Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 12:23 AM

505 posts, read 2,335,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlex929 View Post
Hey Joey thanks for the quick reply. I'm trying to weigh my options on whether to take a chance and move up to NY or take another job back in Dallas where most of my family and friends are.

So according to mapquest Orange County is only about 90 minutes from NYC... is that true? Or does traffic end up making it longer?

Do you know if crime is bad up there? I just need to figure out some of this stuff before I randomly move up to New York only to find out that I accidentally moved into the ghetto or something. I mean the last thing I need is to spend thousands of dollars moving myself to the opposite side of the country to a bad neighborhood.

I'm planning on most likely getting an apartment since I won't even have roommates at least for a while, so I'm assuming any kinds of property taxes won't really have an effect on me. Thanks again

Alex
No problem at all. You really don't have to worry about crime here at all unless (looking at statistics online) you end up in the City of Newburgh or the City of Middletown, otherwise the rest of Orange County just has your avg amount of crime (I would assume) for any normal town, if not less.

Good luck!

~joey
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2007, 09:05 AM

9 posts, read 38,338 times
Default Moving to Orange County

We are thinking about relocating from Westchester over to Orange County as well. Can anyone give us some imput on the morning trip across the NB bridge?

Old 11-13-2007, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleygirl97 View Post
We are thinking about relocating from Westchester over to Orange County as well. Can anyone give us some imput on the morning trip across the NB bridge?
When you say NB bridge...I can only assume you are talking about the Tappan Zee Bridge. It just depends on what time you hit the bridge. I had to be in the office at 10AM when I worked in Purchase and it took me 45 minutes to get there from Monroe. But when I had to be there at 9AM, it could take up 1.5 at the possible worst.

My advice is to come up and take the drive when you would take it that way you know if you can handle it or not.

~Joey

Old 11-13-2007, 09:28 AM

9 posts, read 38,338 times
Thanks for the reply Joey...I was referring to the Newburgh-Beacon bridge. We are planning a couple of "test" commutes, but was hoping the get some imput from someone already doing it.

Old 11-13-2007, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleygirl97 View Post
Thanks for the reply Joey...I was referring to the Newburgh-Beacon bridge. We are planning a couple of "test" commutes, but was hoping the get some imput from someone already doing it.
the Newburgh-Beacon Bridge to my knowledge is not bad at all, I could be wrong though...but it can't be anywhere near as bad as the tapp...

~Joey

Old 11-13-2007, 09:15 PM

30 posts, read 160,055 times
Default Commute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlex929 View Post
So according to mapquest Orange County is only about 90 minutes from NYC... is that true? Or does traffic end up making it longer?

ALEX, 90 MIN OR EVEN LESS CONSIDER THAT YOU WON'T BE TRAVELING IN ANY RUSH HOUR SINCE YOUR JOB WILL BE IN THE OC. HAVING THE CITY SO CLOSE IS A PLUS
ALSO, DEPENDS WHERE YOUR JOB WILL BE YOU SHOULD TAKE A TRIP AND VISIT THE AREA AND CHECK DIFFERENT PLACES THERE ARE SOME PRETTY NICE AREAS AND APARTMENTS BUT LIKE EVERYWHERE IF YOU LOOK FOR THE BAD AREA YOU WILL PROBABLY FIND IT SO DON'T LOOK FOR IT

Old 11-14-2007, 02:40 PM

4 posts, read 16,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CONNOR'SMAMA View Post
ALEX, 90 MIN OR EVEN LESS CONSIDER THAT YOU WON'T BE TRAVELING IN ANY RUSH HOUR SINCE YOUR JOB WILL BE IN THE OC. HAVING THE CITY SO CLOSE IS A PLUS
ALSO, DEPENDS WHERE YOUR JOB WILL BE YOU SHOULD TAKE A TRIP AND VISIT THE AREA AND CHECK DIFFERENT PLACES THERE ARE SOME PRETTY NICE AREAS AND APARTMENTS BUT LIKE EVERYWHERE IF YOU LOOK FOR THE BAD AREA YOU WILL PROBABLY FIND IT SO DON'T LOOK FOR IT

well thanks... i do appreciate all the help. I realize that i wont be traveling in rush hour traffic into the city, but i was just trying to find out what it would be like if i did decide to go there. is there any other way to describe what orange county is like?

Where i live now is in the middle of west texas, and although we're in a city of about 200000, we are still 5 hours from any real city (dallas)...so I'm just trying to find out the differences between all these places. Dallas is a real fun city and i have another job offer there so im just trying to weigh all my options now.

Anyone happen to have lived in both? Or at least been to both?

Old 11-14-2007, 09:42 PM

3 posts, read 8,125 times
Alex

Just thought I would offer my 1/2 cent worth as we have been in the process of relocating to Orange County for the last three months - my husband already working/living in area due to job relo. We lived in the Dallas suburbs for almost ten years. We now have lived in MI for a couple of years, and I thought anything would be better than living in MI but after many trips to NY and much research, I would tell you to think long and hard about making this move. I can tell you from experience that the Dallas area really has one of the best "quality of life" you'll find. In addition to being raised and living in midwest, attending college in the "deep" south, and some extensive travel in the west, I still would pick Dallas area first. Having looked at NY/Orange County... once you get past the shock of housing prices, taxes, insurances, etc... the next thing that your going to notice is the difference in people. This is not to say that one group is better than the other just different; but if your used to the warm, friendly, honest ways of many people in Texas your going to be in for a surprise. Fortunately, I've lived in MI for a few years and they "toughened" me up a bit. Hands down, I would move back to Dallas area in a heartbeat. And knowing what I know now, I would never have left in the first place. Just a little fyi Orange County is quite rural compared to anything in the Dallas area - lots of small towns - nothing like the Dallas metroplex until you get closer into NYC. "The grass is not always greener on the other side" - take it from someone who has learned the hard way!

Old 11-16-2007, 01:01 AM

11 posts, read 49,111 times
Hi BKADA,
I read your post about your consideration to relocate up to
Orange County.
My name is Rich.
Orange County offers more for your dollar than most places
closer to the city. Depending upon your price range and
lifestyle, it varies as to what villages and towns might suit
your interests best. Many of the larger towns are diverse in
demographics, which might be more to your needs.
Best Wishes,
Rich

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 11-16-2007 at 01:44 PM.. Reason: realtor solicitation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York