Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 02:55 PM

261 posts, read 512,404 times

Advertisements

Ok please excuse me because I have never step foot in NY yet.
I have always thought of visiting and I will some day.
Anyway, I was just viewing some video on Youtube with this long since dead rock star with fans following him and such. Now this guy is far from clean so i doubt the neighborhood was the place to visit but what I saw around him was a vision from hell. This will be difficult to describe but bear with me....

All I saw was trash, graffiti and brick walls. Abandon mom and pop stores, strangely light Pizza and 1$ (sure it did not say it but you know it had to be) Chinese "Restaurants" with apartments up on apartments stacked on top of these abandoned stores!

And of course as the video moved on the police showed up which brought more noise into the city--as if the place could not get any louder.Did I mention that these apartments had some sort of strange debris floating around it Not a single door, just gates more so prison gates, with more debris taped onto it. And the icing on top of the cake was as this video progressed some how the locals found more trash (empty bottles of liquor) to throw into the middle of the street

Sure I laughed but then I wondered just what in the hell was this! Surely this was some sort of ghetto that was the back drop straight out of the scene from a Mad Max movie. This was unreal, I was just waiting for the ground to open up and a giant hand to rise up from the depths!
And still I doubt that would have turned heads.....

Old 10-14-2012, 02:57 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,824,973 times
If you haven't even visited for yourself then stop talking.

Old 10-14-2012, 04:29 PM

655 posts, read 2,327,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RumNCoke View Post

Ok please excuse me because I have never step foot in NY yet. I have always thought of visiting and I will some day.

I was just viewing some video on Youtube ........... a vision from hell. This will be difficult to describe but bear with me....

All I saw was trash, graffiti and brick walls. Abandon mom and pop stores, strangely light Pizza and 1$ (sure it did not say it but you know it had to be) Chinese "Restaurants" with apartments up on apartments stacked on top of these abandoned stores! Did I mention that these apartments had some sort of strange debris floating around it Not a single door, just gates more so prison gates, with more debris taped onto it. And of course as the video moved on the police showed up which brought more noise into the city--as if the place could not get any louder.

Sure I laughed but then I wondered just what in the hell was this! Surely this was some sort of ghetto that was the back drop straight out of the scene from a Mad Max movie. This was unreal, I was just waiting for the ground to open up and a giant hand to rise up from the depths!
And still I doubt that would have turned heads.....
RumNCoke,

? So you are arriving in NYC by plane tomorrow=Monday ?

If you would like responses from New York >>> CITY <<< residents, you should place your Post on the New York >>> CITY <<< forum. You placed your Post on the "General" New York >>> STATE <<< forum which is intended for all the small towns and places that don't have their own specific city forums. Try the NY City forum for their responses.

Old 10-15-2012, 09:11 AM

19,220 posts, read 17,075,134 times
And You Tube became a credible standard when? Don't believe everything you see on public media...

Old 10-15-2012, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
And You Tube became a credible standard when? Don't believe everything you see on public media...
Amen. How can people watch a single video and then become afraid of some area just based off that?

Old 10-15-2012, 08:33 PM

25 posts, read 29,432 times
sigh...

Old 10-15-2012, 09:56 PM

55 posts, read 182,591 times
I know, right? I don't get how people live in Kansas, either! I saw this video where a girl had this house fall on her, and all the people there are either singing midgets or talking trash cans! It's scary!!!!

Old 10-16-2012, 01:35 AM

261 posts, read 512,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Lobster View Post
I know, right? I don't get how people live in Kansas, either! I saw this video where a girl had this house fall on her, and all the people there are either singing midgets or talking trash cans! It's scary!!!!
Really! Daym! lol

Seriously I woudl post the video here expect it may or may not shock many people. And no im not talking about the background--which i briefly described above. Im just saying that was the first actual video I had seen first hand of the "city" and was shocked. It is kind of dated seeing as how this was (I believe) 1991 or 3. I knew this would get a few "sigh" responses but still the **** was scary man.

Old 10-16-2012, 05:50 AM

Then don't visit.

Old 10-16-2012, 06:54 AM

206 posts, read 570,574 times
OK, putting aside the "knee-jerk" replies from the good citizens of NYC.

I can't check it out at the moment since I'm "upstate" for awhile.

Since you obviously have access to the internet, how about taking a look with Google Earth Street View.

Bet you won't find such a view.

When you wish to present a narrow and biased view, it is rather easy to do so with a camera by focusing on what you wish to be your agenda and enhancing those areas.

In your case, I would most definitely not visit NYC.

The people would sense your fear and .......................................

Just like in the movies
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York