Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2012, 11:12 PM

15 posts, read 55,375 times

Advertisements

We have finally zeroed in on a couple of school districts and neighborhoods

• Valley Central School District - Montgomery, Maybrook
  • Goshen Central School Distric
  • Chester School District
  • Florida
Our budget is a bit small for a home and we want to keep it that way which is why we have such a large list of neighborhoods to look for homes.

We have seen a few homes (online) that are almost at the edge of a school district but the schools that are closest are in a different district. IE: Two homes in which say "Middletown" as the town one is in the Valley Central district and another is in The Goshen Central District. Would our kids go to the school district schools or the closest schools, like in NYC, which is what we are used to.

We are having a really tough time finding agents that will meet with us, call us back or even email us. I really don't know if it's our budget (200k) or our financing option (usda guaranteed) that's making it hard or that they are so busy that it would take a week to get back to us for any question I have. We do not live in the area so it is hard to just walk into a realty office and tell them what we need, we are planning to do just that next week. So it's hard to ask a professional so I'm hoping we could find help here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2012, 01:30 PM

40 posts, read 86,357 times
They will go to school in the School district that covers the address. Distance does not matter, but who you pay school taxes to does.

Old 10-02-2012, 10:35 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,814,904 times
Get hold of a school district map from the district and also go to the town hall and ask for the taxes and school taxes.

Where I live in upstate Erie County, we have 4 school districts within a 3 1/2 mile section of my road (occurring in 2 towns).

If you don't do your homework, you might find a great house but in a less than desirable district.... and it might even cost more in taxes.

Old 10-02-2012, 10:40 PM

715 posts, read 2,509,501 times
If you share the names of the roads of the houses that you are interested in I might be able to tell you the district...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
View detailed profiles of: