U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 06:58 PM
VTP

200 posts, read 606,068 times

Advertisements

In the Southern Adirondacks, you can try very nice little towns like Brant Lake or Chestertown, which are right off of the Northway and pretty much an even 5 hours from Miller Place. I wouldn't say that strike me as artsy or anything, but they are nice, and they feed into the North Warren School District (Chestertown does for sure, not so sure about Brant Lake), which is one of the better ones up there. And they are just a few exits south of the High Peaks, so you have the sensation of being high up, for sure. Chestertown is 15 minutes from Gore Mountain and has a nice lake, Loon Lake, and is just south of Schroon Lake, another nice lake. You should know, however, that in that price range you are looking at local neighborhoods and not the fancier second home associations, which can get quite high in price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2007, 12:07 PM

543 posts, read 1,119,992 times
Default commuting from Woodstock

Do you know if people commute from Woodstock to Manhattan for work? Is it possible?

Old 10-01-2007, 12:34 PM
VTP

200 posts, read 606,068 times
I suppose there are some (you do hear about people commuting to NYC from really far-away places like Montauk or Newburgh), but I don't know how they do it. I would say it's definitely not possible if you are required to maintain a presence in your office for five days per week. Perhaps it's something you can consider (albeit with difficulty) if you telecommute on three days or so.

Old 10-01-2007, 12:47 PM

Location: North of the Cow Pasture and South of the Wind Turbines
845 posts, read 2,010,762 times
On a good day with no traffic it would take about 2 hours and 15 minutes. Commuting during peak rush hour would be somewhere around three hours, and that's to the tip of Manhattan - So mid-town maybe another 20-30 minutes and downtown could be 45 plus. I think losing 6 plus hours a day would be pretty tough to say the least..

Old 10-01-2007, 01:02 PM

136 posts, read 525,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doghead View Post
Do you know if people commute from Woodstock to Manhattan for work? Is it possible?
I suppose some might drive over to Rhinecliff or Poughkeepsie (or even Wassaic?), and then take the train in to NYC? I have no idea how long the rail commute takes, though.

Old 04-08-2008, 09:21 AM

1 posts, read 5,760 times
Default Have you decided yet?

So where has your Catskills search lead you thus far? Woodstock?

Old 04-09-2008, 08:26 AM

585 posts, read 1,454,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblupink View Post
Anyone recommend any great towns in the mountains upstate, catskills or southern pt. of the adirondacks. (Looking to be 5 hrs to Miller Place LI, my ex has agreed to let us go that far) We prefer artsy or hippie types over materialistic types, do not need to be near many jobs but would like a safe area with a decent school w nice kids, and we would really love most to be high up in the mountains. Thanks.
We just moved up here from Fort Collins, CO. I don't know of any really hippie areas though in the Saratoga Springs area. Ballston Spa has a small art community and it's downtown is getting a little more variety (a wine bistro is opening this weekend). Might wanna check out Greenwich, that's a beautiful area and the downtown looked nice. Schuylerville is decent with a small art scene. Glens Falls is coming around, is close to the Adirondacks, and has a growing art scene. Housing is affordable too.

Old 05-10-2008, 09:34 PM

4 posts, read 13,198 times
Have you considered Binghamton? Although SOME of the locals don't realize how good they have it, it really does have ALOT to offer. As far as getting to LI, i can make to Flushing Queens from Binghamton in exactly 3hours. So to get to Suffolk, as long as it's not on a Friday at rush hour in the summer (Hamptons traffic), you'll be okay. Check Binghamton if you can. I personally love it here. Good Luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York