Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 07:15 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,654,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grdnrman View Post
Hello Upstate Nancy,

If you moved from Phoenix AZ to anywhere in the Northeast U.S., then I guess you wanted a more "settled" "relaxed" atmosphere. If you wanted some place more vibrant then I think you'd have to choose New York City or Boston or some other major big city. Fast paced & go-go-go & glitzy is not the cities in the Northeast U.S. It sounds more like South Beach or Miami or Orlando or LA or Las Vegas. I think that most of the cities in the New England States, New York State, & Pennsylvania are pretty much like or worse than Metro Syracuse. Actually Syracuse is better than so many other cities. I really do like Syracuse.

Have you mentally identified why you may not be happy living in Camillus or the Syracuse area. You've got to find the bottom line dissatisfaction cause.

If you are not exactly happy living in Camillus, then I don't think you'd be happy in any other Syracuse Suburb either including the Eastside suburbs; some people say that the people in the wealthier upscale suburbs are even more stand-offish than us regular middle class people who live in the other suburbs=that's not MY opinion! If it is simply that you would like to live in a more upscale suburb then you should consider finding a home in Pompey Pines, Manlius, Skaneatles or maybe Radisson. Even though I could be happy spending time visiting places like Ithaca, Saratoga Springs, Lake George, Lake Placid, Old Forge, Alexandria Bay-1000 Islands, I would not want to live there its too small. AND I don't think any other location in "Upstate" New York is going to be better for you either. Also, please don't compare Albany to Syracuse. If you are not happy in Syracuse then put Albany right out of your mind=end of my comment on that.

It's probably best if you give yourself more time right where you are in Camillus to see if your feelings about this area change. If not, then I guess you'll have to move/head for a faster-paced region or a more upscale area (whatever the base problem is) of the U.S. because you will not find it in the Northeastern States. Sorry to hear about your unhappy feelings. Best of luck to you.

grdnrman

Your post is a bit defensive. Let's all relax and take a breath! I am a NY'er originally from NY state and having been away for 20 years, new to this area, feel what I feel, see what I see through my own perceptions and eyes. Just my feelings, not an absolute truth about the area or any area.

I'm not interested in South Beach, Miami or Vegas. I didn't mention Albany, another poster did. I am not "unhappy" here. Hasn't been that long, but there are things here that are quite different and who knows if I can adjust. Not sure, just being honest.

Last edited by Nanny Goat; 07-06-2012 at 07:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2012, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
Hey Upstate Nancy, as someone new to the area, what are your honest recommendations about a newcomer moving there? I like to talk to some other people on here, rather than the usual "pro-Upstate" and "anti-Upstate" entrenched people.

My concerns are the following:

-Upstate is not a place where newcomers are coming in, in droves. So, the people usually have friends their entire lives, so for a newcomers, its hard to make new friends. For example, I travel a lot for my job, and have been to the Syracuse metro (and Capital Region) so much lately. I find the people to be friendly enough, but wary. Almost like "who do you know that I know, and why are you talking to me?" Albany is worse, might as well be NYC with the attitude. Do you find this also?

- I don't care about property tax if the homes are cheap. A $1000 mortgage is a $1000 mortgage, and generally-speaking, I don't care who gets what. Any surprises as far as money issues go? Some people on here complain endlessly about how hard the expensive NYS taxes make your life (like 50% of your money is gone due to the bloated NYS tax structure and wages/job attainment is very difficult).

- The #1 thing holding me back from moving there. The negativity of the people in the area. I can't stress this enough, it depresses me so much because I really wish the people were cooler. I've lived in Raleigh and the pride there makes you feel so good about living there. People from there LOVE where they live. Day in and day out, it makes a difference. Its hard to tune out the naysayers when 80% of the people you meet are naysayers.

