Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 09:13 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,786,314 times

Advertisements

Can't believe you folks haven't yet mentioned Binghamton's own contribution to cuisine: Spiedie - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Rob Salamida - (800) 545-5072 - Home

My favorite is Sharkey's: Sharkey's - Binghamton, NY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 10:53 AM

87 posts, read 372,274 times
You gotta go to Lupo's in Endwell for a Spiedie! Although Sharkeys is good too!

Old 09-16-2012, 01:38 PM

4,241 posts, read 7,175,680 times
Its been a while and travel plans have changed, so I am not going further that the vicinity of Corning/Elmira, but your recommendations for the Finger Lakes area and...espcially Binghamton area...are excellent.

Binghamton deffo sounds like a great side trip! Where is this First Ward area (some streets or intersections so I can find it on the map)?

Also, thinking of a quick jaunt off the freeway to Hammondsport on Keauka Lake, since it seems really close to the highway....do you all know anything about that town and lake?

But, yes, thank you a bunch for the intel on Binghamton. Elmira sounds pretty....bland...in compariosn.

Sounds like this trip will be still pretty interesting.

Old 09-16-2012, 03:05 PM

93,315 posts, read 123,941,088 times
If you stop in Elmira, you may want to check out the Ernie Davis statue by Ernie Davis Middle School. He was the first African-American Heisman Trophy winner and he grew up there. If you are a sports fan, you may appreciate that. Ernie Davis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Elmira City Schools

You may want to check out this neighborhood too: "Victorian HOME TOUR and information" - Victorian guided walking, bus tours "Victorian Homes Experience", Elmira, NY, Historic Homes, Finger Lakes Region

Near Westside Neighborhood Association, Inc.

Old 09-16-2012, 05:40 PM

87 posts, read 372,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
Its been a while and travel plans have changed, so I am not going further that the vicinity of Corning/Elmira, but your recommendations for the Finger Lakes area and...espcially Binghamton area...are excellent.

Binghamton deffo sounds like a great side trip! Where is this First Ward area (some streets or intersections so I can find it on the map)?

Also, thinking of a quick jaunt off the freeway to Hammondsport on Keauka Lake, since it seems really close to the highway....do you all know anything about that town and lake?

But, yes, thank you a bunch for the intel on Binghamton. Elmira sounds pretty....bland...in compariosn.

Sounds like this trip will be still pretty interesting.
The First Ward main drag is Clinton St. The churches I previously mentioned are scattered around though, some on Clinton St, Glenwood Ave, Baxter St, Prospect St etc. all over.

Old 09-18-2012, 05:56 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,221,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
Not sure how I missed this thread.

Definitely do this - especially in October

The wineries along the lake are usually pretty busy this time of year - there is also a microbrew place that is fun to stop by (btw, the view from their webpage is what you could very well end up seeing from atop the hill by the wineries on the west lake during october)

Keuka Brewing Company : Hammondsport, NY : Keuka Brewing Co

Here are a couple of my favorite wineries on the west lake side of Keuka
http://www.drfrankwines.com/

Heron Hill - Homepage

Bully Hill Vineyards

Hunt Country Vineyards

I'd definitely recommend driving the west lake road out from Hammondsport to Branchport (very nice drive and some good places to eat) - then heading back up to the high routes on the way back to Hammondsport to visit the wineries

Hammondsport itself is a nice little village - a small town square, some neat shops (browsers, cinnamon stick) and a couple restaurants ... if you like aviation/early motorcycles it could be worth checking out the Glenn Curtiss Museum

Glenn H. Curtiss Aviation Museum - Aviation History / Naval Aviation / Early Aviation

Also, in Hammondsport you can drive to the head of the lake and walk by the water for a little bit if you want - not a big pier like out at watkins glen though

If you are there in October there could be a lot of events in the area - you have the harvest season and all the pre-winter festivals ... the Windmill Market in Penn Yan can be a fun diversion

http://www.thewindmill.com/

I always enjoyed the fall foliage festival in nearby cohocton - vendors (salt potatoes!), crafts and of course grape pie

Fall Foliage Festival October 6th & 7th, 2012

There are pick your own apple orchards, etc in the area around the lake as well (more towards the north end)

If you like golf this 9 hole course on top of a hill outside of Corning is pretty solid and offers great views (especially in October) - can get a bit chilly though
Pinnacle State Park and Golf Course - NYS Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation

If there is anything specific about that general area (bath, hammondsport, watkins glen, corning) I'll do my best to answer

Old 09-20-2012, 08:31 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,175,680 times
Wow..thanks! It sounds like Hammondsport would be a good introductory taste of the Finger Lakes. I would get off the freeway at Bath and drive to Hammondsport and maybe cut across to the southern tips of the lakes to Watkins Glenn and then lunch in Ithaca (I was going to try the famous Moosewood in Ithaca).

Regarding Corning, are there any good coffee shops? (places that serve latte, cappucino, etc...that kind of coffee shop). Also interested in places that open early in the morning for breakfast (or a 24 hour diner type of place) where I can get an early breakfast.

Old 09-20-2012, 11:32 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,221,658 times
Yeah - I'm sure I'm a bit biased, but I think that part of the state cutting from Kueka to Seneca to Cayuga is great

To get to Hammondsport you'd get off on the 1st Bath exit (heading west to east) - make your way to washington street, work to liberty street and ride it as it turns into geneva street/rte 54 .... about 7 miles from there to Hammondsport ...... staying on 54 will run you to the east side of the lake towards Penn Yan - taking a left onto 54a will lead you through hammondsport towards the west lake

To get to watkins glen from hammondsport you'd just start up the east side of the lake on 54 - fairly soon you'd take a right and climb up the hill on co rd 87 - you can take that to 96 or drop down to fleet road it really doesn't matter much - they connect at co rd 23 and you split waneta & lamoka lakes (minor lakes) swing through a couple old country towns that show some age (tyrone) - connect to 28 and drop in watkins glen

there is a little pier in Watkins Glen - nothing fancy, but I like to stop when I head back (mainly because I live in a desert now) - there is also a little lake side park

If you make it to the Glen I can't recommend enough to at least walk some of the gorge - try for the whole thing, it's not that long or tough, but definitely at least get out of the car and stick your head in ....... then again, whenever I get back I try to be outside and in the country as much as possible ...... i find it relaxing and refereshing, but as with anything your tastes and mileage may vary

If corning is your base it's only a half hour up 414 to watkins glen, so you don't have to package it with hammondsport, etc

The drive from the glen to ithaca on from watkins glen on 79 is nice, although not much to see

As for coffee - there was a place in Painted Post that I stopped at last time I was home that was really good - heaven or something ....... not sure if it's still around

There may not be a ton of options, but I'm sure there are bound to be some options relatively close to market street

If you hit bath in the morning I'd recommend grabbing a couple English Cuts from Betty Kay Bake Shop on liberty street ... chat a whyle is decent for breakfast and their sticky buns are good

Jelly Beans in Painted Post has a solid breakfast and is open relatively early (6am)

If you get jumpy and a bit brave, there is Smokeys Restaurant at the truck stop in Kanona - about all I can think of in the area that is 24 hours ....... definitely a classic truck stop establishment though

Don't be afraid to ask around for suggestions though - most people in the area are friendly and have an opinion, it could also lead to a couple other suggestions of what is current and off the beaten track
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York