Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 05:43 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,817,731 times

Advertisements

A few cities in upstate New York are on my short/medium list for retirement. Does New York have a personal property tax (or fees) for cars? If so, what is the rate, and how is the value of the car determined? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2012, 05:52 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,269,040 times
I think other states call it different things but here every time a car is bought or brought from another state its taxed. It will vary by county but for easy math figger 10%.

When you think how many times a car is sold over its life its quite a racket.

If you keep your cars til the wheels fall off its not to bad but if you like bright and shiny NY will eat you up. Most people roll the tax into the payment so its a "silent tax".

Old 06-01-2012, 05:53 PM

570 posts, read 1,339,640 times
In NY you pay a registration fee (in lieu of the personal property tax some other states have) every two years which is based on weight. This is the link to the Dept of Motor Vehicles site with the costs.

NYS DMV - Vehicle Registration - Registration Fees, Vehicle Use Taxes and Supplemental Fees Passenger Vehicles

In addition, you pay a fee for the license plates (one time fee), your title (one time fee) and sales tax (one time fee).

EDIT: I did forget to mention that you should check out the link on the DMV page for counties. Sounds like some counties may have additional fees.

Old 06-01-2012, 11:45 PM

93,192 posts, read 123,783,345 times
It isn't like other states where the personal property tax seems to be higher than the fees here. I know that tax can be upwards of a few hundred a year, but I believe it varies in terms of state and age of the car.

Old 06-02-2012, 05:17 AM

570 posts, read 1,339,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
It isn't like other states where the personal property tax seems to be higher than the fees here. I know that tax can be upwards of a few hundred a year, but I believe it varies in terms of state and age of the car.
My county, and the surrounding counties, don't have a personal property tax for cars. I forget that there are some counties in NY that do

I do have to say I am surprised and pleased that there is a tax that could be charged, which NY as a whole is not charging

Old 06-04-2012, 06:06 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,817,731 times
Thanks for the info!

Old 06-05-2012, 12:23 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,610,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
A few cities in upstate New York are on my short/medium list for retirement. Does New York have a personal property tax (or fees) for cars? If so, what is the rate, and how is the value of the car determined? Thanks!
Unlike most of the South and many areas of the country, NY does not have a personal property tax for vehicles. Other states do and it's on all vehicles -trailers, campers, motorcycles, boats, jet skis, snowmobiles, atvs, etc.

NY does have registration fees. They vary based on the class of the vehicle, the weight of the vehicle, age of the vehicle, type of fuel consumed, etc. The state doesn't use the value of the vehicle for registration fees.

Fees also vary based on your license plate. If you get a regular blue and yellow plate, you won't have additional fees. If you get it personalized, there's an additional fee. If you get a specialty license plate, there's additional fees also. All of those fees are part of the registration and paid at the time of registration.

Depending on the county, there could be additional fees. NYC also has additional fees. And you better have deep pockets for parking in NYC.

You also have to get your vehicle inspected. If it's a 1996 or newer, it must pass an emissions test as well. You have 10 days to do this after you register your vehicle. The DMV will give you a 10 day temporary tag for your window shield.

To give you an idea.....

Last vehicle I registered was just under 2 years ago.....the registration is good for 2 years.......and it was $225 and some change. It's on my 2005 Chevy Monte Carlo SS Tony Stewart Signature Series. It's classified as a 2 door sports car and weighs over 3,000 pounds. I have a NASCAR personalized license plate as well. Over $60 was my fee for the NASCAR plate with personalization.

You may want to visit the DMV once you move and get a list of all of the documents you will need to register your vehicle and get your license changed over. Make sure you get the DTF-803 and DTF-804 so you are waived from paying sales tax.

New York State Department of Motor Vehicles - NYS DMV - NYSDMV - Driver - Vehicle

NYS DMV - Vehicle Registration - Registration Fees, Vehicle Use Taxes and Supplemental Fees Passenger Vehicles

NYS DMV - Commercial Vehicles - Registration Fees, Vehicle Use Taxes and Supplemental Fees

NYS DMV - Vehicle Registration and Certificate of Title

What areas are you looking into?

Last edited by ss20ts; 06-05-2012 at 12:56 PM..

Old 09-28-2012, 10:30 AM

23 posts, read 89,648 times
Per the instructions on DTF-804, you only avoid paying tax in NY when you bring the car into the state if it was purchased in:

Arizona, California, Florida, Hawaii, MA, Michigan, South Carolina, Wyoming, Maryland, and Indiana

All the rest (including TX -- boo), you pay the tax to NY, and then can try to get a refund from the original state the car was purchased in.

Old 09-28-2012, 01:48 PM

93,192 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisInAustin View Post
Per the instructions on DTF-804, you only avoid paying tax in NY when you bring the car into the state if it was purchased in:

Arizona, California, Florida, Hawaii, MA, Michigan, South Carolina, Wyoming, Maryland, and Indiana

All the rest (including TX -- boo), you pay the tax to NY, and then can try to get a refund from the original state the car was purchased in.
I believe that this on the initial purchase, but NY doesn't have a yearly property tax on vehicles like some states have.

Old 10-01-2012, 01:17 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,514,252 times
Dont give them any new ideas, NY state is so looking for more taxes!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York