Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 06:52 AM

92,428 posts, read 122,695,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
Thats the editorial aspect of it, his time is limited, he gave a rough time frame and asked what people thought he should see.

So I think like Finger Lakes, cute but mostly famous for wine and taking a day to catch a buzz going from sample to sample. OP is traveling fast with teenagers. Not a good fit IMO.

OP likes sports. Some minor league team in Podunk NY or Cooperstown?? Time only allows one. I picked Cooperstown. Or he could skip Upstate all together and see the Yankees. Frankly I was appalled somebody asked about Upstate NY with four teenage boys that like sports and Cooperstown hadn't come up. But ya all used your own editorial licence to omit that. If it was four teenage girl fashionistas hell bent on shopping there way across the state I prolly woulda left that area out.

Letchworth State Park?? I love that park and was well aware he was going by it. Its nice, been actually trying to find time to get there myself again. But the area around Cooperstown or Old Forge is IMO much prettier.

Outlet Malls?? Those things are 6 for a buck all over the USA. He's on his way to NYC, why bother?? Within a couple hours he will have the choice between the actual Gucci store or a knock off on Canal Street.

On the history stuff I'm fascinated but not everybody is. NY was a slave state but due to the harsh climate and short growing season NY (all of the snowbelt) couldn't make slavery work for economic reasons. Smaller owner/operator farms made more sense then large plantations. Not to many years later NY became a hot bed of fire and brimstone abolition. Its interesting to go from place to place and see the transition, somewhat hypocritical, take place. But many people either care about only one side or don't care at all. So all I can do is point it out and move on.
This is what I mean about getting off the topic again, but I'll bite. NY had slavery until 1827, but most of it was Downstate and in the river valleys(Hudson and Mohawk). There were some that were brought to other parts of NY from the South. On the other hand, there were many people that were anti slavery and always were in NY. Hence, the movement by Adams native Charles Finney and others even before the Great Awakening. A great on this topic would be North Star Country by Milton Sernett. Interestingly, the Harriet Tubman Home in Auburn may be a good place to check out that legacy of freedom and anti slavery.

As for the sports aspect, I believe that the OP is looking for possible sporting events, not just a Hall of Fame. Many of the places along the way have minor league teams and there is an other Hall of Fame in the Boxing Hall of Fame.

Also, there are more forms of amusement parks along not only the part of the Thruway west of Utica, but there is one off of I-81 South if he goes that way as well.

There is quite a bit of history that people forget that occurred like the Hill Cumorah site in Palmyra too: Hill Cumorah & Historic Sites

As for shopping, the OP asked about options along the way and that's what the posters gave him.

Lastly, I think people just want to give the OP what they what or can think about without posters making it about themselves, as that is how they will be able to make the decision for themselves. Just presnt information and they will decide.

To the OP, here are some more websites for some of the places suggested and others west of Utica that you may or may not be interested in: Seabreeze Amusement Park - Home

Home

Darien Lake Theme Park & Resort

Waterloo Premium Outlets

Wilmorite : Eastview Mall Rochester | Eastview Mall

Destiny USA - Your all in one shopping, dining and entertainment destination - Home

Walden Galleria

Fashion Outlets of Niagara Falls

The Official Site of Minor League Baseball | Buffalo Bisons Homepage

The Official Site of Minor League Baseball | Batavia Muckdogs Homepage

The Official Site of Minor League Baseball | Rochester Red Wings Homepage

rhinossoccer.com: Home

The Official Site of Minor League Baseball | Auburn Doubledays Homepage

The Official Site of Minor League Baseball | Syracuse Chiefs Homepage

The Official Site of Minor League Baseball | Binghamton Mets Homepage

Boxing Hall of Fame-Home

Google Image Result for http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2048/3831321837_439efb1aec.jpg

Harriet Tubman Home, Inc. | Home

Showcasing Great Women... - National Womens Hall of Fame

Fort Ontario State Historic Site - NYS Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation
Rudy's Lakeside | Open 7 Days A Week Summer hours 11am – 11pm
Oswego Harborfest | Welcome to Oswego Harborfest

Fort Rickey Discovery Zoo. Rome, New York

Fort Stanwix National Monument - Fort Stanwix National Monument

Oneida Indian Nation

Syracuse University

Finger Lakes Regional Tourism Authority on Places to Stay, Where to Eat and Things to Do - Finger Lakes Tourism Alliance

Corning Museum of Glass (I believe that kids 19 and under get in free)

Cornell University

Visit Ithaca, NY - Official Site for Ithaca, NY & Tompkins County

Seward House Historic Museum

and more........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2012, 09:45 PM

506 posts, read 1,022,275 times
Default The "Mecca" of Baseball

CK,

I agree with most of your posts but "Just a hall of fame"? A visit to the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown for a baseball fan can be likened to a visit to the Holy Land for a devoted follower of a religion. As a baseball fan, I would much rather visit the Hall of Fame than see any minor league team that I am not a follower of play a game, even more so if I had never been there before.

Old 06-23-2012, 01:28 AM

67 posts, read 94,963 times
thanks for all the suggestions. it's great to get input from people who are "passionate" about their ideas. regardless of whether or not you agree, it's all good info to me and i thank you. mahalo.

