U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Labor Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-30-2012, 07:11 PM

303 posts, read 136,046 times
Default Paul Smiths, NY

Hi all,

I was just looking for information regarding the city of Paul Smith's NY. I'm looking into transferring from a local Community college in NJ to Paul Smith's College for Wildlife Science. I have not been able to find much information on the actual city of Paul Smith's though.

My question is -

How safe is the area?
Is there a lot to do? (hiking, snow-shoeing, etc)
How much would I be looking at in rent? (on campus housing is quite alot)

From what I've looked up, the real-estate doesn't look to high there. I'd also like to be able to get a job there while going to school. I fell in love with the school just from looking at pictures. I used to go Upstate alot as a kid and always enjoyed it. I grew up in NY on Staten Island and later in NJ and it has really made me into a nature lover.

Thanks for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 08:03 PM

412 posts, read 334,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGG1659 View Post
Hi all,

I was just looking for information regarding the city of Paul Smith's NY. I'm looking into transferring from a local Community college in NJ to Paul Smith's College for Wildlife Science. I have not been able to find much information on the actual city of Paul Smith's though.
I'm pretty sure the college is the city. The closest things to cities in the area are Saranac Lake and Lake Placid.

My question is -

How safe is the area?

I would say very safe as long as you have a lot of warm clothes. Saranac Lake usually has the coldest temperature in the state during the winter.

Is there a lot to do? (hiking, snow-shoeing, etc)

Yes, that and skiing, canoeing and kayaking.

How much would I be looking at in rent?

I can't help you on that one.

I am not sure what the job market is like, you may be able to find a job in Lake Placid.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:09 PM

29,037 posts, read 33,003,808 times
It's pretty much the college and that's it. Saranac Lake is the closest community with anything and Lake Placid isn't too far away. I had a classmate from HS go there and he seemed to have liked it. Here's some information: Paul Smiths, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Saranac Lake, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Welcome to Saranac Lake, New York!

Shop The Tri-Lakes

plattsburgh-adirondacks apts/housing for rent classifieds - craigslist

AdirondackDailyEnterprise.com | News, Sports, Jobs, Saranac Lake region

Village of Saranac Lake, New York*

AM 920 & 1240 WNBZ - The Morning News Simulcast - Saranac Lake, Lake Placid, Tupper Lake, the Adirondacks

Old 05-01-2012, 01:14 PM

1 posts, read 1,052 times
Default Paul Smiths, NY

Hello,

My name is Nathan and I am the Transfer Admissions Counselor at Paul Smith's College. The town of Paul Smiths NY consists of the campus and houses in the local area. The closest town to Paul Smiths is Saranac Lake NY and there are many restaurants and convenience stores there.

The area is very safe. With only around 1000 students, we are more like a family were everyone looks out for one another.

There are a lot of things to do if you like the outdoors. We have our own Livery of canoes for the students to use if you do not want to bring one up from NJ. Just north of campus is the VIC which has around 14 miles of hiking trails and many community involvement events adirondackvic.org. There are many mountains, trails, lakes, rivers, and climbing opportunities to take advantage of right out your front door. We have an international Snowshoe team, Nordic Ski team, and a very involved ski and snowboard club. Just over a half hour away, many students, staff and faculty visit Whiteface Mountain every winter.

Rent for the local are varies depending on the type of amenities you are looking to have. Typically ranging anywhere from $600 a month upwards of $1000 depending on the area and the size. We do have a list of local renters for transferring students to take advantage of and find local housing.

Depending on the job you are looking to obtain, there are always job opportunities in the food industry in Saranac Lake and Lake Placid. We do have a Career Service Office on campus that also would help with job listings and workshops.

I am glad to hear you are interested in PSC and that you are pursuing your love of the outdoors! Please feel free to contact the Admissions Office if you have any questions about the local area or any of the programs! 1-800-421-2605
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York