Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2012, 04:12 PM

23 posts, read 119,829 times

Advertisements

Hello! My husband and will be will relocating in the next few months for my husband's job at the IBM facility at the Hudson Valley Research Park in Dutchess County, NY. We would like to purchase a home within a 30 minute commute for him and are considering Orange County, upper Westchester County, and possibly Danbury CT. We decided that northern NJ was just too far of a commute and Dutchess County was too isolating. We would like to live in a decent family friendly community with lots of resources and activities for our 1 year old son. We would also like to live near a vibrant jewish community. Any recommendations for towns/cities would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2012, 06:41 AM

715 posts, read 2,508,493 times
The most active Jewish Community in the region is Kiryas Joel, in southern Orange County.

Good Orange County locations with ~30 minute commute: Monroe, Woodbury, Central Valley, Cornwall, New Windsor, Vails Gate, Town of Newburgh, Montgomery

You won't want to go too far into Westchester or that commute will get pretty long. Perhaps Peekskill, at the northern tip of the county, would work.

Danbury is a neat city but the commute would be a little long.

I also wouldn't toss Dutchess County out of the equation either; it isn't really "isolated." Towns like Fishkill, Wappingers, and Beacon are appealing options.

Let me know if you need any particulars about a location!

Old 12-20-2012, 01:10 PM

1 posts, read 3,159 times
Default Relocation to Hudson Valley

check out MLS #529139
close to Jewish communities
close to cultural activities
easy commute to IBM

Old 12-29-2012, 06:18 PM

23 posts, read 119,829 times
Thank you for your reply Dreamshot. We are not orthodox by any means but rather just reform jews and want to have some jewish presence in the towns. I saw that the JCC is located in Newburgh but wasn't sure what the other towns in Orange County. We are considering Highland Mills, Monroe, and would welcome any additional suggestions for towns within the Monroe Woodbury School District. Homes in Woodbury itself were too expensive. We would like to be within the $400-500 price range and under $12k in taxes. Also, I was wondering if you knew the difference between the three elementary schools in the Monroe Woodbury School District - is one better than another? Thanks again.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:14 AM

715 posts, read 2,508,493 times
Here's the geographical region covered by the Monroe-Woodbury SD:

Beyond what you are currently looking at, I suppose you could give Central Valley a look. You should be able to find something in the 400-500k price range. I don't know much about Monroe Woodbury's elementary schools, but I can't imagine one being significantly better than another. I'm sure they are all good.

Not a large Jewish presence in the county - so the JCC in Newburgh and anything in Kiryas Joel (orthdox) is probably it for Jewish services. Larger (reform) Jewish population in Rockland and Westchester Counties.

Anything else? Let me know!

Old 12-31-2012, 08:27 AM

1,618 posts, read 2,623,395 times
You really should write off the Wappingers and Poughkeepsie (town, not city) areas. You're going to get a much better house for the money and anything on the main drag of Route 9 is not going to feel isolated at all. Plus both Wappingers Falls and Fishkill have wonderful walk-through business districts that are great places to spend time in spring and fall.

Old 01-01-2013, 06:52 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,644,313 times
Used to be the development known as Little Switzerland off Rt.82 in Hopewell Junction mostly had ties to the Jewish Community-many were Dr's and Lawyers in the neighborhood. Still quite a few up there. It's not far from the Research Park and from Hopewell Shopping. The JCC in Dutchess is off Grand Ave-about a 20 min drive from Hopewell-going the back way on 376. Lots of stuff going on there, we used to go up for soccer(rented it to our soccer team) and then I have friends enrolled there for swimming and other activities. Check it out-http://www.jccdc.org/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York