U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-14-2012, 12:10 PM

2,635 posts, read 1,712,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
I think he means outside the cities inside NY State, towns like Elbridge and Cazenovia....
Yeah, he kinda lost me too.

On average most places in Upstate NY outside of afew cities are gonna run 95-99% white. Most of the non-white are gonna be Indians.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2012, 12:12 PM

4,340 posts, read 3,384,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
I second Glens Falls. Love that town. Oneonta is really nice too.
Oneonta is a nice town. It is very small and pretty far out there. If you have to commute to Albany, it's VERY long. In the winter, I-88 gets closed in areas due to snow drifts. And when it's not closed, they're still there and sometimes it's really bad. Then you're stuck taking Route 7 and it takes 4 days to get to Albany that way (ok it's not really 4 days, it just feels like. it can be a couple of hours due to the weather). The airport is also pretty far away. If you're looking for nightlife, I wouldn't suggest Oneonta. It is a college town, but it is out there.

Glens Falls and Queensbury have a lot more in them and around them. The commute to Albany and the airport are significantly less....like half as long. Also they are the gateway to the Adirondacks....I think you mentioned the ADK before so I thought I'd throw that out there for you.

Last edited by ss20ts; 07-14-2012 at 12:37 PM..

Old 07-14-2012, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
Yeah, he kinda lost me too.

On average most places in Upstate NY outside of afew cities are gonna run 95-99% white. Most of the non-white are gonna be Indians.

He??? You're the one who posted that!

Old 07-14-2012, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post

I will say that after living in the South, I know I grew up in a VERY white area. Not to say that where I grew up was perfect - it wasn't, but the issues there are COMPLETELY different issues than where I live now. We've had 6 murders in the first 5 months of the year. Two were white people who were in a domestic violence situation and the other 4 were black. There were 2 cops killed and 1 shot in a 6 week period. One of the shooters murdered his pregnant girlfriend in GA before coming to SC and shooting 2 cops killing 1. So now there are 2 black guys sitting in prison waiting for trial. Just last Friday, 6 people were shot in Augusta in the middle of downtown! That happened within a few minutes so it wasn't even like it took all day.

I've had enough "culture" to last me 100 lifetimes! I don't know why people around here call having different races culture....very strange to me.

The drug problems here are insane. And that's all races. No one is better than the others in that mess.

And this is supposed to be a very nice city. It's highly recommended in AARP as one of the top 10 places in the country to retire. Maybe that's the secret....you're 100 years old and never leave the house? Yeah, that's not us and we're very much looking forward to moving back to NY. The white farm girl in me has had more than enough.

Old 07-14-2012, 12:50 PM

In NY black people tend to be urban. I tend to not have anything in ****** with urban people. So I exclude most black people. Black faces mean your coming to a town.

I like that down South blacks can be folks just like me.

This may sound crazy but in the 4 decades I've been heading South it seems as the white folks move outside the cities the blacks are moving in to them. Maybe its just the volume of whites "going country" vs blacks moving to the cities. But my "spider-sense" tells me many Southern cities are looking like NY style ghettos and I'm seeing fewer black faces in the country.

Old 07-14-2012, 02:00 PM

32,047 posts, read 38,156,838 times
There are Black, Asian, Hispanic and Native American people in select communities in NY State outside of the major cities. People have to keep in mind that the history of the Northeast and South is different in terms of arrival and migration patterns for different racial groups. In Upstate NY, you can find rural people of color in noticeable numbers in some small towns near Rochester and in the Finger Lakes. Many small towns in the Hudson Valley and some here and there do as well. In the metros, select suburbs have decent amounts of people of color as well. So, it is not necesarily true that once you leave the cities that all of the towns are that White.

In the South, slavery being much more extensive and in a higher volume has something to do with Black people living throughout the Southern states in such a higher volume, for the most part. There are plenty of highly Black small towns in the South. It's really comparing apples versus oranges.

Old 07-14-2012, 02:36 PM

I would see the word the software edited out.

Common would be my guess. How on Earth did I misspell that into a bad word??

Old 07-18-2012, 11:24 PM

1 posts, read 538 times
Default Do you know. Endwell?

Hi. I am new in endwell I wanna know lots about that county, someone can help me?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York