U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 03:53 PM

8,655 posts, read 10,088,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Syracuse doesn't have a beltway, but I-481 is half of a beltway. We do have areas outside of city limits where the zip code says "Syracuse". So, if Syracuse was in the South its city limits would include those zip codes that say Syracuse, but are outside of city limits. I believe that it would be a city of around 180-200,000. Other Upstate NY cities are like this. For instance, places like Brighton and Irondequoit would have been annexed into the city of Rochester decades ago, given their walkable character in many parts of those towns. Rochester would be a city of around 290-300,000 if those two towns were annexed and there are other areas not within the city limits, but use Rochester in the zip code. Rochester and Richmond are very similar in city and metro population too. This is also why when comparing Northeastern cities with Southern cities, I mention the aspect of annexation and planning.
That is it, the new southern cities end up running the entire county so how many municipalities are in Onandaga County that would be considered Syracuse? Ironically the city proper remains about the same but the administrative area is what expands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2012, 04:48 PM

59,693 posts, read 84,569,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
That is it, the new southern cities end up running the entire county so how many municipalities are in Onandaga County that would be conforsidered Syracuse? Ironically the city proper remains about the same but the administrative area is what expands.
When I was at Ft. Gordon GA, Augusta and Richmond County were one governing entity and that occurred in the 1990's.

As for Syracuse, U think of zip codes in the western suburbs like 13215, 13209 and 13219 that use Syracuse. 13211 uses Syracuse, but uses Mattydale as well. Parts of 13224, 13206, 13208 and 13205 go over city limits a little bit, while 13214(DeWitt) go into city a little bit. Just to put things into perspective, Syracuse is only 25-26 square miles with about 145,000 people; Richmond is 60 square miles with about 205,000 people. So, I'm assuming that if Syracuse was the land size of Richmond, they would be pretty close in population. I know that if the adjacent towns to Syracuse were all annexed the population would be about 245,000 or so, which is 25,000 over its peak population.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 11-23-2012 at 04:58 PM..

Old 11-24-2012, 05:02 PM

23,854 posts, read 24,968,773 times
There are probably pretty uneven stats for growth, decline, and stagnation for different counties/municipalities.

Old 11-25-2012, 10:49 AM

1,884 posts, read 1,480,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
There are probably pretty uneven stats for growth, decline, and stagnation for different counties/municipalities.
True. While many upstate metros have been steadily gaining population, Buffalo metro steadily declined. For some reason the media always focuses on Buffalo, and not the entire story. Of course it didn't help that the cities themselves declined as well, allowing the media to say that "all of the upstate cities are losing population." (while the total metros grow). Fortunately even the city populations have stopped shrinking.

Here's some population estimates for all the metros- 2010-2012:

Albany +4000
Buffalo -4000
Rochester+3000
Syracuse +1200

Provo in the fastest-growing metro in population rankings - The Business Journals

Old 11-27-2012, 11:08 PM

12,304 posts, read 11,211,860 times
Quote:
When I was at Ft. Gordon GA, Augusta and Richmond County were one governing entity and that occurred in the 1990's.
OMG! I lived near there when I lived in SC. Augusta and Richmond County aren't one governing entity anymore. Richmond County has a lot of pull though. Augusta has some serious governmental issues.

I've been watching consolidation being studied locally. Seneca Falls and Waterloo schools are considering it. Romulus and South Seneca are also considering it. It's being researched by all of them. Of course, a few things right out of the box that parents are complaining about is they don't want their kids to lose their sports programs and their identity nor do they want their kids bused to other schools. But they all want cheaper taxes! Go figure. All the schools have had a significant decrease in enrollment and none are large schools. I believe the most populated school has around 1800 students for all 13 grades. Sounds like consolidation is definitely in order.

Old 11-28-2012, 06:39 AM

59,693 posts, read 84,569,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
OMG! I lived near there when I lived in SC. Augusta and Richmond County aren't one governing entity anymore. Richmond County has a lot of pull though. Augusta has some serious governmental issues.

I've been watching consolidation being studied locally. Seneca Falls and Waterloo schools are considering it. Romulus and South Seneca are also considering it. It's being researched by all of them. Of course, a few things right out of the box that parents are complaining about is they don't want their kids to lose their sports programs and their identity nor do they want their kids bused to other schools. But they all want cheaper taxes! Go figure. All the schools have had a significant decrease in enrollment and none are large schools. I believe the most populated school has around 1800 students for all 13 grades. Sounds like consolidation is definitely in order.
To be honest, a county like Seneca County should probably be a county wide school district. That way they can at least decrease costs at the top administrative level while keeping the schools as they are, with consolidation of schools possible in the future. You see it there to some degree already as South Seneca and Romulus share a football program. Other schools have done this or currently do this for Football as well.

Old 11-28-2012, 10:08 AM

12,304 posts, read 11,211,860 times
Quote:
To be honest, a county like Seneca County should probably be a county wide school district. That way they can at least decrease costs at the top administrative level while keeping the schools as they are, with consolidation of schools possible in the future. You see it there to some degree already as South Seneca and Romulus share a football program. Other schools have done this or currently do this for Football as well.
The shared football program was something a STUDENT pointed out to the parents! I went to a small school and there were 2 other small schools nearby - each with about 100 kids per class. Even in junior high I thought it was dumb. I wondered why we weren't all in one school. The town next to me is the largest in the area with over 10,000 kids so I always thought we were stupid for having tiny schools and programs. Now, 20 years later, schools are FINALLY talking about merging. Enrollment is dwindling and they can't have electives because there's no $$$$$$.

ETA: There was a study done earlier to see about making a county school system and it wouldn't have saved enough money to be worth it somehow. I don't see how having one superintendent instead of 5 or however many won't save money. Fewer principles and administrative staff would also save $$$$$. There were complaints about busing the kids. Ummmm they are already on buses! So if they have to go a little further, they'll survive. Or parents could drive their kids to school if they're so unhappy with the school bus service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or