U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2012, 11:19 AM

655 posts, read 2,143,304 times

Advertisements

Canadian friends in Ottawa have told me that they listen to some Syracuse radio stations. I don't know which ones though. Even though not a direct straight-line across Lake Ontario between Syracuse and Ottawa, maybe that's part of the reason and the rest of the reason could be that they live in Ottawa highrise buildings.

When I lived in middle (Black River valley) Lewis County, we could receive Utica & Watertown & Kingston-Ont. TV stations, but Tug Hill blocked out Syracuse TV stations. Eastward closer toward the Adirondacks (10-15 miles farther east) they COULD receive Syr. TV. We did not have cable back in those years.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 02:34 PM

715 posts, read 2,284,662 times
Here's the coverage pattern for WWHT FM 107.9 Syracuse (transmitting from LaFayette).

I'd imagine with the best receiver could receive SYR stations from coastal Ontario, but Ottawa is really pushing the maximum transmission distance of FM waves. AM waves, on the other hand, have more of a horizontal trajectory and travel farther distances.

Old 08-28-2012, 02:55 PM

65,510 posts, read 91,325,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamshot View Post
Here's the coverage pattern for WWHT FM 107.9 Syracuse (transmitting from LaFayette).

I'd imagine with the best receiver could receive SYR stations from coastal Ontario, but Ottawa is really pushing the maximum transmission distance of FM waves. AM waves, on the other hand, have more of a horizontal trajectory and travel farther distances.
Interesting.... When we would have field exercises at Fort Drum, certain areas of the base could get Hot 107.9(WWHT). We would occassionally get WBLK 93.7 from Buffalo near the barracks I was living in. You could get WPXY 97.9 from Rochester and KOOL(now BOB) 93.9 from Ottawa as well at Fort Drum.

Old 08-28-2012, 03:40 PM

24,336 posts, read 30,586,760 times
I have never received nor heard of anyone getting Syracuse stations in the Ottawa area. The only signals we get from the States are from right on the border like Ogdensburg and Massena. And even then you don't get them all the time.

Even the Montreal stations are difficult to listen to in most of the Ottawa area, and they are only two hours away and have powerful trasmitters.

Some of the Ottawa stations and even Gatineau stations in French you get fairly clearly in the Alexandria Bay-Ogdensburg-Massena areas.

Old 08-28-2012, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I have never received nor heard of anyone getting Syracuse stations in the Ottawa area. The only signals we get from the States are from right on the border like Ogdensburg and Massena. And even then you don't get them all the time.

Even the Montreal stations are difficult to listen to in most of the Ottawa area, and they are only two hours away and have powerful trasmitters.

Some of the Ottawa stations and even Gatineau stations in French you get fairly clearly in the Alexandria Bay-Ogdensburg-Massena areas.
Is Channel 15 the French speaking TV station for Ottawa? I ask because there was a French speaking TV station that we would get in the Syracuse area, but the reception was pretty fuzzy. CKWS 11 from Kingston is a Canadian TV station that a lot of Upstate NYers grew up on.

Old 08-28-2012, 06:32 PM

24,336 posts, read 30,586,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Is Channel 15 the French speaking TV station for Ottawa? I ask because there was a French speaking TV station that we would get in the Syracuse area, but the reception was pretty fuzzy. CKWS 11 from Kingston is a Canadian TV station that a lot of Upstate NYers grew up on.
The CBC French station in Ottawa was CBOFT on channel 9. Its repeaters on other channels were mostly around the Ottawa River valley on either side in Ontario and Quebec.

If you were picking up a French station around 15 it was maybe 14 which was the French CBC retransmitter for Kingston for the Toronto French CBC station, which is CBLFT.

The other French stations from the Ottawa area would all be from Gatineau:

30 - Télé-Québec
34 - V (formerly TQS)
40 - TVA

Old 08-28-2012, 11:07 PM

715 posts, read 2,284,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Interesting.... When we would have field exercises at Fort Drum, certain areas of the base could get Hot 107.9(WWHT). We would occassionally get WBLK 93.7 from Buffalo near the barracks I was living in. You could get WPXY 97.9 from Rochester and KOOL(now BOB) 93.9 from Ottawa as well at Fort Drum.
Interesting. While FM reception is generally unchanged from day to day, the best and longest-distance reception typically occurs when there is dry air at upper atmospheric levels (less noise).

On a side note, I'd actually consider WWHT's transmitter part of the Syracuse skyline -- its the massive 50k watt steel tower with a goalpost-like antenna structure at the top, south and east of the city. Its always the first thing I notice when entering Syracuse via 81 South, especially when near the mall and looking eastward.

Old 10-28-2020, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamshot View Post
Spent a little bit of time designing this shot of New York State defined by its Media Markets. Primary focus was on TV viewing and radio listening areas with some consideration given to MSAs. Hope you find it interesting and useful.
Some how I got to this old thread, but looking at the map, does Yates County get Rochester, Syracuse, Elmira and Binghamton TV stations?

I believe that Lewis County gets Watertown, Utica-Rome and Syracuse TV stations.

I know that Ithaca gets Binghamton, Elmira and Syracuse TV stations.

I believe that Chenango County gets Syracuse, Binghamton and Utica-Rome TV stations.

Are there any others that get TV stations from at least 3 media markets in the state or even from outside of the state(i.e.-VT, Canadian stations, PA, etc.)?

In terms of radio stations, this is a great source in regards to how far you can get certain radio stations: https://radio-locator.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York