Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2012, 09:10 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,623,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
While the govt gets its taxes one way or another, some states have populations that are more government dependent than others. Therefore, taxes paid per person will be higher. While I don't think NY is the highest state, its probably pretty high in the ranks. Here is a good tax site, and basically it shows you when you are done paying taxes for the year, if you paid them upfront:

Tax Freedom Day ® | Tax Foundation

NY is tied with NJ at 49th place. Only CT is worse. You get done paying your taxes on May 1st. That's almost half the year. By comparison, you finish paying taxes on April 3rd in SC, almost a month earlier. I don't know about you, but that is a significant difference to me.

And seriously, people have to stop equating the tax on personal property (car tax) with property taxes in northeastern states. The comparison is not even close to being equal. Car taxes are a few hundred dollars UNLESS you own a really expensive car, in which case you probably can afford it. For the average 5-10 year old car, its not much. Property taxes in NY can easily be more than the mortgage, and can easily be $500 a month. Here in NJ, $1000 a month in property taxes is not uncommon.
Ummm ok but this post has nothing to do with the one you commented on. Not everyone gets done paying their taxes on May 1st. Many people are before that and some are after that. Also people don't live like that. I don't sit here and think wow we've worked all these months and haven't made a dime.

I wasn't equating personal property taxes with real property taxes. I was equating personal property taxes with the difference in the price of gas between NY and SC. When I'm in NC, the gas is much higher than SC and not much lower than NY. NC also has personal property taxes.

And not every state are the personal property taxes a couple hundred dollars. I own a 2010 Dodge Journey which cost about $26K which by no means is an expensive vehicle. My taxes are about $300 a year living in the county. If I lived in the city which was literally a few hundred yards up the roads, my taxes would have been over $750 on the same vehicle. The city taxes you as well as the county in SC. Now remember, I have 2 cars so I'm paying quite a bit in personal property taxes. That does all add up. And in some places when you add the personal property taxes to the real property taxes, it's not much different than places in NY.

And I won't go into the cost of groceries! Let's just say I'm saying a lot of money at WalMart, Wegman's, and farms up here over Kroger and WalMart in SC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2012, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
Just so we are all on the same page here, twice in this thread alone, Federal spending has been lumped together as "welfare".

So are we now ofishally lumping grandma getting a SS check in Florida with some ghetto rat in Syracuse spitting out 6 kids for an EBT card as all being on welfare??

Cause I don't think thats very fair. I for example consider SS to be a worthless system and consider anyone who relies on it to be a full on retard. But I have to pay into the stupid crap every week. I do not need that crap to retire but they will send me a check anyway, which I will give to a shelter for dogs. I will not be considered a "welfare" scab no matter how bad the libs want it to be.

You can't force someone to take something and then count it against them.
Welfare and Social Security aren't the same thing. Workers pay into Social Security. Workers pay federal taxes which fund numerous welfare programs. Some people consider everything that the government has a hand in as a welfare program. So where do we draw the line? Our entire education system is run and funded by the state and federal government. There are people out there which consider our education system a welfare handout. So are we supposed to send all of our kids to private schools? I know very few people who could afford that.

And Sean, calling people who use Social Security as their only source of income a "retard" is not right nor is it fair. I certainly do NOT appreciate you calling my 82 year grandmother who has to be on oxygen 24 hours a day and can barely walk who worked her entire life and earned a living while raising 5 children a retard. She is far from a retard and would love to smack your face off for saying she is. Between her and my grandfather, who was an electrician at RPI, they never made over $20K a year. So what else is she supposed do? Of course, she has to rely on Social Security. Both of them paid into the system for decades so why shouldn't they collect it? Instead she should be on the streets, homeless, penniless, and starving? Nice way to treat old people. I hope you never make it to 82 and are treated that way. Show some respect for the elderly.

Old 10-24-2012, 09:24 AM

2,909 posts, read 4,271,079 times
Coperate welfare is the favorite whipping boy of you lefties thats for sure.

I'm against the government being involved in about 99.9999% of everything it is so it would be hard to pin me down.

Lets say an oil company gets a 100 million tax break. Now lets say they paid 1 billion in taxes. Thats a net of 900 million paid in. Is paying 900 million dollars in taxes in considered "welfare"??

On something like SU it gets even harder. SU pays no taxes but uses a ton of services. So on the surface it looks like SU is pure welfare. BUt wait there's more................ The people who work at SU are taxed. So buy extension SU does in fact pay taxes second hand through its employees.

So it gets super hard to read. In the first example its pretty clear, a net gain of 900 million in tax revenue. In the SU example it gets harder. Much like the OIN although taxing SU would be a wave of a pen and getting OIN would be extremely difficult. OIN pays no taxes but its employees do. I'm not in love with them but I would have to say they are a net benefit to the area. Destiny is another example of welfare, I'll actually be stunned if that one can ever be a benefit.

If a case can be made that SU, OIN and Destiny are beneficial to an area the same logic would apply to a Toyota or Kia plant.

Then you get into the "bad" welfare like HUD and Foodstamps. The face of HUD is the welfare trash occupying the downtown of most of NY. But behind that is the slumlords, mostly Downstate, and the banks that hold the note. Lot of that HUD money is going to people in suits and not just scums wearing pajamas and UGH boots. Same with foodies and ADM and on and on and on.

Just get the government out of things.

Old 10-24-2012, 09:32 AM

At no point, from day one, was SS ever intended to be anyone's sole source of retirement.

The people paying at the start are long dead so not important.

Life is full of choices. Not everyone makes the right ones. Why should I have to pay?? Not to be mean but frankly I couldn't care less about your family. I have one of my own to take care and people stealing my money makes it harder for me to tend to my own.

