U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 12:56 PM

136 posts, read 676,944 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We are seeking input on how much the average home utility bill may be for upstate NY cities and towns. I realize that there are many circumstances that would reflect on one's utility usage and costs, but we would appreciate any ball-park figures that any of you could share with us for what you and others pay on average. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2007, 11:18 PM

1,315 posts, read 2,353,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisruns2far View Post
Hello,

We are seeking input on how much the average home utility bill may be for upstate NY cities and towns. I realize that there are many circumstances that would reflect on one's utility usage and costs, but we would appreciate any ball-park figures that any of you could share with us for what you and others pay on average. Thanks!
utilities are some of the highest in the country in WNY..

Old 10-04-2007, 06:44 AM

45 posts, read 169,216 times
Perhaps you should ask what is the rate per kilowatt and amount and type of taxes that appear on the bill each month? This might provide a better means of comparison for you.

Old 10-04-2007, 08:06 AM

1,049 posts, read 2,517,497 times
of course there are a lot of variables, depending on your usage - for instance during the coldest winters, my dads heating bill was over $600 one month, keep in mind he was elderly and needed to keep his heat up due to medical conditions, mine for that month was probably $360, and my home was twice the size of his.

Old 10-04-2007, 10:03 AM

136 posts, read 676,944 times
Default Are these figures real?

Quote:
Originally Posted by a private person View Post
Perhaps you should ask what is the rate per kilowatt and amount and type of taxes that appear on the bill each month? This might provide a better means of comparison for you.
From what I have found, NY as a state pays an average of $17.63 cents per Kw for electricity and the average NY home uses approx. 6,700 Kw a year in electricity and the heating season natural gas bill from November thru April was approx. $1,074 for that six month period.

This would make the avergae gas bill = $179 per month and the average electric bill = $99 per month.

Do you feel that the above figures are a good approximation of what one would expect to pay in general?

Old 10-04-2007, 10:49 AM

3,235 posts, read 5,080,087 times
I don't pay anywhere near that amount per month. Where I am they combine the bill. From about April to December I'll pay around $100 per month total. December to March I'll pay around $250, sometimes $300 if its really cold. I live in a cape cod style home which is smaller than others though.

Old 10-04-2007, 03:02 PM

3,956 posts, read 5,603,621 times
I live in a 1,200 foot ranch built in the 1950s with terrible insulation. We keep the heat (National Fuel) at 70 all winter and the a/c (NYSEG) at 68 all summer. My water is $120/year -- you pay quarterly (Erie County watrer authority). My balanced billing is about $100/mo for elec and $120 for gas. If you balance, they will rebalance every 3 months. I have an electric dryer which soaks up lots of use and a gas stove.

Every town is different. NYSEG and National Grid are the 2 electric companies; National Fuel is gas. The city of Buffalo and some towns have their own water plants and do not buy from the county. In some towns, water goes on the yearly tax bill.

Given my parents paid $600/year for oil heat in the 1960s on LI, I really do not think the cost is high!

Old 10-04-2007, 06:56 PM

325 posts, read 585,976 times
I have a 1600sf, well-insulted 1959 colonial. On a budget plan, paying the same amount every month for the whole year (amount figured based on past usage patterns), I'm now paying $205/month for heat and electric.

Old 10-07-2007, 08:19 AM

805 posts, read 2,027,686 times
Great thread!! - - Does anyone have info on Winter / Summer utility price averages in the ROCHESTER area?

Also, is heating oil still a big part of the local housing there, or is it mostly electric / natural gas heat?

Old 10-08-2007, 11:19 AM

148 posts, read 446,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by By~Tor View Post
Great thread!! - - Does anyone have info on Winter / Summer utility price averages in the ROCHESTER area?

Also, is heating oil still a big part of the local housing there, or is it mostly electric / natural gas heat?
Some of the highest in the nation. If you heat with oil, you'll get pounded by the taxes. Everything from your phone, both cell and land line, your natural gas, electric, water etc have confiscatory tax rates and numerous FEES. You'll be shocked when you get your first bill. It's really a shame but someone has to pay for all this government as government is NY's largest employer. Did you know that NY State pensions are EXEMPT from paying NY taxes? all other pensions in NY must pay taxes except the government employees. Most of them retire and move away anyway.

$90,000 house , 1300 sq ft., $4200 in school/property/village taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York