U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 02:06 PM

2,179 posts, read 4,657,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibbs666 View Post
I have this rivalry with these teams NY Jets own the Giants The jets will overtake NY and the Giants will be the NJ Giants. Jets Fans are the most loyal fans ever thru wins and losts... but they are ignorant. Sorry to say but in the NY the Fans are even spread.
Giants fans outnumber Jets fans...big time. I'm a Jet fan and there is no way in heck that Jet fans will ever overtake Giant fans.

LOL How are Jet fans ignorant?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2009, 12:42 PM

451 posts, read 371,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post
GO WEST!
The only football team from NY state that plays IN NYS is the Buffalo Bills!!!!! If you are from anywhere in the upstate area from central to western and are not a Bills fan, well, shame on you!

You're kidding me right?

Any Buffalo influence whether culturally or sport wise doesn't get past Syracuse.

Buffalo sports market is Western NY and only Western NY.

You tell me who roots for who:

CommonCensus Sports Map Project

Old 02-01-2009, 12:45 PM

As you can clearly see, past Syracuse, any Buffalo fanbase is basically nil.

Frankly, Bills and Sabres fans are among the most arrogant and annoying fans in sports, especially considering that they havent won a single championship.

Hopefully they move.

Old 02-01-2009, 12:49 PM

As for the Giants and Jets, Giants are definitely the most popular team of the two, whether you're in Manhattan, Poughkeepsie or Utica.

Being from Brooklyn and raised in Utica (leaving soon) ive noticed all my life that usually the way it goes is as follows for the most part:

Yanks/Giants/Rangers (5 boros and upstate, maybe not Queens tho for obvious reasons)

Mets/Jets/Islanders (LI, Queens, parts of upstate)

Old 02-05-2009, 10:09 AM

701 posts, read 2,086,087 times
No easy answers.

Overall, the Giants are a bit more popular. But it largely depends on age group (Did you come of age in the Joe Namath era, or the Phil Simms era?). Depends on geography. (Jets played in Queens for many years, giving them a Queens/LI fan base).
But merely based on season ticket waiting lists, the Giants are a bit more popular.

There is *some* overlap between Mets fans and Jets fans -- Because the Jets played at the Mets ballpark (Shea Stadium) for many years. That said, it's not a total overlap. There are Mets/Giants fans, there are Yankee/Jets fans.

Be careful when you assume that the Yankees are far more popular than the Mets. Outside of NYC, the Yankees are definitely more popular on a national level. But the city is actually pretty closely divided. Among the older generations, Dodger AND Giant fans became Mets fans. Among the 80's crowd, they grew up with the 1986 Mets. During the 80's, the Mets routinely outdrew the Yankees. As the Yankees played winning baseball in the late 90's, they greatly outdrew the Mets. As the Mets have played well the last couple of years, their attendance has again come close.
So contrary to common belief, the Yankees are not vastly more popular than the Yankees within the metro NY area.

As to the rivalry... There is a bit. Jets fans also have bitterness about having their home games at "Giants Stadium." But it does NOT compare to the Mets/Yankee fan rivalries. Mets and Yankees fans have boiling hatred against each other at times. I seldom see that between Jets and Giants fans.

Old 03-21-2009, 11:47 AM

12 posts, read 41,670 times
No doubt the Giants are more popular, but only slightly which is very impressive for Jets fans considering the Giants had a 35 year head start on the Jets (1925 vs 1960). I think the reason they're more popular is the older fan base, the 55 and up crowd that only had the Giants to root for when they first became fans. The younger football fans in the area are 50/50 Giants and Jets.

If they Jets ever win a Super Bowl I think they might overtake the Giants...

Old 03-21-2009, 02:03 PM

8 posts, read 38,444 times
Thats good to hear. When I move to Binghamton I don't want to deal with Jets fans. I can deal with the Bills cause you don't see many of their fans.

Go Fins!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York