Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 10:11 PM

9 posts, read 43,756 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking at property to purchase so we can build a home. We have narrowed it down to 2 parcels of land. One is in the Goshen Central School District and the other is Valley Central. I am torn between the two. I've always heard good things about Goshen schools. I haven't heard anything bad about Valley Central schools, only that they are a very "athletically focused" district. I do like that they have a swim team...Goshen doesn't have a pool. But, pool or no pool, I'm more interested in a good school environment that has academically challenging courses first and a wide variety of school activities second. Any opinions out there to help me choose between the two districts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2012, 10:27 PM

715 posts, read 2,509,501 times
I am a 2009 graduate of Valley Central High School; was in the district the whole way, from Kindergarten to 12th grade. Bias aside, the Valley Central District is top notch - can't do much better. Do you have elementary aged children? Junior High or High School aged? Just wondering so I can inform you about the various elementary schools within the district (if applicable).

As for the education: Teachers are approachable and most are pleasant. I still keep in touch with some of my junior high and high school teachers. I was prepared very well for college. Many AP and courses for college credit are offered - I was able to rack up 21 college credits before actually departing off to college! I have great memories at VC and would recommend it, solely based on education, to anyone.

As for the sports: Many sports are played here. Wrestling and swim team are usually quite successful. Pool is nice and often available for open swim. Wouldn't necessarily call the district "athletically focused" - nothing greatly separates it from other schools in the area. Regardless, if your child is in to sports, he/she will have many options at Valley Central.

I have only heard good things about Goshen, too. I know a few people that graduated from Goshen and have no complaints. Great school in a great town - the County Seat of Orange County, in fact. Courses for college credit are offered.

In short, you can't go wrong with either. Your child(ren) will be appropriately challenged and receive an excellent education at either district.

Out of curiosity, where is your parcel of land in the VC district located - Montgomery?

If you have any further questions, do not hesitate to ask!

Old 03-14-2012, 01:15 PM

Thanks for the words of encouragement about Valley Central Schools! My boys would be going to Montgomery Elementary. Our oldest will be in 2nd grade next year. I have only heard great things about the elementary school so that is a huge plus.

The land is across the street from Thomas Bull Memorial Park.

Old 03-18-2012, 08:07 AM

55 posts, read 110,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metar28 View Post
The land is across the street from Thomas Bull Memorial Park.
My aunt and uncle had a home in the same area, right on Quarry Road. Very nice area - generally large parcels of land, pretty quiet, and fond memories of walking up the hill to the park to watch their annual fireworks show. Close enough to shopping to not be a hassle to get to, but enough of a "country" feel to not have to be subject to a lot of commotion.

Old 03-18-2012, 09:28 AM

Yes, Quarry Road. That is where we are looking. Seems really nice. Wish it was a little closer to shopping, but it's hard to complain about being only 15 minutes away. We're just spoiled because we are only 5 minutes now so that would be a bit different for us.

Old 03-18-2012, 10:20 AM

715 posts, read 2,509,501 times
Grocery store (Montgomery Shoprite) is only 5 minutes away. All other major retail (Middletown) is about 15 minutes away.

Quarry is quite secluded and you shouldn't see much in the way of car traffic at all. Most definitely a country feel. Train station is right down the road in Campbell Hall & you are only 1hr 20min from NYC.

Old 05-06-2012, 10:28 PM

Just curious... Been looking through the 2010-2011 NYS District Report Cards for Goshen and Valley Central. Noticed that only 39% of Valley Central graduates received a Regents Diploma with Advanced Designation vs. 53% of Goshen's graduates. Are there more opportunities for advanced education in Goshen?

I have not heard anything bad about Valley Central schools but I have been told that there are a lot of cliques in the Goshen schools and that kids there can be pretty mean. Also heard that drugs can be a problem at the high school level since a lot of families in the Goshen District are affluent, there is more exposure / availability of illegal substances... although I don't think the access to drugs is nearly as bad as it is in Warwick. Apparently there are kids in that District doing cocaine, heroin, etc. down in Warwick. Additionally, someone was saying that there has be a large influx of migrant worker children into the Goshen school district and this is causing low test scores and bringing the overall standing of the District down slightly.

Just curious what kind of opinions are our there. Thanks.

Old 05-07-2012, 07:09 AM

211 posts, read 431,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metar28 View Post
Just curious... Been looking through the 2010-2011 NYS District Report Cards for Goshen and Valley Central. Noticed that only 39% of Valley Central graduates received a Regents Diploma with Advanced Designation vs. 53% of Goshen's graduates. Are there more opportunities for advanced education in Goshen?

I have not heard anything bad about Valley Central schools but I have been told that there are a lot of cliques in the Goshen schools and that kids there can be pretty mean. Also heard that drugs can be a problem at the high school level since a lot of families in the Goshen District are affluent, there is more exposure / availability of illegal substances... although I don't think the access to drugs is nearly as bad as it is in Warwick. Apparently there are kids in that District doing cocaine, heroin, etc. down in Warwick. Additionally, someone was saying that there has be a large influx of migrant worker children into the Goshen school district and this is causing low test scores and bringing the overall standing of the District down slightly.

Just curious what kind of opinions are our there. Thanks.
I would say drugs are a problem in many school districts in the area. Used to be that Newburgh and Middletown were the ones of concern but that was 15-20 years ago. I have heard the stories of Warwick's issue and would say this is mainly due to the riff-raff that usually generates from the Greenwood Lake area. Monroe Woodbury has had a major problem in the last ten years, with kids as young as 6th grade getting caught with Meth and Oxycontin. They are usually good at keeping this stuff under wraps as not to ruin the reputation of the school. Cant speak to much to VC or Goshen districts but would caution moving to the Goshen area for various other reasons besides choice of school systems. Think about any private schools?

Old 05-07-2012, 07:34 AM

Zakas80 - interesting reply. Thanks for the information. Just curious, can you clarify, "...would caution moving to the Goshen area for various other reasons besides choice of school systems." I'm always receptive to hearing others' opinions regarding the towns around here.

To answer your question about private schools... No, we haven't looked into it. Just not in the budget to do both a new house and private schools. To tell the truth, we are skeptical that a private school system would have any advantage over a public one. But, I'm sure it all boils down to which district / schools you are comparing.

Old 05-10-2012, 05:10 PM

1,644 posts, read 1,663,918 times
Zakas80 I would also like to know what the other reasons are you would caution against moving to Goshen?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York