I've gone to Syracuse at least 5 times in the last few months, and EVERYONE asks me why I would consider living in such a crappy place. I answer them: cheap homes, fresh air, no traffic, ever been to Philly?" Still, they shake their head and tell me I'm making a huge mistake. On my Trip #1 and Trip #2 into the area, I liked going up there. By Trip #5, I started to dread being sent there (plus the hotels are not that great either, compared to other places, but that's not important). I don't want to rent there, as homes are so cheap, but I'm extremely concerned that hearing all the negativity, day in and day out will wear me out quick. IMO, its so important to be surrounded by happy, well-adjusted people, than live in a constant sea of negativity. Any thoughts from a newcomer on this?
People look grumpy, but are actually very nice when you talk to them. I'm used to smiling, upbeat people in Phoenix/West, but they were also phoney/fake in a lot of cases. And, flaky as heck. So, you can't judge a book by its' cover all the time. NY'ers do have more "serious" dispositions I'd say. More grounded, more common sensical. Some older man I met at Burger King said, "People are wary here about strangers." I didn't get that. What are "strangers" gonna do??
I think NY state is overregulated and it is oppressive in that way. People who live here feel and respond to that, if only unconsciously. Also, seems NY is kinda too extreme in people's lives as far as entitlements. Okay to help those who need it, yes, but has NY gone too far?Taxes, rules and regulations just to breathe. I think that can get to people. Weather can be difficult, rain/snow. That could be an issue. I don't know, people have been overwhelmingly nice and accomadating to us, 95 %. People here hold the doors open, say thank you. But, I think people hang out w /their own families and friends mostly. Doubt a newcomer would be welcomed into their "circle." Reminds me of Meet the parents with Robert Dinero talking about the circle of trust. Hehe.
But, I do feel a resistance to change that worries me. Some change in life is nec. or else the opposite of change is death/stagnancy. But, people have to want to embrace it. And, they get defensive if you mention an area's lacks/faults. I don't get that. I always see the pos/neg to anything and can say it.

Last edited by Nanny Goat; 07-06-2012 at 07:58 AM..

Old 07-06-2012, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheypepper View Post
Nancy
I have always heard people rave about Camillus...I must have went through there dozens of times with my mom on the way to my grandparents home but can't recall much. I lived in Auburn, Port Byron and have family in Skaneateles, and Baldwinsville. All are good on the eyes and according to my sisters I haven't been living my life down here in Florida compared to what they do up there. For example, my one sister rents out campsites at Fisheating Creek in the Adirondacks every year for a family reunion ( I haven't been able to go) and they go to Montreal, Toronto and NYC for extended entertainment. Get a passport! They also do the apple festivals, pumpkin patches, fall festivals, Triatholon around Owasco Lake in summer, Tomato fest in Auburn, travel to Cortland to museum and oldest Carousel in the nation. Then there is the antique fair on Route 20 ( I think they scaled that down though) in August, wine festivals, State fair, camping, hiking, swimming, Erie Canal rides, and a couple of amusement parks. Spend a day in Lake George and Lake Placid by taking the steam train from Utica north. You can also go to Herkimer Diamond mines and hunt for diamonds. St Lawrence Seaway is a great town for sightseeing and taking a ferry to Thousands Islands. I'm not a fan of Syracuse myself but you can't beat Dinosaur Barbeque and Clinton Square. Rent a limo and do all the wineries around Seneca and Cayuga Lakes...that's a blast! For certain take a trip to Ithaca and on your way stop at McKenzie Childs for their eclectric pottery ( there is an annual seconds sale at their Barn this weekend). I have a friend that is a teacher in Aurora and she is gone every weekend doing something in the State. Just get out, and google I Love New York.
If you lived in the Hudson Valley, a place I want to see, you must have gone to Mohonk Mountain Resort? It looks fabulous. I also have friends that live in Saugerties and live in NYC part of the year and in Saugerties during holidays and some weekends. Lots of retired and semiretired musicians live in Upstate NY and they could live anywhere they like...also Richard Gere has a bed and breakfast, Debra Winger has a year round home, and many others. So, it can't be too bad. I can't decide between NC and Upstate mainly because I have never driven in the winter months and some of the drivers up there ( especially semi trucks) scare the hell out of me. I am also used to lots of street lights, 4 lane roads and running to a store in the middle of night...but where I'm from up there every rolls up at 8:00 p.m. and it's really dark. Oh well you always have to trade something for something and I'm willing to for cooler days.
Camillus is pretty country. Lots of blue spruce trees everywhere. And, big ravens who talk all day. Squirrels and few rabbits. Deer...My husband saw one in yard first week here. Woo. In Phoenix, we didn't see too many deer jumping on that asphault. Hehehe. But, the winter scares me, too. I'm only working p/t, so maybe my days on will be clearer days.
I'm from Hudson Valley area, have friends there and Albany. Know the state, but this is a new area to me. When we were kids, we went as far as Corning and that was it. My father wasn't a world traveler like his gypsy daughter turned out to be. Hehe.

Last edited by Nanny Goat; 07-06-2012 at 08:00 AM..

Old 07-06-2012, 08:06 AM

93,326 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate Nancy View Post
Your post is a bit defensive. You are reading more into what I wrote. No one is attacking your city. I have a right to express my opinons as they form. I am a NY'er originally from NY state and having been away for 20 years, now to a different area, feel what I feel, see what I see through my own perceptions and eyes. Just my feelings, not an absolute truth about the area or any area.

I'm not interested in South Beach, Miami or Vegas. I didn't mention Albany, another poster did. I am not "unhappy" here. Hasn't been that long, but there are things here that are quite different and who knows if I can adjust. Not sure, just being honest.
Nancy, that is the impression i got from your posts too.

I also agree with you in terms of some people being resistant to change, but I think that depends on the age of the people, their educational background and if they have been anywhere else or come from somewhere else. I also think people would be surprised by how many people are willing to hang with different or newer people. I honestly can't say this enough, but if you want to stay in the area, I strongly suggest the East Side of Syracuse into the eastern suburbs. Especially if you want to go to events at say Syracuse University, Syracuse Stage and events in Downtown Syracuse. I'd even suggest areas like Strathmore, the Valley south of Seneca Turnpike and maybe even parts of the neighborhoods along James Street(Sedgwick, parts of Eastwood and maybe even Lincoln Hill closer to james) within the city. Towns like Clay and Salina are probably more appropriate versus Camillus in terms of diversity of people and they are towns with more people.

You may also like this information: Elmwood Village

Elmwood Village - Buffalo New York - YouTube

Great Places in America: Neighborhoods (it is very close to the area above)

Greater University Hill* ? Syracuse, New York

Welcome to Strathmore By The Park, Syracuse, New York

Walkable Eastwood
Eastwood Neighborhood Association

SEDGWICK FARM NEIGHBORHOOD ASSOCIATION

Home - Lincoln Hill Neighborhood Association, Syracuse, NY

Berkeley Park Properties 1

scottholm syracuse - Google Maps

Rochester Neighborhoods - Rochester Wiki (Look at the Southeast neighborhoods and their sites, as well as Charlotte, which has a beach too)

Visit Ithaca, NY - Official Site for Ithaca, NY & Tompkins County

Downtown Ithaca NY - YouTube

Also, do you live in Camillus near the village? Fairmount, which is in the town of Camillus, is pretty much standard suburbia. I'm sure you know that though.

If need be and if i have more time, I'll add more places that may or may not interest you or other posters.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 07-06-2012 at 08:30 AM..

Old 07-06-2012, 09:58 AM

1,544 posts, read 3,620,285 times
People are certainly entitled to their opinion. As someone who grew up in Westchester County and lived in Camillus after college, I won't disagree that there is a segment of the population in Central and Western New York that fits the stereotype that Nancy describes on Sperlings and on the forum. To be fair, though, I don't consider the populace of the Hudson Valley to be overly cosmopolitan, highly educated or sophisticated. Outside of most communities in Westchester County, a small portion of Rockland, and places like Millbrook, New Paltz, Tuxedo Park, Hyde Park, Rhinebeck, Woodstock, Cold Spring, and the Spackenkill section of the town of Poughkeepsie, I don't see a signficant difference between the suburbs of further flung large upstate New York cities aside from the some subtle differences in architecture, topography, and dialect. It's also worth noting all of the afforementioned mid-Hudson Valley communities sans Spackenkill and Tuxedo Park, have a large percentage of residents who maintain weekend homes and do not reflect the population as a whole. In fact, I have found the people in Camillus to be more sophisticated than those in quite a few middle and upper middle class Lower Hudson Valley suburbs like Mahopac, Cortlandt, Yorktown, Hawthorne, Valhalla, and West Harrison.

Camillus does have fewer transplants than the eastern suburbs of Syracuse (ie Manlius, Fayetteville, Jamesville, Cazenovia, DeWitt, etc); however that doesn't mean the community is undesirable. Real estate agents have generally pushed relocating professionals to move to the eastern suburbs due to that area's relative proximity to major medical centers, universities, and corporations like Carrier's R&D facility, Bristol Myers Squibb, and suburban office parks. Homes in the eastern suburbs also tend to be more expensive and much larger which translates into a greater commission for the real estate agent. Despite being further from most of the area's major employers, Camillus is still only a 15 to 20 minute commute from downtown Syracuse and has direct highway access via Route 695. Welch Allyn, one of the world's leading privately held medical device companies has its world headquarters in Skaneateles which is only about 20 minutes southwest of Camillus. The company employs around 1,000 people in Skaneateles which makes Camillus uniquely positioned to capture some of these highly paid and educated employees as it is the closest suburban town from buccolic Skaneateles and offers more affordable newer construction and an easier commute for spouses that work in Syracuse and the northern suburbs.

According to 2010 census data, the median and average household income as well as the percentage of the population with a bachelor's degree or higher in Camillus is above the state and national average of 32% and 30% respectively. If you look at the breakdown of educational attainment by age group, the percentage of the population with a bachelor's degree or higher in the 25 to 34 age bracket is just under 50%, compared to the national average of 30% and is significantly higher than the older age groups in the township. This is a good indicator that the town is able to attract a more educated younger population. West Genesee, the principal school district serving Camillus and several outlying areas is among the better performing school districts in upstate New York and includes a blue ribbon elementary school and nationally ranked music program. Just over 96% of the students received regents diplomas and the vast majority of the students go on to college. The town has a wide range of housing stock from more modest WWII cape cods, raised ranches, split levels, apartment complexes, large colonials in newly built subdivisions on several acres of land and some large homes on winding country roads.

A few years ago, I lived in an upscale apartment complex in Camillus and had neighbors that relocated from Pittsburgh, Bucks County, PA, Oxnard, CA, Salt Lake City, Hartford and Boston. All of them were professionals including a physician, attorney, engineer, and teacher. I'm not saying this is indicative of everywhere in the town, however there are certainly professional people in Camillus. There was a young couple I was friends with that ended up purchasing a home in Camillus because they liked the community so much and wanted to establish roots there. They were from Yardley, PA, a Philadelphia suburb. I used to go jogging in a more established development called Pioneer Farms that had picturesque woods, rollling hills, and nice-sized colonial and contemporary homes (2,500 to 4,500 SF). There were quite a few late model Volvo X Country wagons, a Porsche Cayenne, Mercedes S-Class, and other high-end cars in the driveways. The type of car one drives is not indicative of wealth or educational attainment, however one would be very mistaken to assume the entire population drives pickup trucks and American-made cars; although many do. I have been back to the area quite a few times, including last week and have not noticed any changes for the worse.

Although far from scientific, I looked at last week's real estate transactions in The Post-Standard for the towns of Manlius and DeWitt, two eastern suburban communities that have a sizable percentage of transplants. A quick internet search of the buyers names, showed at least half relocated from out-of-state including from the following metros: Charlotte, Baltimore, Raleigh-Durham, Philadelphia (Paoli), Los Angeles, Sacramento, Cincinnati, and Detroit (Bloomfield Hills).

If someone doesn't mind the slower pace of life, snow, values outdoor activities, and has a good paying job, Syracuse is a very nice place to live in my opinion. There are certainly things I don't like about the area, such as the condition of many city neighborhoods, simpleton politicians, an insular mentality among some residents, and the lack of growing technology companies. All four of these compliants, however, can be said about many places, including Albany, Pittsburgh, and Cleveland.

Last edited by RollsRoyce; 07-06-2012 at 10:10 AM..

Old 07-06-2012, 10:46 AM

655 posts, read 2,328,340 times
Default So well said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce View Post
People are certainly entitled to their opinion. As someone who grew up in Westchester County and lived in Camillus after college, I won't disagree that there is a segment of the population in Central and Western New York that fits the stereotype that Nancy describes on Sperlings and on the forum. To be fair, though, I don't consider the populace of the Hudson Valley to be overly cosmopolitan, highly educated or sophisticated. Outside of most communities in Westchester County, a small portion of Rockland, and places like Millbrook, New Paltz, Tuxedo Park, Hyde Park, Rhinebeck, Woodstock, Cold Spring, and the Spackenkill section of the town of Poughkeepsie, I don't see a signficant difference between the suburbs of further flung large upstate New York cities aside from the some subtle differences in architecture, topography, and dialect. It's also worth noting all of the afforementioned mid-Hudson Valley communities sans Spackenkill and Tuxedo Park, have a large percentage of residents who maintain weekend homes and do not reflect the population as a whole. In fact, I have found the people in Camillus to be more sophisticated than those in quite a few middle and upper middle class Lower Hudson Valley suburbs like Mahopac, Cortlandt, Yorktown, Hawthorne, Valhalla, and West Harrison.

Camillus does have fewer transplants than the eastern suburbs of Syracuse (ie Manlius, Fayetteville, Jamesville, Cazenovia, DeWitt, etc); however that doesn't mean the community is undesirable. Real estate agents have generally pushed relocating professionals to move to the eastern suburbs due to that area's relative proximity to major medical centers, universities, and corporations like Carrier's R&D facility, Bristol Myers Squibb, and suburban office parks. Homes in the eastern suburbs also tend to be more expensive and much larger which translates into a greater commission for the real estate agent. Despite being further from most of the area's major employers, Camillus is still only a 15 to 20 minute commute from downtown Syracuse and has direct highway access via Route 695. Welch Allyn, one of the world's leading privately held medical device companies has its world headquarters in Skaneateles which is only about 20 minutes southwest of Camillus. The company employs around 1,000 people in Skaneateles which makes Camillus uniquely positioned to capture some of these highly paid and educated employees as it is the closest suburban town from buccolic Skaneateles and offers more affordable newer construction and an easier commute for spouses that work in Syracuse and the northern suburbs.

According to 2010 census data, the median and average household income as well as the percentage of the population with a bachelor's degree or higher in Camillus is above the state and national average of 32% and 30% respectively. If you look at the breakdown of educational attainment by age group, the percentage of the population with a bachelor's degree or higher in the 25 to 34 age bracket is just under 50%, compared to the national average of 30% and is significantly higher than the older age groups in the township. This is a good indicator that the town is able to attract a more educated younger population. West Genesee, the principal school district serving Camillus and several outlying areas is among the better performing school districts in upstate New York and includes a blue ribbon elementary school and nationally ranked music program. Just over 96% of the students received regents diplomas and the vast majority of the students go on to college. The town has a wide range of housing stock from more modest WWII cape cods, raised ranches, split levels, apartment complexes, large colonials in newly built subdivisions on several acres of land and some large homes on winding country roads.

A few years ago, I lived in an upscale apartment complex in Camillus and had neighbors that relocated from Pittsburgh, Bucks County, PA, Oxnard, CA, Salt Lake City, Hartford and Boston. All of them were professionals including a physician, attorney, engineer, and teacher. I'm not saying this is indicative of everywhere in the town, however there are certainly professional people in Camillus. There was a young couple I was friends with that ended up purchasing a home in Camillus because they liked the community so much and wanted to establish roots there. They were from Yardley, PA, a Philadelphia suburb. I used to go jogging in a more established development called Pioneer Farms that had picturesque woods, rollling hills, and nice-sized colonial and contemporary homes (2,500 to 4,500 SF). There were quite a few late model Volvo X Country wagons, a Porsche Cayenne, Mercedes S-Class, and other high-end cars in the driveways. The type of car one drives is not indicative of wealth or educational attainment, however one would be very mistaken to assume the entire population drives pickup trucks and American-made cars; although many do. I have been back to the area quite a few times, including last week and have not noticed any changes for the worse.

Although far from scientific, I looked at last week's real estate transactions in The Post-Standard for the towns of Manlius and DeWitt, two eastern suburban communities that have a sizable percentage of transplants. A quick internet search of the buyers names, showed at least half relocated from out-of-state including from the following metros: Charlotte, Baltimore, Raleigh-Durham, Philadelphia (Paoli), Los Angeles, Sacramento, Cincinnati, and Detroit (Bloomfield Hills).

If someone doesn't mind the slower pace of life, snow, values outdoor activities, and has a good paying job, Syracuse is a very nice place to live in my opinion. There are certainly things I don't like about the area, such as the condition of many city neighborhoods, simpleton politicians, an insular mentality among some residents, and the lack of growing technology companies. All four of these compliants, however, can be said about many places, including Albany, Pittsburgh, and Cleveland.
Hi RollsRoyce,

Your post is so well said that its content just about overwhelms me with its intelligence, insight, logic, reasoning, objectivity; the post deserves a special award!!

grdnrman

Old 07-06-2012, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Hi RollsRoyce,

Your post is so well said that its content just about overwhelms me with its intelligence, insight, logic, reasoning, objectivity; the post deserves a special award!!

grdnrman

Thanks for the complement, grdnrman. There are many posters on the Syracuse forum that provide insight that is as good or better than mine, including yourself. Your calendar of fireworks information across upstate was very informative as are all of your posts. Keep up the good work!

Old 07-06-2012, 12:21 PM

655 posts, read 2,328,340 times
Default Each has to find their own contentment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Yes, I think people not familiar with this part of NY would be surprised by how down to earth and reserved people can be here.

Once people open up they are generally very friendly. It is pretty much live and let live.

What part of the area are you in? If you aren't there, you would probably be like the East Side of Syracuse and into the eastern suburbs due to people being affiliated with the colleges and it is a part of the area with a good diversity of people and some wealth.

Perhaps the Albany-Schenectady-Troy area could work if the Syracuse area doesn't do it for you anymore.

Ithaca is a small college town, but it is pretty cosmopolitan for its size. Again, I believe that the college presence has a lot to do with that.
Hi ckhthankgod,

Yes, down-to-earth and reserved. Great traits="settled", stable, grounded, serious minded; not fly-by-night, "flighty", up-in-the-air, indecisive.

Yes, people here are for the most part, friendly and have a live-and-let-live attitude. Most people don't care for too-noisy or obnoxious acquaintances.

Living in one suburb verus another local suburb probably isn't going to change anyone's outlook or feelings. However, moving from a poverty neighborhood to a good middle-class neighborhood probably would change a person's outlook.

Moving from Metro Syracuse to the Cap. Dist. would be a step down; IMO.

Ithaca is one of my favorite small cities, but unless you are connected to one of the several "communities" or groups/types of people, I think it could be quite isolating/unconnected/maybe lonely.
.................................................. ...........

ckhthankgod=Your posts are always helpful and show good judgement, intelligence, knowledge, concern, and objectivity.

But I have to disagree a little with this particular post.

The Metro Syracuse area is not large as a major city like NY City, Miami, Los Angeles, Chicago, etc. ` Therefore I don't feel that the suburbs around Syracuse are populated by types of people extremely different from one another. You can find doctors, lawyers, engineers, other professional people residing in most all the suburbs ringing Syracuse city. And Syracuse isn't so large that residents living anywhere in Metro Syracuse can't easily drive/travel to events, shows, concerts, restaurants, parks, fairs, movies, antique fests, museums, entertainment which are held at any Metro or CNY or countryside location. Also I have friends who live in a lot of places around Syracuse=East Syr., Manlius, Baldwinsville, Fairmount, North Syr., Cicero, Liverpool, Central Square, Skaneatles. The friends I choose are not restricted "just" to my immediate neighborhood or suburb; I choose friends regardless of where they live, based on mutual interests, compatibility, etc.

So I think suggesting to someone that moving to/residing in a different suburb might assist/clarify/change/improve a person's "feelings"/outlook/contentment about any particular suburban area (might possibly help them with their "feelings"), I doubt relocating would solve the "feelings" involved.

All of us can only try to assist people. It is up to them to identify and deal with their outlooks/feelings/happiness. They have to arrive at their state of happiness on their own; we have no sci-fi "transporter" to get them there. ................... I have a friend with a serious medical problem and as much as I would like to "banish/vanish" that problem for the person its beyond my ability; I (we) can only give our best advice, suggestions, assistance=the person has to arrive at their own decisions=we can not cure the problem nor deliver happiness/contentment to them.

grdnrman

Old 07-06-2012, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce View Post

I don't think or haven't said that Hudson Valley is much better than other areas in NY state. Just a place I knew about because I lived there for a good number of years and left. Some NYC influences perk it up a bit and make it more interesting, but also more expensive. Their imput has revitalized some of the cities in the Hudson Valley, which is a good thing.
I don't want to appear to be knocking the area. Enough said. There's good and bad, everybody can decide for themselves.

Last edited by Nanny Goat; 07-06-2012 at 01:35 PM..

Old 07-06-2012, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Hi ckhthankgod,

Yes, down-to-earth and reserved. Great traits="settled", stable, grounded, serious minded; not fly-by-night, "flighty", up-in-the-air, indecisive.

Yes, people here are for the most part, friendly and have a live-and-let-live attitude. Most people don't care for too-noisy or obnoxious acquaintances.

Living in one suburb verus another local suburb probably isn't going to change anyone's outlook or feelings. However, moving from a poverty neighborhood to a good middle-class neighborhood probably would change a person's outlook.

Moving from Metro Syracuse to the Cap. Dist. would be a step down; IMO.

Ithaca is one of my favorite small cities, but unless you are connected to one of the several "communities" or groups/types of people, I think it could be quite isolating/unconnected/maybe lonely.
.................................................. ...........

ckhthankgod=Your posts are always helpful and show good judgement, intelligence, knowledge, concern, and objectivity.

But I have to disagree a little with this particular post.

The Metro Syracuse area is not large as a major city like NY City, Miami, Los Angeles, Chicago, etc. ` Therefore I don't feel that the suburbs around Syracuse are populated by types of people extremely different from one another. You can find doctors, lawyers, engineers, other professional people residing in most all the suburbs ringing Syracuse city. And Syracuse isn't so large that residents living anywhere in Metro Syracuse can't easily drive/travel to events, shows, concerts, restaurants, parks, fairs, movies, antique fests, museums, entertainment which are held at any Metro or CNY or countryside location. Also I have friends who live in a lot of places around Syracuse=East Syr., Manlius, Baldwinsville, Fairmount, North Syr., Cicero, Liverpool, Central Square, Skaneatles. The friends I choose are not restricted "just" to my immediate neighborhood or suburb; I choose friends regardless of where they live, based on mutual interests, compatibility, etc.

So I think suggesting to someone that moving to/residing in a different suburb might assist/clarify/change/improve a person's "feelings"/outlook/contentment about any particular suburban area (might possibly help them with their "feelings"), I doubt relocating would solve the "feelings" involved.

All of us can only try to assist people. It is up to them to identify and deal with their outlooks/feelings/happiness. They have to arrive at their state of happiness on their own; we have no sci-fi "transporter" to get them there. ................... I have a friend with a serious medical problem and as much as I would like to "banish/vanish" that problem for the person its beyond my ability; I (we) can only give our best advice, suggestions, assistance=the person has to arrive at their own decisions=we can not cure the problem nor deliver happiness/contentment to them.

grdnrman

I do think Syracuse is big enough and has a variation of suburbs to notice a subtle to obvious difference in demographics, topography, home style, zoning, etc. For an example, I know some people who hate the northern suburbs because of its sprawling nature, flat land, and various other reasons. I know people from the northern suburbs and western suburbs that detest the eastern suburbs because they have a perception that people there are wealthy, demanding, and are aggressive drivers. Despite the more compact nature of the Syracuse metro area, I don't think the average person has as much exposure to different sides of town aside from shopping trips and doctor's appointments. I had a friend in college that was from Elbridge and played lacrosse. She played a game against Jamesville-Dewitt (a relatively affluent suburban school district east of Syracuse) and several of the students had never heard of Elbridge let alone knew it was only 30 minutes to the west. There is also a degree of unfamilarity between residents that reside in city and suburban areas. There are certain communities and suburbs that I would chose not to live in and if I assumed the metro area was identical, I would look elsewhere. There is nothing inherently wrong with the vast majority of the communities in CNY. For some people, however, what most of us would consider to be minor or non-existent criteria for relocating to a new community are major deciding factors. Some of this may be related to preferences based on religion, ethnicity, politics, educational attainment, architecture (new construction vs old construction), access to public transportation and proximity to work. You can easily have two communities that look simliar on paper - above average income, good schools, and nice homes yet are significantly different.

Last edited by RollsRoyce; 07-06-2012 at 01:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York