understand there are less frequent train stops but I don't see how it wouldn't be a far better commute than what we currently have. What am I missing?

Old 06-19-2012, 06:33 AM

The best way to figure out the NJT on both lines is to take several trips on it oneself at different times/dates. As many had already alluded to, it looks convenient on paper but the actual experience can be quite different. Also, express buses tend to run more frequently which you should take into account. If your SO misses her scheduled bus, there will be another one leaving shortly after.

It looks like what complicates her present commute is the subway ride from GC to Fulton. I don't know if there's an express bus that goes to Vessey but there are that go to Port Authority and from there take the faster A train to Fulton/Chambers.

Point is, the bus probably runs more frequently than the train plus you get to choose newer construction homes with bigger sqft and good schools.

Tuxedo Park is in Orange County. It's a great community as are Goshen and Warwick.

Last edited by Forest_Hills_Daddy; 06-19-2012 at 06:46 AM..

Old 06-19-2012, 12:14 PM

Quote:
The best way to figure out the NJT on both lines is to take several trips on it oneself at different times/dates. As many had already alluded to, it looks convenient on paper but the actual experience can be quite different. Also, express buses tend to run more frequently which you should take into account. If your SO misses her scheduled bus, there will be another one leaving shortly after.
The frequency is definately lower than Westchester so that is a consideration. However, unless the schedule is lying and it takes longer than the examples above, it's a no brainer. I am still not sure why it would be questioned.

Quote:
It looks like what complicates her present commute is the subway ride from GC to Fulton. I don't know if there's an express bus that goes to Vessey but there are that go to Port Authority and from there take the faster A train to Fulton/Chambers.
Yes, the 4/5 is terrible in rush hour. Do you have any information on the available trains to Port Authority (or any other potential route to WTC).

Quote:
Point is, the bus probably runs more frequently than the train plus you get to choose newer construction homes with bigger sqft and good schools

Tuxedo Park is in Orange County. It's a great community as are Goshen and Warwick.
I think Tuxedo Park would be the max given the train commute unless buses go from this area. I think that's about the farthers north we'd want to go.

Old 06-19-2012, 01:28 PM

The A train in PA is reliable. If that doesn't work, there's the C,E,1,2,3 to choose from. They all come out of PA and none of them will take 45 mins to get downtown. Honestly, 45 mins from midtown to Fulton is unacceptable.

As for the trains, the best way to judge the Passaic line is to try it yourself. Don't just look at the schedules. When we tested it, it took >1hr to get to and from Nanuet from Hoboken. And I didn't measure the time it took to ride the PATH.

Yup, NYC buses go to Goshen and Warwick in OC and the commute will probably be >1hr as well. It could take a little longer to commute via bus from Goshen/Warwick vs. train from Nanuet (though buses will run more frequently), but you'll also have a harder time finding new construction and large sqft at your stated price in Nanuet or anywhere else in Rockland. As someone posted, most Rockland housing stock in good school areas in that price range is 1960s/1970s ranch or cape cod.

I don't know the housing stock in Tuxedo Park but if you can find one that fits your budget and specs there, it owuld be a good place to move to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York