Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 10:20 PM

2,290 posts, read 3,806,722 times

Advertisements

Olean (pop. 14,452) is the largest city in Cattaraugus County (pop. 80,317) and has an Urban Cluster population of 22,324. Located within the Allegheny Plateau and along the Allegheny River's 30 mile foray through Southwestern New York, Olean is about 1 1/2 hours drive south of Buffalo. Just a few miles north of the Pennsylvania border, Olean's major transportation link is I-86 (Southern Tier Expressway), which ties together the major centers of NY's Southern Tier and Erie, PA.

The small area surrounding Olean is the only part of New York not covered by the last glacial maximum, resulting in a dissected plateau region more rugged than the rounded hills of the rest of New York's portion of the Allegheny Plateau.

Olean was founded in 1804 and grew in the mid-1800s as a timber town and regional transportation center. In the late 1800s, Olean grew further as the oil pipeline hub for the oil boom in Northwestern Pennsylvania. Olean's population peaked in the 1950s at 24,000, which is when the oil industry left the city. Olean has maintained importance as a manufacturing center (Dresser-Rand), HQ of Cutco Cutlery, regional commercial hub and home of St. Bonaventure University.

Allegheny Plateau Vista a few miles southwest of Olean... the Southern Tier of New York is the northernmost extent of Appalachia.

The Allegheny River just south of Downtown

Dresser-Rand factory

St. Bonaventure (enrollment 2,400) is a Franciscan university on the west side of Olean. Its men's basketball squad made the Final Four in 1970. Notable alums include Fox News business analyst Neil Cavuto.

The Village of Allegany(pop. 1,816) is located just a couple miles west of Olean on the other side of St. Bonaventure's campus. I was expecting to just drive through this area on my way to I-86 and other destinations... assuming these area would be mundane suburbia, but Allegany's gorgeous business district compelled me to stop.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 10:44 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,517,382 times
Wonderful pictures of old smalltown USA. I think I'll take a drive down to Olean and just scout around. Thanks.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:32 AM

91,948 posts, read 122,044,192 times
There is a lot of character in the architecture there. I need to take a trip down there one day. I had some classmates in HS that went to St. Bonaventure too.

Old 04-03-2012, 07:52 PM

969 posts, read 2,058,452 times
Very nice. If you head to Olean, I recommend rt. 417 through the southern tier, beautiful drive.

Old 04-04-2012, 02:59 PM

719 posts, read 1,545,185 times
Great photos Evergrey! One of my most favorite areas of our country is the Southern Tier of WNY.
Another really pretty little town, just down I-86 east, is Angellica, NY. Worth a visit for sure.
What prompted your visit to Olean?

Old 04-04-2012, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD_JT_14221 View Post
Great photos Evergrey! One of my most favorite areas of our country is the Southern Tier of WNY.
Another really pretty little town, just down I-86 east, is Angellica, NY. Worth a visit for sure.
What prompted your visit to Olean?
I'm a native of nearby St. Marys, PA. I'd like to photograph some more Southern Tier communities in the future.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:42 PM

434 posts, read 1,118,906 times
Beautiful work! Enjoyed the trip back to the Southern Tier. Thanks!

Old 04-04-2012, 09:57 PM

275 posts, read 789,055 times
Default Re: Olean, NY Photo Tour

Nice photos. Never been to that part of NYS. I am intrigued by the fact that with the exception of a couple of photos towards the end, most of the other photos show absolutely no human activity. Almost seems like a ghost town. What day of the week were these taken? Nobody out and about? No kids playing? Just curious.

Old 04-04-2012, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlandoyankee View Post
Nice photos. Never been to that part of NYS. I am intrigued by the fact that with the exception of a couple of photos towards the end, most of the other photos show absolutely no human activity. Almost seems like a ghost town. What day of the week were these taken? Nobody out and about? No kids playing? Just curious.
I certainly do not shy away from capturing human activity in my "urban photos"... however, Olean is a small town... so there isn't the volume of pedestrians you will find in a major city.

I can't remember what day of the week it was... but there was intermittent rain (you can see a raindrop on my camera lens in several photos... ugh)... which probably kept people inside. Olean didn't seem dead to me when I visited... but you're right... some of the pictures are desolate... I'm surprised how most of my downtown photos feature zero cars in the diagonal parking spots.

Old 04-06-2012, 12:20 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,501,051 times
Gorgeous architecture! Thanks for sharing with us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York