Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2007, 02:06 PM

17 posts, read 76,321 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I'm finally making the move from South Florida to Oswego. Call me crazy, but it's looking like January for the big move. I'm heading up that way next week and any suggestions on areas to check out would be much appreciated. I have a daughter in high school and my son will be starting kindergarten next year. We have family in Hannibal, Minetto and Oswego so I am interested in staying around that area. I am a native Floridian so any tips on dealing with the upcoming winter months would be greatly appreciated. I am a legal secretary and have been told that I will probably have to make the drive to Syracuse every day for work. That is the only thing about the move that worries me, but I know that I will get used to the drive. With my husband already up there working, I'm hoping that I can put off job hunting until after the snow subsides. Wish me luck and again, any suggestions or advice would be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2007, 04:47 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,266,159 times
You may have to do some clothes shopping when you get here and find someone to plow if you buy a house. All of the surrounding areas are nice so it's more a matter of the particular house you may want. Hannibal has it's own school system. Minetto has it's own elementary school but for JHS and HS they go to Oswego, which has excellent schools.

If I were you I'd drop my resume by every law office in Oswego and Fulton. You do once in a while see local ads for legal secretaries though.

Old 10-11-2007, 07:44 PM

17 posts, read 76,321 times
Thanks for the input. I was hoping you'd give me some tips as I know that you're in the area. I think I'll bring some resumes with me when I come next week. Can't hurt. I'm just praying for a late winter so we can get the moving truck there with no problems since we will be doing the driving and unloading. I'm having nightmares already thinking about unloading everything I own in the snow and ice. Wish me luck!!! I'll soon be your neighbor.

Old 10-12-2007, 08:53 AM

3,360 posts, read 12,266,159 times
Don't worry, it may be cooling down as of this week but the leaves are turning and are beautiful. We probably won't have much in the way of snow till the week before Xmas.

Old 10-20-2007, 07:17 PM

17 posts, read 95,976 times
Yeah I am currently back for my third year of college here and it is looking rather nice. Just like Sgoldie said, you might want to bring some warm clothes and shovels because the snow can be brutal. GREAT place however.

Old 11-15-2007, 09:29 AM

1 posts, read 3,682 times
I grew up in Fair Haven, and recommend it highly for raising kids. It has the beach, the Ren Faire, a nature center, and a real community feeling. I found very trustworthy, inexpensive before and after school childcare, too. Red Creek (the school district) just announced that it had the highest SAT scores in the region. I drove to SU for my job for years... February is a little tough, but you get used to it! I used the drive to listen to books on tape :-)
My family house is for sale there, and I'm very sad to be leaving (jobs took us to the Northern part of NY).
Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York