Old 06-23-2012, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exupstateny View Post
CK,

I agree with most of your posts but "Just a hall of fame"? A visit to the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown for a baseball fan can be likened to a visit to the Holy Land for a devoted follower of a religion. As a baseball fan, I would much rather visit the Hall of Fame than see any minor league team that I am not a follower of play a game, even more so if I had never been there before.
You are misreading my post. My point is that the OP is probably looking for a sporting event and not JUST going to a hall of fame, if that is what he is looking for at all. If anything, the OP might want to go to a game he and sons may not go to otherwise due to being something different, while still taking in everything that comes with attending a game. Also, many of the players on the Buffalo, Rochester and Syracuse teams are going to be or have been major leaguers at one time. I can't tell you how many former major leaguers I saw watching games here in Syracuse. Just in the last 2 or 3 years, Bryce Harper and Steven Strasburg played for the Syracuse Chiefs before going to the Washington Nationals. So, you get to see future major league stars before they make it.

Old 06-23-2012, 06:07 PM

506 posts, read 1,022,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
You are misreading my post. My point is that the OP is probably looking for a sporting event and not JUST going to a hall of fame, if that is what he is looking for at all. If anything, the OP might want to go to a game he and sons may not go to otherwise due to being something different, while still taking in everything that comes with attending a game. Also, many of the players on the Buffalo, Rochester and Syracuse teams are going to be or have been major leaguers at one time. I can't tell you how many former major leaguers I saw watching games here in Syracuse. Just in the last 2 or 3 years, Bryce Harper and Steven Strasburg played for the Syracuse Chiefs before going to the Washington Nationals. So, you get to see future major league stars before they make it.
OK, I guess I missed the point you were trying to make. It is still my opinion though that if I were given the choice between visiting the Hall of Fame or going to a Minor League game I would choose the Hall of Fame.

Old 06-23-2012, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exupstateny View Post
OK, I guess I missed the point you were trying to make. It is still my opinion though that if I were given the choice between visiting the Hall of Fame or going to a Minor League game I would choose the Hall of Fame.
That is fine and my previous issue wasn't with that suggestion, but with the flyover country comment. Perhaps the OP could do both or given the mention of a shortest route possible, Cooperstown might be out of the way. So, the more possibilities for the OP, the better. It is all about giving the OP as many options as possible.

If the OP is a football fan and will be here in late July, Jets Training Camp will be at SUNY-Cortland(first practice open to the public on July 28th), Bills Training Camp at St. John Fisher in Pittsford(near Rochester and first practice open to the public in July 26th at 5:30 PM) and Giants Training Camp at SUNY-Albany(first practice is July 27th at 1 PM).

Old 06-24-2012, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
If the OP is a football fan and will be here in late July, Jets Training Camp will be at SUNY-Cortland(first practice open to the public on July 28th), Bills Training Camp at St. John Fisher in Pittsford(near Rochester and first practice open to the public in July 26th at 5:30 PM) and Giants Training Camp at SUNY-Albany(first practice is July 27th at 1 PM).
aaaaargh!! yes big football fans. not so much jets and bills but being from hawaii, i'll take any nfl action we can get. too bad we'll be gone by then. when my oldest goes to college next year at least i'll have an excuse to go see some cardinals games. thanks again everyone for all the suggestions.

Old 06-24-2012, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
To the OP - while not kid-friendly, there are a ton of wineries throughout the Finger Lakes region if you and your wife wanted to pop in for some tastings or just to pick up some bottles. I also see you're visiting from Hawaii... I moved here from Hawaii almost 3 years ago! Hope you're enjoying your trip!
howzit! haven't made the trip yet but thanks for the well wishes. were you born here or just lived here for a while? i'm curious, what do you miss the most about hawaii besides the weather?

Old 06-25-2012, 10:29 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,507,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe weed View Post
howzit! haven't made the trip yet but thanks for the well wishes. were you born here or just lived here for a while? i'm curious, what do you miss the most about hawaii besides the weather?
I lived there for about 2 years - moved out there for a job after graduating college. I worked for an architecture firm right next to Ala Moana.

The biggest thing I miss is being able to walk and/or ride my bike everywhere. I lived behind Waikiki on the other side of the Ala Wai - one apt was in Kapahulu and the next was Moiiliili... so they were super convenient to everything. I had a car but didn't use it often. Now that I'm in the Syracuse area, I live in a walkable village which is the closest I could get to what I used to have in Hawaii. I also find it totally ridiculous that you have to pay to go to beaches and parks here.

Old 06-25-2012, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
I lived there for about 2 years - moved out there for a job after graduating college. I worked for an architecture firm right next to Ala Moana.

The biggest thing I miss is being able to walk and/or ride my bike everywhere. I lived behind Waikiki on the other side of the Ala Wai - one apt was in Kapahulu and the next was Moiiliili... so they were super convenient to everything. I had a car but didn't use it often. Now that I'm in the Syracuse area, I live in a walkable village which is the closest I could get to what I used to have in Hawaii. I also find it totally ridiculous that you have to pay to go to beaches and parks here.
Maybe try the beach at William Park in Cicero, but the vibe is most likely different than the other beaches in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York