Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 10:28 PM

93,193 posts, read 123,783,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
A job in cartography or GIS because I have a skill in cartography. A laboratory job would work too because I have some knowledge of water quality assessment. My big problem is that even though I have a college degree, I have no reputable work experience using my skills outside of an internship. Any work experience i have has nothing to do with my skill set(outside of my internship).
This information may help: GIS Job Postings | NYS GIS Association

Laboratory Analyst - Rochester, NY 14608 - Indeed Mobile

Chemistry Technician - Ithaca, NY 14882 - Indeed Mobile

Crime Research Analyst - Buffalo, NY - Indeed Mobile

Media Analyst - Clifton Park, NY - Indeed Mobile

OMS Anayst/Smallworld GIS Modeler -
Syracuse, NY 13201 - Indeed Mobile

[url=http://www.indeed.com/m/viewjob?jk=7cba083f4b085b34&from=serp]Systems Analyst - Albany, NY - Indeed Mobile[/
url]

Research Aide IV - Ithaca, NY - Indeed Mobile

Lab Technician - Vernon, NY 13476 - Indeed Mobile

Product Test Technician- Softlines - Buffalo, NY - Indeed Mobile

Lab Tech I - Hudson, NY - Indeed Mobile

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 01-14-2013 at 11:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2013, 03:50 AM

78 posts, read 83,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
NYC isn't a "drain" on Upstate; but rather they simply have very conflicting interests. There are policies in place that create taxes and regulations that in a huge and dense city like NYC; are understandable and even necessary. However, they adversely effect the Upstate region. NYC area residents vote in NYC area politicians to hold state offices with Upstate getting little recognition. This also adversely effects Upstate.
The latest example of downstate politicians imposing their will on the rest of the state:
http://buffalonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll...130119564/1109

Old 01-15-2013, 06:08 AM

341 posts, read 683,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnoughIsEnough View Post
The latest example of downstate politicians imposing their will on the rest of the state:
State poised to toughen firearms restrictions as Senate OKs bill - City & Region - The Buffalo News
I suppose you missed the shooting in Webster?

Old 01-15-2013, 06:14 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,075,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnoughIsEnough View Post
State poised to toughen firearms restrictions as Senate OKs bill - City & Region - The Buffalo News
You have got to be kidding me....

If you have seen any of the national news you would realise that the entire country is addressing this issue not just NY. I won't go into my feelings as this topic is not about that but realise that upstate should have more state reps than downstate that could stop any such measures..think they have the kahunas to take your position on this issue???

I doubt it..

Old 01-15-2013, 10:15 AM

1,199 posts, read 2,868,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
You have got to be kidding me....

If you have seen any of the national news you would realise that the entire country is addressing this issue not just NY. I won't go into my feelings as this topic is not about that but realise that upstate should have more state reps than downstate that could stop any such measures..think they have the kahunas to take your position on this issue???

I doubt it..
Sure the whole country is addressing it, but Cuomo had to be the first because his liberal supporters downstate just eat this kind of stuff up. An upstate controled legislature would have more carefully considered any legislation instead of agreeing to jam it through.

Old 01-15-2013, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Port North View Post
Sure the whole country is addressing it, but Cuomo had to be the first because his liberal supporters downstate just eat this kind of stuff up. An upstate controled legislature would have more carefully considered any legislation instead of agreeing to jam it through.
Why should the legislature being controlled by a minority of the population? Downstate consists of over 64% of the population of NYS in the NYC metro area alone.

So, tell me: Why should a minority direct the course of the state?

Old 01-15-2013, 12:17 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,868,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheITGuy View Post
Why should the legislature being controlled by a minority of the population? Downstate consists of over 64% of the population of NYS in the NYC metro area alone.

So, tell me: Why should a minority direct the course of the state?
You are right, that is why it should be split into two states.

By the way I was a liberal when I lived upstate, however after 13 years of living down here and seeing how things operate, it has turned me in the "right" direction.

Old 01-15-2013, 12:17 PM

5,679 posts, read 4,081,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingElsewhere View Post
Speaking of consolidation, have you ever thought of maybe more interconnection between Buffalo and Rochester? I thought of this when I was visiting CO a few weeks ago and realized how interconnected Denver and Boulder are, even though they're usually considered separate metros. I know Buffalo and Rochester are about 1.5 hours apart, as opposed to Denver and Boulder only being 45 min apart. But perhaps more development between the cities would promote the needed growth and a stronger economy for the region. Thoughts?
Colaboration between these cities could have nothing but positive results. As for the rail connection. It currently exists. It's just that no one has ever tried, other than the Amtrack that goes through once per day. Removing the toll on the thruway would help also. 20,000 per day currently commute between Buffalo and Rochester each way.

Old 01-15-2013, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Port North View Post
You are right, that is why it should be split into two states.

By the way I was a liberal when I lived upstate, however after 13 years of living down here and seeing how things operate, it has turned me in the "right" direction.
If NYS were to split, West New York would be destitute within a generation, and East New York would still be the center of the global economy.

NYC pays more in taxes than it gets. At near a 1.5:1 ratio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York