U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-20-2006, 02:08 PM

599 posts, read 1,158,244 times

Advertisements

Im looking for any information on counties upstate NY that have somewhat low taxes..if anyone could point me in some sort of direction that'd be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2006, 07:01 PM

306 posts, read 1,186,775 times
As far as I know, Allegany and Steuben counties, in western New York, southeast of Buffalo, along the Penn. border, have fairly low county taxes. But if you live in a village there, that village may add on a pretty weighty extra tax. Many people find living in a village well worth the taxes, so this depends, of course, of what you believe is worth paying for and what seems a fair tax burden to you. Also, Allegany and Steuben counties are pretty rural, and a bit more "Appalachian" feeling than other upstate counties. I like them a lot, especially their quaint old towns and beautiful farmland, and I don't like Appalachia, where I live now (until we can engineer our escape back to upstate NY!). That's 'cause even the most rural New York State county feels civilized and civil to me--and unless you're in a big city slum area, NY state schools are just plain better than schools almost anywhere else in the country (as our university's admissions officers have often told me). NY state's "Appalachia" areas are the best of Appalachia, I think. But someone from an urban or typical suburban area might find these counties too country. So it all depends on what you prefer. You'd also be fairly close to Buffalo there; even with its jobs problems, Buff. has great restaurants and big-time sports teams. And Canada is just across the river from Buffalo, with Toronto 2 & 1/2 hours beyond Buffalo. You're close to the Great Lakes in these counties--and they and the Finger Lakes (and the Thousand Islands Region, and the Adirondacks) are the best places I've ever seen to spend a summer. Winters are (beautifully) snowy, but they do clear the roads well, and there are a lot of hiking trails and state forests/parks to work up a good appetite for that simmering pot of stew. Good luck!

Old 09-20-2006, 10:19 PM

1,317 posts, read 3,435,754 times
NY is pretty high taxes all round. Some rural areas (Sullivan County for example) have someof the highest rates in the East.

The best you can hope for is to find an area where the housing is cheap so the percentage of tax is on a lower market value. Syracuse area is a good example of that. All of S. New York is high taxes.

Old 09-21-2006, 02:12 PM

5,265 posts, read 10,527,113 times
I believe the lowest taxes you will find in a large county is Erie County, where Buffalo is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York