U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 02-06-2013, 06:45 AM
 
486 posts, read 658,194 times
Reputation: 1060

Advertisements

I have been contributing to a thread under the Syracuse section, and I came across this May 2012 report on New York State property taxes. It was compiled by the "Empire Center."

Here is the link:

The Empire Center for New York State Policy

Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on:

The Empire Center's property tax rankings report can be downloaded here.

The full pdf report will open and you can peruse the report which lists the “Top 20” and “Bottom 20” property tax rates in every region of the state (Except NYC and Nassau County), along with a ranking of the property tax rates in various cities.

Wow. What an eye opener, at least for me. Property taxes in New York State leave a bad taste in my mouth, as my own property taxes go up every year and are now becoming unbearable on my limited income. For living in a shoebox in the Town of Sullivan, Madison County (1,180 sq ft, 2 small bedrooms, one bath, no garage, stone driveway on .28 acres, no garbage pickup, no street lights) I get the pleasure of paying in 2013 -- $3957.74 in total property taxes (3.8% of my home's assessed value, 38.43 rate per 1000).

Insane. I am sorry, I WILL NOT sugar coat that property taxes in NYS are insanely high.

The report quotes:

As reflected in the Empire Center rankings, New York’s highest effective property tax rates are imposed in cities and rural areas with low property values, while the lowest effective rates are found in resort communities and wealthy areas with very high property values.

So basically, people who live in cities and rural communities that cannot afford expensive homes, have to pay more in property taxes on their low valued homes than people who can afford to live in more affluent areas with more expensive homes. Yup, makes sense. Of course I understand, sales taxes in resort areas offset property taxes, but is it still "fair" that rural/poor city property tax owners must pay more (in a few cases much, much more) than their wealthy NYS property tax owners that can afford a $600,000 home?

The most extreme example from the report:

Westchester County, NY, Bronxville - Median Home Value $600,000 - Tax Rate $6.74 - Median Tax $4,044
Oswego County, NY, Fulton - Median Home Value $95,000 - Tax Rate $51.15 - Median Tax $4,859


Wow, a home in Bronxville worth 6 times more than a home in Fulton pays $800 less a year in property taxes.

Are any of you "happy" with your property taxes? Think it is fair? Just curious as in my local area, if you speak about the insanity of property taxes people look at you like you have 3 heads. It's weird. Go figure (probably because many people work for the government and they know which side of their bread is buttered).
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-06-2013, 08:42 AM
 
52,631 posts, read 75,451,274 times
Reputation: 11627
While a little bit old, you may find this list interesting. It doesn't have every county in the country though: Table: Who Pays America's Highest Property Taxes? - Forbes.com

Tax Foundation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Center on Budget and Policy Priorities - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 02-06-2013 at 08:51 AM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2013, 09:56 AM
 
2,470 posts, read 2,491,639 times
Reputation: 2680
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebola View Post
I have been contributing to a thread under the Syracuse section, and I came across this May 2012 report on New York State property taxes. It was compiled by the "Empire Center."

Here is the link:

The Empire Center for New York State Policy

Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on:

The Empire Center's property tax rankings report can be downloaded here.

The full pdf report will open and you can peruse the report which lists the “Top 20” and “Bottom 20” property tax rates in every region of the state (Except NYC and Nassau County), along with a ranking of the property tax rates in various cities.

Wow. What an eye opener, at least for me. Property taxes in New York State leave a bad taste in my mouth, as my own property taxes go up every year and are now becoming unbearable on my limited income. For living in a shoebox in the Town of Sullivan, Madison County (1,180 sq ft, 2 small bedrooms, one bath, no garage, stone driveway on .28 acres, no garbage pickup, no street lights) I get the pleasure of paying in 2013 -- $3957.74 in total property taxes (3.8% of my home's assessed value, 38.43 rate per 1000).

Insane. I am sorry, I WILL NOT sugar coat that property taxes in NYS are insanely high.

The report quotes:

As reflected in the Empire Center rankings, New York’s highest effective property tax rates are imposed in cities and rural areas with low property values, while the lowest effective rates are found in resort communities and wealthy areas with very high property values.

So basically, people who live in cities and rural communities that cannot afford expensive homes, have to pay more in property taxes on their low valued homes than people who can afford to live in more affluent areas with more expensive homes. Yup, makes sense. Of course I understand, sales taxes in resort areas offset property taxes, but is it still "fair" that rural/poor city property tax owners must pay more (in a few cases much, much more) than their wealthy NYS property tax owners that can afford a $600,000 home?

