Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 08:15 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,085,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Interesting.... So, how do they pay teachers and for schooling?

Also, how is overall cost of living in Upstate NY still on par and in many cases lower than that of VA given all of this? I'm assuming that housing is the reason why.

As for the OP, I noticed that places like Tupper Lake, Saranac Lake, Rouses Point and Plattsburgh has reduced utility costs due to getting power/energy from the New York Power Authority.
As I said the school district submits their budget for approval, that includes the operating costs, salaries etc. Once approved the district operates the schools iaw their budget. In NY they just raise the schools tax for the coming year. Remember also we are not being abused by a teachers union so our expenses are more predictable.

COL differences must be done region/region, you can't compare CNY to all of VA it's too diverse. Housing costs as you and I have chatted over are the main difference with our cost being more the national average and yours below. In our western counties such at Roanoke housing runs significantly less.

Be carefull of some of the sites you use for COL comparison they use a broad stoke when comparing areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 08:43 AM

93,292 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
As I said the school district submits their budget for approval, that includes the operating costs, salaries etc. Once approved the district operates the schools iaw their budget. In NY they just raise the schools tax for the coming year. Remember also we are not being abused by a teachers union so our expenses are more predictable.

COL differences must be done region/region, you can't compare CNY to all of VA it's too diverse. Housing costs as you and I have chatted over are the main difference with our cost being more the national average and yours below. In our western counties such at Roanoke housing runs significantly less.

Be carefull of some of the sites you use for COL comparison they use a broad stoke when comparing areas.
I've used other areas in Upstate NY to be fair. In our other posts, I try to use comparable communities as well(i.e.-Ithaca vs. Charlottesville, Oneonta vs. Harrisonburg, etc.).

Also, I try to keep that in mind with COL calculators. I try to use those that include taxes and fees as well.

For the OP, are you open to other parts of Upstate NY or just the Adirondacks in particular?

BTW- What would you say are Richmond's more upper middle class suburbs?

Old 05-01-2012, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
BTW- What would you say are Richmond's more upper middle class suburbs?
Western Henrico, normally referred to as the Short Pump or Glen Allen areas, Chesterfield County but I don't know the communites very well and the Atlee area of Hanover County. Richmonds (City of) has some very nice areas but overall the city schools have a lot of issues and most with kids choose the private school or suburbs relocation during these years.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:45 AM

368 posts, read 831,042 times
To the op-my only advice would be to visit in the summer and the dead of winter. Also don't worry about being accepted-Northern New Yorkers would give you the shirts off of their backs if you needed it.

Old 05-03-2012, 12:46 AM

23 posts, read 66,852 times
Default Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by TughillTina View Post
Also don't worry about being accepted-Northern New Yorkers would give you the shirts off of their backs if you needed it.
That is my sense as well based on the bit of time I have spent there.

I have already spent time during the winter there and I love it. I will schedule some time this summer as well. Someone else said that spring was a particularly difficult time since winter sports are finished and the high summer season hasn't started. Well I am going up next week so I will get a taste of that.

Old 05-03-2012, 05:55 AM

Try to visit for a long period. I used to live in VIrginia Beach and everone thought oh, whow, neat! The experience of a week or 2 vacation versus living somewhere is quite different. Make sure to locate and visit the supermarkets and other stores you would need on a regular basis so you are familiar with them. If you select an area that has a "tourist" season try to find out what the traffic/impact will be like..

Old 05-07-2012, 08:32 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,819,667 times
Default Is internet important to the OP?

Quote:
Try to visit for a long period. I used to live in VIrginia Beach and everone thought oh, whow, neat! The experience of a week or 2 vacation versus living somewhere is quite different. Make sure to locate and visit the supermarkets and other stores you would need on a regular basis so you are familiar with them. If you select an area that has a "tourist" season try to find out what the traffic/impact will be like..
I didn't see any mention of costs or availability of internet for the OP if they move to the Adirondacks. A lot of us take internet availability for granted these days and it's become almost a necessity with online banking, etc. for many people. Anyway, I'd be interested in knowing the availability in the Adirondack area of NY State.

Old 05-07-2012, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
I didn't see any mention of costs or availability of internet for the OP if they move to the Adirondacks. A lot of us take internet availability for granted these days and it's become almost a necessity with online banking, etc. for many people. Anyway, I'd be interested in knowing the availability in the Adirondack area of NY State.
Most likely Time Warner's Road Runner is available. You have this too: Westelcom Internet... Get Connected

Old 05-08-2012, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
Thats a really good point! I would personally go crazy if I had to watch the hog & farm report or some other local show because cable was not available...

Old 05-08-2012, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Thats a really good point! I would personally go crazy if I had to watch the hog & farm report or some other local show because cable was not available...
Cable is available in the Adirondacks. They have Time Warner up there. So, no need to worry about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York