An example of poor life choices?? Your GF worked at a school. Free classes was most likely included. Because he chose to have a beer and watch the game my money gets stolen??

Old 10-24-2012, 09:40 AM

Quote:
At no point, from day one, was SS ever intended to be anyone's sole source of retirement.

The people paying at the start are long dead so not important.

Life is full of choices. Not everyone makes the right ones. Why should I have to pay?? Not to be mean but frankly I couldn't care less about your family. I have one of my own to take care and people stealing my money makes it harder for me to tend to my own.

An example of poor life choices?? Your GF worked at a school. Free classes was most likely included. Because he chose to have a beer and watch the game my money gets stolen??
You are certainly a cold, heartless person. I sincerely hope your family never has you running their care when they're old. In some ways I pity you. In others...well.....never mind...

Whether or not Social Security was ever intended to one's sole source of income doesn't matter because for many elderly people it IS their only source of income. Whether or not you like it, it is. You can't make 80 year olds who are on oxygen and can't walk work so what else would you suggest they do? My grandparents didn't even finish high school My grandfather grew up on a farm and joined the military. He was severely injured while in the army and left with brain damage. Your welcome for his service so you can enjoy the freedoms and opportunities this country offers you. If it's so horrible, there are over 200 other countries you could try out and see what life is like. And no we won't leave the light on or the doors open for you.

No idea what you're talking about someone working at a school and someone having a beer and your money is stolen. You're not making any sense. Nothing new there though.

Old 10-24-2012, 09:54 AM

Every person I have ever known that worked at a college was offered free tuition. Your Grandfather was handed a meal ticket and turned his back.

Its not just old people who were stupid. I see it everyday. New cars, fancy houses, trips to the mall for over priced clothes. Or living in a trailer making pocket change and having kids. Many of the people making those choices are the ones who in 20-30 years are gonna be crying the blues and begging the government for more.

And my family doesn't need your pity because they all worked hard, lived cheaply and earned a nice pension and enjoyed the twilight years of there lives. They (and I) don't want your pity or your phoney compassion. We'll make our choices, you make yours, but the deal is neither side can come crying to the other one if it don't work out.

Old 10-24-2012, 10:01 AM

Holy crap, she is such a good hijacker she hijacked me!!!! <<<Head hanging low I hand the belt over>>>

Anyhoo, while I am opposed to SS, it is at least for now NOT welfare.

But all the links in the thread are counting SS as welfare.

For example the first one, IIRC by CK, showed welfare to be evenly distributed on the basic map. Showing say Pasco County Florida to be the equal of say Onondaga County NY. But once you peel off the layers of SS and medicare and leave just foodstamps and other bad welfare it changes the map considerably.

So my point was if you consider SS to be welfare NY is about on par but if SS is not welfare NY is really bad.

Old 10-24-2012, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Every person I have ever known that worked at a college was offered free tuition. Your Grandfather was handed a meal ticket and turned his back.

Its not just old people who were stupid. I see it everyday. New cars, fancy houses, trips to the mall for over priced clothes. Or living in a trailer making pocket change and having kids. Many of the people making those choices are the ones who in 20-30 years are gonna be crying the blues and begging the government for more.

And my family doesn't need your pity because they all worked hard, lived cheaply and earned a nice pension and enjoyed the twilight years of there lives. They (and I) don't want your pity or your phoney compassion. We'll make our choices, you make yours, but the deal is neither side can come crying to the other one if it don't work out.
Actually, my grandfather wasn't offered free tuition at RPI. His employment level wasn't high enough. He also didn't finish high school and would never have been allowed into RPI classes without the prerequisites. You're also forgetting he had brain damage from a plate from a tank. He had a steel plate in his head and was partially disabled, but still worked until he was physically unable to. Why don't you go give the folks who are physically able to work, but instead are sitting home eating Doritos watching Maury to see who the daddy is a hard time instead?

I pity your family for your crappy attitude about the world and people around you. And it's not phony. Unlike you, I actually do give a crap about mankind and those around me.

Old 10-24-2012, 10:05 AM

3,058 posts, read 3,824,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I'd say that the difference is that Illinois cities outside of Chicago are much smaller than the major Upstate areas. Rockford is the biggest city outside of the Chicagoland area and isn't much bigger than Syracuse, but is a relatively much smaller metro. After Springfield and Peoria, there aren't any cities with over 100,000 people and those two aren't over by much. If you combine Champaign and Urbana, where the U of Illinois is located, that would be a city with over 100k. Perhaps the same would occur with Bloomington and Normal, which is where Illinois State and Illinois Wesleyan are located. There's the conglomerate of suburbs/cities on the Illinois side of the St. Louis metro too. That's pretty much it though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie75 View Post
Oh please, the cities in Illinois are way, way smaller than the cities in NY, and our cities have more name recognition. Buffalo has it's own professional sports teams(and Niagara Falls for an added bonus) and every time a person goes to a restaurant or grocery store and sees a product labeled "Buffalo"(Buffalo wings. Buffalo Chicken, Spicy Buffalo Ranch etc) that is putting "Buffalo" out there. Many of the NYS cities have metros over 1 million, Illinois' are smaller.
Aggie75, chill out a bit....I said its the closest to NYS. I never said its a photocopy. St. Louis also has a professional sports team, and its clear on the other side of the state from Chicago. And before you lecture me, I am well aware that St. Louis is on the other side of the river.

Old 10-24-2012, 10:07 AM

That you are full of compassion with other peoples money has been duly noted.

You have no idea how I treat other people with my own time and money.

Your just upset because I don't think stealing peoples money and giving it away makes me a better person.

I'll be judged one day but it won't be by you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York