Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2012, 09:21 AM

32 posts, read 58,562 times

Advertisements

I am moving to New York next year with my wife and two children. Both children will be in elementary school by the time we move. We are trying to find the best combination of easy commute and family friendly that we can because there is no way we want to live in the city at this point. I know this is a common topic in these forums, but I have yet to find one catered to our specific situation:

Annual salary: 160,000
Job location: Times Square (my wife does not work so do not need to factor her in to commuting)
Home preference: something with 3-4 bedrooms and a yard of some kind; needs to be near great schools
Preferred rent: 2500-3000 (we do not have any idea what is "normal" in the area, but we are paying down substantial student loan debt from law school)
Commute time: hopefully under an hour, as job will include incredibly long hours quite frequently.

Thanks for your input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2012, 01:21 PM

626 posts, read 902,860 times
NYC has 5 boroughs. What do you mean by NYC suburbs? Are you referring to one of the 5 boroughs? Are you referring to outside of the city such as Long Island or Westchester? Did you do any other research and have a general idea of where you'd want to live. Some people live in CT and commute to Manhattan. Give us more to go on.

Old 10-19-2012, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistym View Post
NYC has 5 boroughs. What do you mean by NYC suburbs? Are you referring to one of the 5 boroughs? Are you referring to outside of the city such as Long Island or Westchester? Did you do any other research and have a general idea of where you'd want to live. Some people live in CT and commute to Manhattan. Give us more to go on.
Sorry if I wasn't clear enough, I think I was pretty specific as to what we are looking for. Don't want to recite them again, but I guess the "less than one hour" requirement would rule out Connecticut. (Again, as someone who has never lived in NY I can't even say that with authority.) As NYC has 5 boroughs I meant something outside of NYC that is a little more suburban, so I guess I mean outside of the 5 boroughs of NYC.

We have looked at Long Island, Westchester and New Jersey. Clearly we could find something in any of those locations. Given the number of choices though it is really hard to know where to begin to look. We are worried about finding a good house with a good commute but accidentally ending up in a lousy school. We of course are doing research but I was hoping that this thread could give me more ideas rather than just more details about places we have already looked at. (We have plenty of time to look at details after we have a solid list of 10-20 places we could consider.) I know that sounds like a lot of places to consider, but we have no idea what the area is like. Thanks for the help!

Old 10-19-2012, 11:42 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,074,907 times
You absolutely cannot rule out CT, there are quite a few towns within a short commute (under 45 minute) to Midtown Manhattan.

Most of the suburbs of NJ, LI, CT, and Westchester have good schools.

If only your husband works, I would vote for LI as the best of the places to live.
Look into Rockville Centre, Lynbrook, Garden City, Manhasset, Great Neck, Port Washington.

By those places I mean not just the postal code names, but anywhere that falls into those school districts.
Nothing matters in NY in your address except the school district it is tied to. Zip code nor city name can determine that, you always must ask what schools.

Old 10-20-2012, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
You absolutely cannot rule out CT, there are quite a few towns within a short commute (under 45 minute) to Midtown Manhattan.

Most of the suburbs of NJ, LI, CT, and Westchester have good schools.

If only your husband works, I would vote for LI as the best of the places to live.
Look into Rockville Centre, Lynbrook, Garden City, Manhasset, Great Neck, Port Washington.

By those places I mean not just the postal code names, but anywhere that falls into those school districts.
Nothing matters in NY in your address except the school district it is tied to. Zip code nor city name can determine that, you always must ask what schools.
Thanks! I did not realize how close CT was. A couple of those places I have never heard of, so I'll add them to my list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York