Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 11:26 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,757,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheITGuy View Post
You said:

And, I was pointing out you were, in fact, incorrect. Yes, we have a republic, that protects the rights of minorities, and also makes the role of our government to execute the will of the majority at the same time.
Quite often, the will of the majority is to infringe upon rights guaranteed by the republic. That infringement should not be carried out, according to the constitution of the republic.

It has been and is, unfortunately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2013, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Yes, thank you. Thank for being yet another mindless pumpkin seed in our intellectually drained society of hatred and blame.
It's called suspicion. It keeps us alive.

I have little fear of a man hurting my children. I would have great suspicion if that man was exhibiting behaviors that lead me to believe he would hurt them if he had the opportunity. And so, I would keep my children away from him and advise others of the possible threat as well.

I have little fear of a man with a gun hurting me. I would have great suspicion if that man was exhibiting behaviors that lead me to believe he would hurt me if he had the opportunity. And so, I would stay away from him and advise others of the possible threat as well.

Old 01-21-2013, 01:05 PM

341 posts, read 683,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
Quite often, the will of the majority is to infringe upon rights guaranteed by the republic. That infringement should not be carried out, according to the constitution of the republic.

It has been and is, unfortunately.
I think I said that. I will again:

The role of our government is to execute the will of the majority, while protecting the rights of minorities.

Old 01-21-2013, 02:38 PM

Quote:
I think I said that. I will again:

The role of our government is to execute the will of the majority, while protecting the rights of minorities.
But executing the will of the majority is not the government's purpose.

This is all assuming that by "government" we mean the federal government. That is what is in charge now, however disordered that is. There are a number of state governments realizing that they are *supposed to be* flexing their muscles and keeping the federal government in check. New York is not of them.

Old 01-22-2013, 08:14 AM

Quote:
But executing the will of the majority is not the government's purpose.
Yes it is, through our representatives, who are supposed to execute the will of the people.

Quote:
This is all assuming that by "government" we mean the federal government. That is what is in charge now, however disordered that is. There are a number of state governments realizing that they are *supposed to be* flexing their muscles and keeping the federal government in check. New York is not of them.
By government, I mean Federal down to city. It's how our system of government works in the US. The role of the states is NOT to keep the federal government "in check", but to manage matters at a lower level.

Old 01-22-2013, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Yes it is, through our representatives, who are supposed to execute the will of the people.

By government, I mean Federal down to city. It's how our system of government works in the US. The role of the states is NOT to keep the federal government "in check", but to manage matters at a lower level.
That is the crux of our disagreement.

Old 01-22-2013, 10:48 AM

Quote:
That is the crux of our disagreement.
Then, you disagree with how our founders designed our government. I'm sorry.

Old 01-22-2013, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Then, you disagree with how our founders designed our government. I'm sorry.
Our founders had a contentious time of deciding the design of our government. They continued to shape its development over the next several decades, sometimes in direct opposition to each other.

I believe that a small, limited and efficient federal government is best and that the united states should operate within themselves, uniting only for what they agree to unite upon... including defense of those united states. I agree with many of the founding fathers on this issue.

And you agree with some of the others.

It's up to interpretation.

Old 01-24-2013, 02:24 PM

ONLY handguns were used at Sandy Hook.

Yeah- we knew that... we watched the police remove the rifle they'd said had been used from the trunk, live on camera.

So now what of the new gun control legislation? Nothing.

Investigation is 'very complex' - Video on TODAY.com

Old 02-19-2013, 05:57 AM

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government -- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." ~Patrick Henry
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York