Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2012, 09:10 AM

3 posts, read 10,195 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering a move to upstate ny with our 9yr. Old daughter. We are both artists so we want access to the city but we are self employed so we're not bound to a particular town. We are thinking about new paltz or fishkill. We want good schools and a good community around us. Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2012, 01:48 PM

35 posts, read 93,545 times
i think self employed artists would fit right in in new paltz!

Old 09-03-2012, 02:46 PM

434 posts, read 1,123,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ?Julian View Post
i think self employed artists would fit right in in new paltz!
Absoulutely New Paltz, no question about it!

Old 09-03-2012, 05:25 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,828,747 times
New Paltz.

Old 09-03-2012, 07:23 PM

97 posts, read 146,769 times
I would never think of Fishkill as a place for artists. I think of Fishkill as a commuter town for people who can't afford to live in Westchester. I would assume your question would be between New Paltz and Woodstock. In New Paltz you will find great schools and like minded artsy people. My answer is definitely New Paltz.

Old 09-05-2012, 08:27 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,660,723 times
Fishkill is an outerband commuter town as poster above said, for people being priced out of Westchester/Putnam. It's mostly strip malls. I'm not a fan.

I am also looking to make a move North, and my husband and I are also looking for an "artsy" community. I'm looking at New Paltz/Woodstock/Warwick. We are also both self employed so have flexibility with towns. Keep this thread updated on what you find!

Does anyone know why there are no listings for house rentals on Realtor.com for New Paltz? I know there are plenty, especially with the college, but none appear in my searches. Does one Realtor have some kind of monopoly up there??

Old 09-09-2012, 07:49 PM

97 posts, read 146,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
Fishkill is an outerband commuter town as poster above said, for people being priced out of Westchester/Putnam. It's mostly strip malls. I'm not a fan.

I am also looking to make a move North, and my husband and I are also looking for an "artsy" community. I'm looking at New Paltz/Woodstock/Warwick. We are also both self employed so have flexibility with towns. Keep this thread updated on what you find!

Does anyone know why there are no listings for house rentals on Realtor.com for New Paltz? I know there are plenty, especially with the college, but none appear in my searches. Does one Realtor have some kind of monopoly up there??
I live in New Paltz and unfortunately for families that want to live in the village most rentals go to college students. A landlord can rent each room for $500.00 plus and do better than renting to a family. They also can treat the students like shat and get away with it. Areas on the outskirts, also know as the “town outside of the village,” have few rentals. Most people only rent their homes as a last resort if they are unable to sell. New Paltz has a great reputation for those that want good schools and a diverse community so the housing market is doing better than most areas. Many people who are renting put an ad in the local paper (New Paltz Times).
I would call one of the local real estate brokers to get a lead on rentals.

Old 09-09-2012, 08:18 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,862,673 times
Why not further up the Hudson in places like Rhinebeck and Red Hook? If you want an easier commute to the city, try Huntington in LI. It has a vibrant artistic community.

Old 09-18-2012, 07:11 AM

3 posts, read 10,195 times
Thank you for the input. I only started looking a little south of New Paltz because I heard the commute to the city is horrible. Anyone have experience with that? We wouldn't be commuting on a daily basis but possibly weekly.

Old 09-18-2012, 09:41 PM

715 posts, read 2,509,197 times
My father commutes in from Montgomery (straight line distance 55 miles, northern Orange County) everyday. He takes Metro North from Beacon to Grand Central. Door to door is 110 minutes. Driving can be faster but much more costly in most instances.

Its a hell of a commute...but thousands of people from Orange County do the commute everyday.

If you need to commute in...get close to Beacon.

I wouldn't shoot down Fishkill too quickly either. I would hardly call Fishkill an "outerband commuter town." Nice little downtown area with shops and restaurants. Hudson Highlands to your south and east. Hudson River to the west. Beacon offers the art foundation Dia:Beacon. Good schools. Reasonable commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York