Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 09:30 AM

38 posts, read 168,417 times

Advertisements

We've been living in NE Florida for 3 1/2 years. There are thing we like and things we don't. It's great to wear flip flops 12 months a year. It's great to visit the Keys and go to the beach once in a while. It's hard for us to live with the rebel flag and prayer in public school. We're considering moving back to WNY or Finger Lakes region, but we're not sure.

We're teachers and we have two school-aged kids, if that bit of info helps at all.

Has anyone else out there left WNY and moved back? Are you happy? Do you regret it? What should we make sure we consider in making our decision?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2007, 09:51 AM

491 posts, read 1,433,848 times
I am originally from Chautauqua County, moved to Pittsburgh and will be moving back asap. I can't wait to get back. How long have you been gone?

Old 09-23-2007, 10:02 AM

We're from Chautauqua County too. We lived in a suburb north of Buffalo after that. We left WNY in 2003. Why do you want to move back?

Old 09-23-2007, 10:11 AM

491 posts, read 1,433,848 times
Well, we moved mainly for employment reasons. I always like the western new york area, but I was driving 90 minutes to work in Buffalo every day. My choices were to move to Buffalo or look elsewhere for work and move away. I found a good job in Pittsburgh and so did my girlfriend. We visited a few times but had a limited amount of time to decide and find somewhere to live. We decided to make the jump with the assumption if we didn't like it we could always return. Honestly Pittsburgh is *ok* but it isn't anything spectacular, and for me the negatives outweigh the positives. While I worked in cities before, I never lived in one until now and I really don't like the experience. It is also pretty dirty here, especially the air. When we have gone back to the area to visit we miss pretty much everything about it. I like the recreation opportunities that exist in the area. It is pretty cheap to live there. I find it very pretty and love the country aspect. It is also relatively close to quite a few urban areas as you know. (for others, Buffalo, Rochester, Pittsburgh, Cleveland and Toronto are all 3 hours or less)

I love being close to the lake and I love the rolling hills. Until moving to Pittsburgh I lived most of my life in Chautauqua and didn't really take advantage of everything that it provided.

The only negative I can think of when thinking of whether or not to move back is the job base. It can be tough to find jobs in the area, but it isn't impossible. Also, there are many underserved service areas and if someone has the will and way to start a business they would definitely have a customer base. Also, many of the areas that were sore spots in the county, such as Dunkirk, have really been trying to turn things around. I really see a bright future in WNY and can't wait to get back and do my part.

Old 09-23-2007, 11:40 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,590,017 times
Moved from Rochester in December 1994 to Raleigh NC....just moved back to Rochester last month, and couldn't be happier about it! WNY is a great place to come home too...it's like they say, you don't know what you've got 'till its gone.

Old 09-23-2007, 03:44 PM

944 posts, read 3,847,814 times
Competition for teaching jobs is intense. What are your certification areas? Other than employment issues, I would move back in a second.

Old 09-23-2007, 04:19 PM

148 posts, read 648,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxymoron View Post
We've been living in NE Florida for 3 1/2 years. There are thing we like and things we don't. It's great to wear flip flops 12 months a year. It's great to visit the Keys and go to the beach once in a while. It's hard for us to live with the rebel flag and prayer in public school. We're considering moving back to WNY or Finger Lakes region, but we're not sure.

We're teachers and we have two school-aged kids, if that bit of info helps at all.

Has anyone else out there left WNY and moved back? Are you happy? Do you regret it? What should we make sure we consider in making our decision?

Thanks!
Please don't come back. As teachers that means you will get a tax free pension that I will have to pay for once you retire and move BACK to Florida as most NY teachers do. The taxes here are so out of control and most of it is due to mandated increases caused by out of control school taxes. We need people willing to work in the Private Sector. Not more government pension seekers. Please think of us. We're maxed out. $90,000 house, 1300 sq. ft @ $4200 property/school taxes. Thanks

Old 09-23-2007, 05:43 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,904,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxymoron View Post

Thanks!

http://www.buffnet.net/~wren/\\you can get a great price in Hickory Woods!

Welcome to WNY!

Old 09-23-2007, 05:49 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,904,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed View Post
Moved from Rochester in December 1994 to Raleigh NC....just moved back to Rochester last month, and couldn't be happier about it! WNY is a great place to come home too...it's like they say, you don't know what you've got 'till its gone.
you must be a renter...how can you reconcile the property taxes? the bad economy? It's not even as pretty there as the finger lakes..if you're going to live in NYS might as well be a beautiful area...Rochester is not beautiful - I lived there - much better places that Kodak and Xerox didn't ruin the environment with...check the contamination in your area...rochester is a mess like Buffalo...rust belters that industry basically used and abused for a period of years....but Wegmans is great..I do miss it.

Old 09-23-2007, 07:35 PM

Western New York is notorious for outrageous property taxes, but the price of property is much lower than most places in the U.S. I wonder if it evens out.

As for Rochester vs. Finger Lakes...I love the Finger Lakes region. We visited this summer and thought it was absolutely beautiful, but if we can't get jobs there, we can't live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York