Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2010, 11:17 PM

707 posts, read 1,466,242 times

Advertisements

Umm you can drive out of state. I did it at age 17 as i was going away for college. It depends on what states you are driving to. As i was driving to florida and the driving age is 15 for permit and 16.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2010, 07:09 AM

1 posts, read 4,799 times
Are there more restrictions in counties closer to NYC (such as Rockland, Westchester, etc.) than farther upstate? For that matter, is Long Island counted as part of the NYC restrictions?

Old 10-01-2010, 11:51 AM

939 posts, read 1,844,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idratherbedriving View Post
Are there more restrictions in counties closer to NYC (such as Rockland, Westchester, etc.) than farther upstate? For that matter, is Long Island counted as part of the NYC restrictions?
Nassau, Suffolk and NYC severely limit the use of junior licenses (almost no circumstances under which you can drive in those areas with one.) A full license can be granted to a 17 year old if he/she has had driver's ed. Otherwise, it's 18 years of age for a full license.

Can't help you with Westchester, but you could visit the NYS DMV website. They have full explanations of the rules and where they apply.

Old 10-28-2010, 06:01 PM

1 posts, read 4,716 times
I live in Western New York. I am 17. I have my license. If I am turning 18 in 15 days, can I drive after 9pm?

Old 03-03-2012, 04:07 PM

1 posts, read 4,306 times
Can a 16 year old drive with a parent in new york city drive when they pass their road test and have a legal issued license. Must they wait till seventeen or can they drive with a parent and without a dual brake because they passed the road test?

Old 03-04-2012, 08:25 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,078,565 times
Reginal driving restrictions can be located at NYS DMV - Younger Driver - Regional Map .

The basics are as follows:

Rockland/Westchester permit/license at 16 with restrictions, full license at 18, 17 if drivers ed is completed.

Nassau/Suffolk used to be permit/license at 17 with restrictions

NYC is 18 for everything

Drivers under 18 may drive in other states provided they are in compliance with that states laws. None NY drivers may drive in NY provided they are in compliance with NY's laws. In other words a 15 yo driving on a permit/license could not drive in NY.

I looked at the states web site, what a convuluted mess compared to ours https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/webdoc/...ligibility.asp.

If you are unsure or need additional information just call/e-mail the DMV. I can't think of any teen that isn't glued to a cell phone 24/7

Old 10-04-2012, 06:17 AM

1 posts, read 4,102 times
can my 20 yr old take my 16 yr out driving in ny state?

Old 10-07-2012, 04:01 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,368,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jac80mac View Post
can my 20 yr old take my 16 yr out driving in ny state?
I could be wrong and it could have changed... but I think they need to be with a licensed driver over 21. So in that case, no your 16 year old couldn't go out driving with your 20 old... but I could be wrong.

Anyone know?

Old 10-07-2012, 06:01 PM

919 posts, read 1,689,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I could be wrong and it could have changed... but I think they need to be with a licensed driver over 21. So in that case, no your 16 year old couldn't go out driving with your 20 old... but I could be wrong.

Anyone know?

The person needs to be over the age 18 if you are outside of NYC (including LI) limits. If you are upstate NY, or out of westchester, and suffolk you are allowed to drive with ANYONE over the age of 18 with a valid license (In the above mentioned counties, the person must be a parent/ guardian with a valid license)

Where I live (Hudson Valley, 60 mi north of NYC)

Permit at 16

After completing 50 hours of supervised driving (15 being at night), taking your 5 hour course (and receiving a certificate) and holding your permit for 6 months you may go take your road test.

Once you have your junior license you will have it until your 18th birthday or when you turn 17 with a completed drivers ed course. Otherwise your junior license automatically switches to a full license at 18

Restrictions for a junior license:

-Only 1 other person-without a full, nonrestrictive license- (not including an immediate family member under 18) may be in the car with you

-You can only drive between the hours of 6 am and 9 pm unless you are going to or returning from work or school, or a school function.

- You may drive in other states as long as their permit laws fit NY's... i.e you can't drive in a state that doesn't issue permits until 17

Yeah, I just had to go through this whole process it's still pretty fresh

Old 10-09-2012, 06:48 AM

3,515 posts, read 5,697,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingMom View Post
A 17 year old can not drive out of state. You don't get your full license until you are 18. The driver's license as of Monday for teens has new laws. From our paper today-

Teenage drivers with a learner's permit, which can be obtained at age 16, will have to wait six months before they can schedule a road test for a license. The law also increases from 20 hours to 50 hours — including 15 hours at night — the amount of driving that a parent or guardian needs to verify before a teenage driver can get a license.

Lastly, drivers with a junior license or permit will be limited to one non-family passenger under the age of 21 in the vehicle unless they are accompanied by an adult.

But from what the DMV site says-your junior license automatically becomes a senior license on your 18th birthday,.

No, depends on the state. You can have a FULL NY license at 17 with driver's ed and the "blue card"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York