The most extreme example from the report:

Westchester County, NY, Bronxville - Median Home Value $600,000 - Tax Rate $6.74 - Median Tax $4,044
Oswego County, NY, Fulton - Median Home Value $95,000 - Tax Rate $51.15 - Median Tax $4,859


Wow, a home in Bronxville worth 6 times more than a home in Fulton pays $800 less a year in property taxes.

Are any of you "happy" with your property taxes? Think it is fair? Just curious as in my local area, if you speak about the insanity of property taxes people look at you like you have 3 heads. It's weird. Go figure (probably because many people work for the government and they know which side of their bread is buttered).
No doubt you are feeling the pinch. Madison County ranks #10 out of 3,033 counties in the US for property taxes as a percentage of home value. In other words, your taxes aren't going to be as high as downstate and NJ in dollar amounts, but your house is worth a lot less too and the incomes aren't as high. So, it really isn't fair. Perhaps there is not enough of a commercial base in your area, to offset the taxes for homeowners?

About.com: http://www.taxfoundation.org/news/show/26748.html

Also, sounds like you are overassessed, as the average according to this list is 2.43% for Madison County. This may be outdated though. I see very, very few homes in CNY at the 2.43% rate. That doesn't mean they don't exist, but a quick search on realtor websites shows an average of around 4%.

On a personal note, I have cousins that lived in the Town of Caton. Their taxes were $48 per $1000, on an old, drafty (albeit beautiful) home. I loved visiting that area and that house, and it was believed that the house was haunted too . Anyway, they weren't rich, one was a bus driver the other was a landscaper/ snowplower. They moved to PA about 10 years ago and their taxes dropped to $8 per $1000. In a unique irony, their land in NY is now up for potential fracking for natural gas. If they stayed and fracking came to NY, they might be millionaires today. Strange how life works.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2013, 10:02 AM
 
20 posts, read 43,160 times
Reputation: 35
Our home in California has total property taxes of over 2% of its value. Our total taxes are never included in comparisons, however, because half of it is mello roos. Our taxes sure don't cover any services either. We pay an HOA fee that pays for our neighborhood lights and green spaces, and we paid $30 a month or so for trash service. Our taxes on that home (we are renting it out) is more than either of those figures you listed in the OP.

It feels like everywhere we move people complain about how high their taxes are. It isn't fun paying for them that's for sure. Especially when you know how much money is wasted or misused along the way.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2013, 10:25 AM
 
52,631 posts, read 75,451,274 times
Reputation: 11627
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
No doubt you are feeling the pinch. Madison County ranks #10 out of 3,033 counties in the US for property taxes as a percentage of home value. In other words, your taxes aren't going to be as high as downstate and NJ in dollar amounts, but your house is worth a lot less too and the incomes aren't as high. So, it really isn't fair. Perhaps there is not enough of a commercial base in your area, to offset the taxes for homeowners?

About.com: http://www.taxfoundation.org/news/show/26748.html

Also, sounds like you are overassessed, as the average according to this list is 2.43% for Madison County. This may be outdated though. I see very, very few homes in CNY at the 2.43% rate. That doesn't mean they don't exist, but a quick search on realtor websites shows an average of around 4%.

On a personal note, I have cousins that lived in the Town of Caton. Their taxes were $48 per $1000, on an old, drafty (albeit beautiful) home. I loved visiting that area and that house, and it was believed that the house was haunted too . Anyway, they weren't rich, one was a bus driver the other was a landscaper/ snowplower. They moved to PA about 10 years ago and their taxes dropped to $8 per $1000. In a unique irony, their land in NY is now up for potential fracking for natural gas. If they stayed and fracking came to NY, they might be millionaires today. Strange how life works.
When looking at the tax rates on the Realtor sites, many times it is pre any exemptions and home owners get at least Basic STAR. So, the number you see isn't necessarily the number you pay. Interestingly, Madison County has been growing and has become more affluent in recent years. Madison County completes economic development plan that was five years in the making | syracuse.com (Read around the 11th/12th segment)
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2013, 12:17 PM
 
2,470 posts, read 2,491,639 times
Reputation: 2680
Its a really nice, well maintained county. Cazenovia is beautiful, as is Hamilton. I'm sure you could get a nice house for a good price too. The tax rate is #10 out of 3,033, so I'd expect taxes to be quite high in relation to the house value.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2013, 12:54 PM
 
Location: Where my bills arrive
7,171 posts, read 8,762,828 times
Reputation: 6948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireteam*Charlie View Post
Our home in California has total property taxes of over 2% of its value. Our total taxes are never included in comparisons, however, because half of it is mello roos. Our taxes sure don't cover any services either. We pay an HOA fee that pays for our neighborhood lights and green spaces, and we paid $30 a month or so for trash service. Our taxes on that home (we are renting it out) is more than either of those figures you listed in the OP.

