Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2007, 10:36 PM

59 posts, read 226,213 times

Advertisements

Anyone know what these towns, schools, people, scenery are like? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2007, 08:34 AM

525 posts, read 2,350,896 times
Well, I am just over the mountain from South Kortright, and not far as the crow flies from Stamford.

The two are very different-SK is one of those small towns where you blink and miss it. There really is no town-Post Office, Fire house, The Hidden Inn (good place) a High School, church, and one other facility. They also have Belle Terre- a rahab facility that occupies a drop dead gorgeous old horse estate. The homes in the area are very nice, modest, neat and clean (of course up here you always have a few porch displayers (front porches piled with stuff) Lots are modest to large, spread out nicely. Closest bank, gas, convenience store is Hobart-about ten minutes towards Stamfod.

Stamford is a large town compared to SK. Supermarkets (overpriced and not so great) liquor stores, Drug Stores, gas, restaurants. ect. The Main street is being revitalized, though still twinges of a town that was "once was" fantastic old buildings, a little run down but being bought and fixed, newer buildings, etc. The homes NE of town on Rt 10 are fanfrikintastic. Beautiful old homes, different styles from Victorian to Greek Revival, sprawling lawns, and nice little quiet neighborhoods.

It is all beautiful up here, anywhere you turn. The people, while humans with some bad human natures like anywhere, are laid back, friendly and hard working.

I do not know anything about shcools.

Please look on this forum about the wind turbines in Stamford-they will run along Rt 23 on the top of the beautiful ridge you can not miss. I imagine any home in the viewshed is selling for a song because of them-so you might find great value, but live in the shadows and the noise of the 410 ft. beasts.

Best thing, come on up, spend a weekend (the leaves are alive and glowing in fall glory right now) and drive drive drive. Stop and talk, go into the stores, etc.

Old 09-26-2007, 09:15 AM

59 posts, read 226,213 times
Thanks so much. We will be coming up the weekend after next, can't wait to see everything

Old 04-10-2010, 04:25 PM

5 posts, read 9,897 times
not trying to be mean but the schools are far from great, its a small town with little to no money, i was told 7 yrs ago how great it was now im stuck here, hard to find jobs and alls it does is snow or rain and lets not forget all the drugs.

Old 03-27-2012, 08:27 AM

22 posts, read 49,662 times
I am planning on moving to Harpersfield this summer and putting my 6 year old daughter in Stamford Central School. I am dying to leave New York City and all the vulgarity, filth and poverty here. In what way are there drugs? What's wrong with the school?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
View detailed profiles of: