U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Which is more lively?
Albany 10 34.48%
Buffalo 19 65.52%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-01-2012, 09:49 AM

6,629 posts, read 4,945,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Lark Street seems to be popular within the city, but what I think hurts Albany is that things are spread out among the other cities in the metro area(Saratoga Springs, Schenectady and Troy). So, it isn't concentrated within one city center like it is in other metro areas in Upstate NY.
Not sure who told you about Lark Street but if I remember correctly, that's just another residential street with crappy houses. You are right though, the problem with the Capital Region is that you have to drive everywhere to do anything. It blows. Combined with the fact that there just isn't much to do unless you like sketchy bars or foam nights at the clubs (which are kinda fun if you don't mind hoes all around you). The only area I really enjoy is Saratoga but only in the summer time. Broadway is fun to walk down and has great places to eat and shop. But that's about it.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2012, 11:28 AM

29,028 posts, read 32,988,763 times
Certain parts of Lark are better than others, but here is information on the area of Lark I was talking about: Lark Street BID :: Welcome

Old 08-01-2012, 04:06 PM

87 posts, read 51,529 times
Drove through Buffalo. Not impressed. Albany I have been to on business, like it very much. Trendy restaurants. Lots of history. All the ammenities within driving distance. Very small pocket of poor area. Not a lot of people but enough to make you feel you are in a civilized world. Albany is middle-class to upper middle class by and large.
State capitol building is beautiful inside and outside. Downtown has beautiful old turn of the century(1900)buildings, and a stones throw, beautiful 2000 century modern glass buildings, which I find fascinating to see almost side by side. People are nice. Not harried. The 1912 telephone office has been turned into a restaurant/bar. They kept the building and everything in it as authentic as possible. The variety of beers are unique. I had raspberry beer!!! and the food is excellent, fresh made(not pre-prepared thrown into the micro).....yes I can tell the difference.

Old 08-01-2012, 05:34 PM

3,235 posts, read 4,768,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron1022 View Post
Drove through Buffalo. Not impressed. Albany I have been to on business, like it very much. Trendy restaurants. Lots of history. All the ammenities within driving distance. Very small pocket of poor area. Not a lot of people but enough to make you feel you are in a civilized world. Albany is middle-class to upper middle class by and large.
State capitol building is beautiful inside and outside. Downtown has beautiful old turn of the century(1900)buildings, and a stones throw, beautiful 2000 century modern glass buildings, which I find fascinating to see almost side by side. People are nice. Not harried. The 1912 telephone office has been turned into a restaurant/bar. They kept the building and everything in it as authentic as possible. The variety of beers are unique. I had raspberry beer!!! and the food is excellent, fresh made(not pre-prepared thrown into the micro).....yes I can tell the difference.
Buffalo has all of those things .....Albany does have older architecture in some places though.

Old 08-15-2012, 04:36 PM

214 posts, read 170,685 times
Hmmm... your from the NYC area. Of course everything Upstate seems gloomy.

Old 08-15-2012, 09:11 PM

3,423 posts, read 2,326,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
Not sure who told you about Lark Street but if I remember correctly, that's just another residential street with crappy houses. You are right though, the problem with the Capital Region is that you have to drive everywhere to do anything. It blows. Combined with the fact that there just isn't much to do unless you like sketchy bars or foam nights at the clubs (which are kinda fun if you don't mind hoes all around you). The only area I really enjoy is Saratoga but only in the summer time. Broadway is fun to walk down and has great places to eat and shop. But that's about it.
Crappy houses on Lark Street? You don't remember correctly at all. In fact I wonder if you've ever been to Albany. Lark Street has gorgeous architecture.

Old 08-16-2012, 06:24 PM

6,629 posts, read 4,945,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
Crappy houses on Lark Street? You don't remember correctly at all. In fact I wonder if you've ever been to Albany. Lark Street has gorgeous architecture.
I lived in the Albany area for 10 years. Sorry that I forgot about a street that had nice houses.

Old 08-18-2012, 10:41 PM

3,423 posts, read 2,326,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
I lived in the Albany area for 10 years. Sorry that I forgot about a street that had nice houses.
That is the thing though. In such a small city, Lark Street is the street with the nice houses

Old 08-22-2012, 03:05 PM

841 posts, read 740,541 times
Albany---
Lively...do you mean like in gun shootings? People hanging out in front of the unemployment office is pretty lively according to my husband.

He had to go in there and on the way he saw a woman he thought was a a hooker. Turns out she worked there.

Guess you have to be a skank or bald headed criminal to get a job here. Sure seems like it.

Yeah, it's a barrel of laughs in Albany.

Old 09-05-2012, 01:17 PM

10 posts, read 7,288 times
Buffalo is better than Albany.

Buffalo does have it's problems, but Albany is the more depressing place. The only aspect Albany has winning over Buffalo is the economy now. As I stated in another post, Albany has no distinct culture nor does it share many or any cultural aspects with western NY and downstate NY. It feels like a place where people settled but it never developed a good city/metro area culture over time. Most of the city is run down and caters to college students. I also agree with other posters that the natives of Albany tend to have a negative attitude about life, something I've never encountered in Buffalo, NYC, Long Island, and other parts of NYS I lived and visited.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York