It feels like everywhere we move people complain about how high their taxes are. It isn't fun paying for them that's for sure. Especially when you know how much money is wasted or misused along the way.
HOA's are not universal and the individual chooses to buy in a neighborhood that has one. Most are providing services/amenities for the fee they mandate. Trash pick up is cheap for me far less that the taxes I would pay if my home was in NY instead of VA.

People often mention STAR discounts what if your not eligable, home buyers should really evaluate what the total cost will be prior to committing.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2013, 01:58 PM
 
Location: Not Oneida
2,855 posts, read 3,371,597 times
Reputation: 1064
Basic STAR requires a pulse and that's about it

It's only afew pennies All you have to do is ask and they give it.

It's been around so long that's taxes have gone up more then the original ammount. Current taxes reflect what the government wants. For some people they have to pretend they are getting a discount. It's like the car dealers yelling "cash back". Some people still fall for it so they do it.

Hiw about some income tax relief in NY!! Much as my property taxes are insane they are nothing compared to income taxes
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2013, 04:39 PM
 
Location: Inis Fada
16,685 posts, read 27,887,589 times
Reputation: 7177
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebola View Post

Westchester County, NY, Bronxville - Median Home Value $600,000 - Tax Rate $6.74 - Median Tax $4,044
Oswego County, NY, Fulton - Median Home Value $95,000 - Tax Rate $51.15 - Median Tax $4,859


Wow, a home in Bronxville worth 6 times more than a home in Fulton pays $800 less a year in property taxes.
What the report fails to take into account is that in addition to state property tax, there is an additional property tax assessed by the Village of Bronxville.

Apples to oranges.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/09/bu...nted=2&hp&_r=0

Quote:
Rising Taxes

The $43,000 property tax levied by the village on a typical Bronxville home is up 34 percent in the last five years...
The article also goes on to state that the Village of Bronxville is 1 square mile in size. How large is Fulton?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2013, 04:48 PM
 
486 posts, read 658,194 times
Reputation: 1060
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
Also, sounds like you are overassessed, as the average according to this list is 2.43% for Madison County. This may be outdated though. I see very, very few homes in CNY at the 2.43% rate. That doesn't mean they don't exist, but a quick search on realtor websites shows an average of around 4%.
I am not overassessed I am OVERTAXED. The tax rate is too high per 1000k (as it is for the majority of NYS property owners). People obsess over assessments when in reality it is the tax rate per 1000k that is too high for the services received.

BTW, my STAR discount was $633 on my school taxes. Not much on a $3900+ tax bill. Doesn't matter how much discount they give you, they increase the school tax rate every year by 2% anyway. I always vote NO on the school budget, alas, my piddly NO vote is always overshadowed by the 400+ teachers' votes which pass the school budget every year. Most property owners DO NOT vote on school budgets, how sad, but it is what it is.

Oh, in my tax bill from the county, there was a brochure giving the breakdown of the taxes collected and what they are put toward:

38% toward Medicaid
17% toward other Social Services Programs
16% toward NYS Employee Retirement
13% toward Sheriff Correctional Facility
9% toward Public Health Programs
5% Community College Tuition
2% Other


Seeing as the majority of my county property tax money is going toward Medicaid, perhaps I should apply for Medicaid. Why pay for something and not use it? I currently do not have health insurance, with my income (or lack of it) I should be able to qualify for Medicaid, plus I am paying for it anyway with my $3900+ property tax bill.

Quote:
They moved to PA about 10 years ago and their taxes dropped to $8 per $1000. In a unique irony, their land in NY is now up for potential fracking for natural gas. If they stayed and fracking came to NY, they might be millionaires today. Strange how life works.
I don't believe much about millionaires being made overnight with fracking. A friend of mine lives in SW PA and his family have signed contracts with the gas well companies for fracking on their land. So far, no one that he knows, including themselves have become millionaires from gas well drilling. Much hype, in my opinion. Perhaps there are a few people getting "rich" but they are very few and far between.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top