Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 01:01 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,623,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
I think you live in an area, Oneida, that probably has the meth problem magnified. The back of my silverware says "Oneida" and the box said Made in China. Something is filling that void left behind. The bottom of my Corningware says Made in Indonesia.
Oneida silverware has been in China for years now. Syracuse China moved out of Syracuse and North America as well. Very little is made in the USA nowadays unfortunately. It's pretty sad.

Old 06-05-2012, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
I just figgered I'd try and help you out. SC isn't anyplace I want to live personally, I just know some damm fine people. Your the one who lives there I can't understand why you can't find some peace or leave??

Nicest person I ever met was from SC but he passed a couple years ago. He would have helped you find peace in a beautiful state. Best advice I could offer would be avoid most touristy places and ALL transplants.
Damn fine people? Yup, you've never lived here! Let's see...a few weeks ago while grocery shopping, I asked my husband if he wanted any cereal. I wasn't speaking loudly or to anyone else. What happens? Some snarky Southern speaks up and tells me to get to I-95 and go bak where I came from. Yes, people REALLY do say these things here. I NEVER heard anyone from NY EVER tell anyone to go back where they came from. While I attended a college here for a semester, I was told on a weekly basis to use I-95 to go home. I wasn't welcome here. Yankees don't belong here. This included Yankees with a 4.0 GPA who knew what they were doing.

Just yesterday I got a lovely 4 minute voicemail from the president of the quilting guild I belong to. THere was a board meeting that I didn't know about and missed it. Why was the voicemail so long? She forgot to hang up and started trash talking me to the entire board.

Whoever said I was staying? I am planning on moving back to Upstate NY this autumn! I'm about ready to let the bank take this house. I can't stand it here.

The crime in this areas is going through the roof.....let's see our news from over the weekend.....

Oh we have meth lab #12 for the year. Yay for Aiken County! Something to be so proud of.

Three charged with making meth | Aiken Standard

We had a drunken idiot shoot someone and shove and choke that persons wife. Best part is no one was arrested or ticketed or anything!

Aiken husband shoots man attacking his wife | The Augusta Chronicle

Out of the last 26 years, SC has been in the top 10 for number of women killed by their domestic partner. More of that Southern pride! Oh and Aiken County has been #1 in the state several times.

For past 26 years, S.C. ranked in top 10 for number of women killed by domestic partner | Aiken Standard

Don't think because you met one guy from SC that the state is full of nice people and is beautiful. I can find you at least 10 schmucks for every nice person I've met here. Funny thing is most of the nice people aren't from the South. My best friend is from New Hampshire. Most of my friends are from the Northeast and all of them want to leave here. There's only one husband who isn't jumping for joy to leave. He likes the cheap taxes and less gun control. He doesn't like all the meth labs though. Guess what cheap taxes (fewer cops) gets you? Lots of problems! We even have neighbors from St Louis who are moving back home this month. They couldn't stand it here. They were here for 2 1/2 years.

Your advice is to avoid ALL transplants? Hello! I am a transplant! Many of them stick together because Southerners don't welcome you into the area or neighborhood. Many say very nasty things without even getting to know you. You could be a mass murderer, but if you are Southern, it's ok and you're just a dandy person. If you're a Yankee, then you should burn in hell or something like that. I can't believe the things people here say to complete strangers!

This isn't Mayberry!

Old 06-05-2012, 02:21 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,271,079 times
So you have convinced yourself that you hate it and surrounded yourself with people who hate it. Ya I guess I don't see it getting any better for you.

I know what its like. I've been robbed so many times I look at all strangers in NY as drug addicts and thieves. Its no way to live.

Outside of NY I consider strangers to be just people. Or as Phleaon56 says, a friend I haven't met yet. But in NY I can't trust anyone. Just been robbed to many times.

Old 06-05-2012, 02:24 PM

Quote:
So you have convinced yourself that you hate it and surrounded yourself with people who hate it. Ya I guess I don't see it getting any better for you.

I know what its like. I've been robbed so many times I look at all strangers in NY as drug addicts and thieves. Its no way to live.

