Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 05:25 PM

459 posts, read 720,445 times

Advertisements

I'm planning an epic vacation to New York--to be implemented in the summer. I have already made a few other threads on the subject that some may remember.

I have asked before about cool places to visit in Manhattan and/or the boroughs, but now I'm wondering if I should visit Upstate NY, too.

Even if I am going to, what is good to see there? Any cool little towns? Or generally nice places to see?
I mean there must be some, but YOU must give me suggestions.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 06:48 PM

92,164 posts, read 122,387,927 times
As for towns: Sackets Harbor, Clayton, Alexandria Bay, Cooperstown, Old Forge, Saranac Lake, Lake Placid, Skaneateles, Cazenovia, Clinton, Hamilton, Aurora, Seneca Falls, Mayville, Lake George, Ticonderoga, New Paltz, Owego, Trumansburg, Sylvan Beach and Cape Vincent, among other.

You may like Ithaca, Corning, Canandaigua, Geneva, Oswego, Plattsburgh, Saratoga Springs, Glens Falls, Oneonta and parts of Auburn in terms of smaller cities.

There may be certain neighborhoods of the major and mid major Upstate cities that you may like too.

There's also the Adirondacks, Catskills, the 1000 Islands, Niagara Falls, Letchworth State Park, the Finger Lakes, Howe Caverns and more.

If you like scenic routes, maybe a drive along Routes 3, 20 or 5 would be something that you like.

Is there anything specific that you would like to do here? Hopefully, you will enjoy your trip to NY.

ILOVENY | The Official New York State Tourism Site-Home

Old 04-11-2012, 07:55 PM

969 posts, read 2,061,006 times
Upstate NY has one of the more diverse landscapes in the east, lots of great history & natural features, most NYers don't even know it very well... you probably should spell out in detail what you're seeking.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:52 PM

715 posts, read 2,500,352 times
Also, what is your definition of 'Upstate New York?' Anything north of New York City? If so, this opens up the entire Lower and Mid Hudson Valley for discussion...

Old 04-11-2012, 10:27 PM

I believe so. Like I said, I've never been to NY at all before (and it always drove me crazy because I went to many states on the Eastern seaboard and yet always managed to not have time for NY--which is fine because its not a state to see in a day IMO) so I'm unsure.

I suppose, yes that I do want to see Seneca Falls for historic reasons; other towns that I have heard of like Oneonta, Cooperstown and Ithaca are also must-sees.

In general, could you give some specific highlights to seeing those towns I didn't mention and the Adirondack Mountains?

Thanks again for all the help.

Old 04-12-2012, 12:04 AM

715 posts, read 2,500,352 times
Since you are going to venture several hundred miles upstate, I'll try to give you some suggestions for the Lower/Mid-Hudson Valley en route to the upstate.

Heading north out of NYC:

1) Explore Westchester County 'Rivertowns' - some of the wealthiest suburbs in the United States: Hastings, Dobbs Ferry, Ardsley, Irvington, Tarrytown, Philipse Manor, Scarborough, Ossining, Croton-on-Hudson, Peekskill...

2) Cross the Bear Mountain Bridge @ the northern terminus of Westchester County -> into Orange County

3) Follow Route 9W North in Orange County for tremendous views of the Hudson Valley (Storm King Mtn. / West Point / Mt. Beacon / Catskills in the distance)

4) Continue north toward New Paltz -- really cool college town with a lot of character. Towering Catskills just to the west of the town. May be worth checking out Mohonk.

Old 04-12-2012, 03:54 AM

92,164 posts, read 122,387,927 times
For instance, Cape Vincent, Clayton, Alexandria Bay and Sackets Harbor(somewhat) are small communities in the 1000 Islands Region. Sackets Harbor has a historic, quaint feel to it due to a War 1812 battle that was fought there and its cute set up. There is a battlefield site there, as well as a petting zoo on a farm, a beach and wineries close by. You have Uncle Sam Boat Tours near Alexandria Bay. There's Boldt Castle on one of the islands. Clayton has an Antique Boat Museum. Cape Vincent has a French festival.

Hamilton and Clinton are small college towns with a New England village look and feel to them. Colgate University is in Hamilton and Hamilton College is in Clinton.

Along with Seneca Falls; Canandaigua, Geneva, Aurora, Auburn, Trumansburg and Skaneateles are in the Finger Lakes region, which is known for its wineries. Each vary to some degree in terms of size and character. Ithaca and Corning(somewhat) is also associated with is region. Most are on or very close to one of the 11 lakes. Watkins Glen is another place of note in the region as well. Skaneateles may be the most upscale of the bunch. Trumansburg has a bit of a crunchy vibe and is close to Ithaca. Auburn has some interesting history. You have the Raceway at Watkins Glen. Waterloo, between Seneca Falls and Geneva, is viewed by many to be the birthplace of Memorial Day.

Old 04-12-2012, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamshot View Post
Since you are going to venture several hundred miles upstate, I'll try to give you some suggestions for the Lower/Mid-Hudson Valley en route to the upstate.

Heading north out of NYC:

1) Explore Westchester County 'Rivertowns' - some of the wealthiest suburbs in the United States: Hastings, Dobbs Ferry, Ardsley, Irvington, Tarrytown, Philipse Manor, Scarborough, Ossining, Croton-on-Hudson, Peekskill...

2) Cross the Bear Mountain Bridge @ the northern terminus of Westchester County -> into Orange County

3) Follow Route 9W North in Orange County for tremendous views of the Hudson Valley (Storm King Mtn. / West Point / Mt. Beacon / Catskills in the distance)

4) Continue north toward New Paltz -- really cool college town with a lot of character. Towering Catskills just to the west of the town. May be worth checking out Mohonk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
For instance, Cape Vincent, Clayton, Alexandria Bay and Sackets Harbor(somewhat) are small communities in the 1000 Islands Region. Sackets Harbor has a historic, quaint feel to it due to a War 1812 battle that was fought there and its cute set up. There is a battlefield site there, as well as a petting zoo on a farm, a beach and wineries close by. You have Uncle Sam Boat Tours near Alexandria Bay. There's Boldt Castle on one of the islands. Clayton has an Antique Boat Museum. Cape Vincent has a French festival.

Hamilton and Clinton are small college towns with a New England village look and feel to them. Colgate University is in Hamilton and Hamilton College is in Clinton.

Along with Seneca Falls; Canandaigua, Geneva, Aurora, Auburn, Trumansburg and Skaneateles are in the Finger Lakes region, which is known for its wineries. Each vary to some degree in terms of size and character. Ithaca and Corning(somewhat) is also associated with is region. Most are on or very close to one of the 11 lakes. Watkins Glen is another place of note in the region as well. Skaneateles may be the most upscale of the bunch. Trumansburg has a bit of a crunchy vibe and is close to Ithaca. Auburn has some interesting history. You have the Raceway at Watkins Glen. Waterloo, between Seneca Falls and Geneva, is viewed by many to be the birthplace of Memorial Day.
Thank you for your help. I was originally going to stay in the NYC area, but you guys changed my mind.

Thanks again.

Old 04-13-2012, 01:17 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,201,085 times
Dreamshot has good advice. Mohonk Mountain House (and its location) is a gem. One of the most beautiful places on Earth in my highly biased opinion :-)

Old 04-14-2012, 07:00 AM

130 posts, read 425,151 times
Also don't forget to visit the city at least once before you trip ends. It's well worth the experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York