Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 08:27 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
What immigrants have moved into the Utica area? Are there jobs there that are attracting them? I've not heard about any particular immigration to Utica. I do agree that organized crime was always present in the upstate area, at least back in the 50's - 70's. After that, I was out of touch with that area until a recent trip in 2005.
Utica has had immigrants/refugees from Bosnia, Vietnam, the Sudan and some other countries for about 20 years or so. Bosnians make up about 7-10% of the city's population and has formed clubs and I believe a bank too. PolicyOptions Wiki / Refugee Resettlement - Utica, NY

Bosnian Islamic Association Of Utica

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/19/nyregion/19towns.html

KORANA BOSNIAN RESTAURANT -- UTICA, NY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2012, 02:15 PM

70 posts, read 165,248 times
The east side of Utica is about 25% foreign born in Bosnia I believe. Also huge numbers from Cambodia and Somalia.

Old 04-26-2012, 12:36 PM

628 posts, read 663,212 times
a lot of good points and information in this thread. A couple of thoughts:

1. I truly feel upstate is rebounding. for years too many elders held on to the manufacturing base as their economic life line. Now, the old guard is slowly being replaced by the new one, and fresh ideas and innovation are begining to sprout up (green, service, tech, are all embraced now).

2. weather. A fellow former long islander posted about the weather and I have to agree/disagree with their assessment. I agree that the weather is "worse" up here than on the island. I disagree in the extent. it is simply not that much worse. dont forget, there is often coastal blizzards in nyc metro that do not touch upstate. Simply put, its no picnic on li either. However, we as a community need to stop harping on it - particularily when speaking with outsiders.

3. taxes -this is/has been the deathnail for upstate for years. However, many tax incentives (pilot, brownfield, etc...) are in place to attract business. Sure, Buffets not moving berkshire here anytime soon, but with a few more modifications to our tax policies I strongly believe that business, and more importantly corporate business will begin to come here.

4. same goes for propert taxes. I always laugh when people in boston or philly metro talk about how low our COL is. I always, think, "yeah its a cheap home price, but wait til you get your property tax bill." anyways, something has to be done to get this under control.

5. the "doom and gloom" attitude of old upstaters is also giving way. Many of my fellow young professionals who are settled here and begining to raise families and buy homes are more optimistic than the prior generation. My father always asks people why they would move here, I ask people why they wouldnt.

6. the upstate renaissance is happening.

Old 04-27-2012, 08:02 AM

2,410 posts, read 5,821,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndicottNewYork View Post
The east side of Utica is about 25% foreign born in Bosnia I believe. Also huge numbers from Cambodia and Somalia.
I'm wondering what jobs there are in the Utica area that these immigrants would be drawn too. It sounds like a lot of immigration, which could add needed diversity to the area, but how are they supporting themselves economically?

Old 04-27-2012, 10:49 AM

70 posts, read 165,248 times
Quote:
I'm wondering what jobs there are in the Utica area that these immigrants would be drawn too. It sounds like a lot of immigration, which could add needed diversity to the area, but how are they supporting themselves economically?
I'm not sure how much it even has to do with jobs, but obviously there must be some. I know Utica really welcomes immigrants, I know Refugee Magazine named Utica the #1 city for refugees and the NY Times has dubbed Utica the second chance city.

Old 04-27-2012, 12:25 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Maybe some you see here: Mohawk Valley Jobs

Careers at Utica National | Utica National Insurance Group

Goodrich jobs in Rome, NY - Indeed Mobile

APAC career opportunities

Jobs in New Hartford, NY - Indeed Mobile

Old 10-02-2012, 08:54 AM

14 posts, read 36,312 times
Outsourcing, left the blue collar workers behind after corporations left. The economies of many small towns across America fell apart. Now we have many low skilled people with no jobs, whom are additionally faced with a recession. Higher Crime and poverty were inevitable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York