Outside of NY I consider strangers to be just people. Or as Phleaon56 says, a friend I haven't met yet. But in NY I can't trust anyone. Just been robbed to many times.
I didn't start hating the area. I was very happy to move here. All the crime and rude people weigh on you quickly. I didn't surround myself with people who hate this place. They're my neighbors. They live in the houses around mine. I also know people who live outside of my development who don't like it here. When I met all these people, I didn't know they didn't like it here. I've got neighbors from other southern states who don't like it here! And they blend in to the locals.

Old 06-05-2012, 02:32 PM

I don't know anyone who likes NY but I'd say its about 50/50 people who hate it but stay for work/family reasons and the rest just kinda get along to get along. The ones who have made peace with NY tend to drink alot.

I'm about 90% positive I could live anywhere that folks was just folks. I don't even have a problem with drugs. Its the stealing NYers do non-stop thats given me a belly full of this state.

Old 06-06-2012, 01:35 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,824,550 times
Quote:
I don't know anyone who likes NY but I'd say its about 50/50 people who hate it but stay for work/family reasons and the rest just kinda get along to get along. The ones who have made peace with NY tend to drink alot.

I'm about 90% positive I could live anywhere that folks was just folks. I don't even have a problem with drugs. Its the stealing NYers do non-stop thats given me a belly full of this state.
Do you mean stealing, as in people lifting things from your backyard, or stealing in the sense of lazy people living off the government? Also, so 1/2 the people you know hate NY and can't wait to leave, and the other 1/2 are just miserable but stay? How come so many people on the 'cuse board seem to like it there? C'mon, my friend, you must be exaggerating just a bit

Old 06-06-2012, 02:03 PM

Well welfare is stealing of coarse but that not what I meant. I mean actually stealing.

Other states (by no means all) have people that love them, Texas and WVa spring to mind. NYC could also fit this bill. But I've never heard any one love NY STATE.

And I didn't say the other half were miserable, just sedated. They tend to just work and drink, maybe complain about taxes. The other half, the half of coarse I'm closest to, tend to be people that travel alot and know alot of areas and we talk about travel and such.

And yes I am aware I do the same thing I said you do, surround myself with people who hate the area. The difference would be all these people are NYers hating NY. We know our area. Surrounding myself with transplants strikes me as bizarre.

Old 06-06-2012, 02:27 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,824,550 times
Quote:
Well welfare is stealing of coarse but that not what I meant. I mean actually stealing.

Other states (by no means all) have people that love them, Texas and WVa spring to mind. NYC could also fit this bill. But I've never heard any one love NY STATE.

And I didn't say the other half were miserable, just sedated. They tend to just work and drink, maybe complain about taxes. The other half, the half of coarse I'm closest to, tend to be people that travel alot and know alot of areas and we talk about travel and such.

And yes I am aware I do the same thing I said you do, surround myself with people who hate the area. The difference would be all these people are NYers hating NY. We know our area. Surrounding myself with transplants strikes me as bizarre.
Regarding the last part, I think you meant someone else.

Regarding the bolded part, I agree totally. NJ is 50/50, as is NY City. You either love the NJ or NYC lifestyle or you hate it. There's no real in-between. Philly people tend to love Philly and are fanatical about. NC and VA- wow. I once asked a western VA resident if he ever had plans to move out of state. He looked at me like I had 3 heads. In fact, he said, "you mean like move to Northern VA...never". Most native Southerners LOVE the South and will never leave, and especially never move north.

Old 06-06-2012, 03:10 PM

You are right, I get cornfused. I meant SSD2 or whatever. Sorry.

Nobody has any passion for NY, Upstate I mean. Many people hate it. Many people just don't care.

Alot of it is pretty much everyone here is from here. I have never once in my whole life one single time ever met a person born in America that lived in NY and wasn't born here.

Many of the NE states are full of pride for home. Vermont is almost militant.

Old 06-06-2012, 08:09 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
You must not know many Black people in Upstate NY, as many came within the last 50 years or less. This goes for many Upstaters of other backgrounds as well. Maybe what you said applies to the places you have lived in.

As for Upstate NY, I think it depends on who you talk to in regards to the love/hate thing. We've also have seen on this forum that many that have left wouldn't mind coming back.

Also, I've actually met some Southerners on this forum and in personal interactions that wouldn't mind living outside of the South. So, even that depends on the individual Southerner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York