Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2013, 02:06 PM

4 posts, read 51,068 times

Advertisements

We are a young family looking to re-locate form LI to Orange County.Not very familiar with different towns and areas. Being drawn there by price of homes, ability to own land, outdoor living, while still being able to commute to NYC. Would much appreciate any info/advice for
areas with best schools and all around family living and any areas which should be avoided.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2013, 08:16 PM

715 posts, read 2,508,493 times
Hello and welcome (potentially) to the area! You are drawn for the right reasons; the prices of homes are definitely cheaper than Nassau/Suffolk, more land/open spaces than Nassau/Suffolk, and it is still in commuting range.

Generally, you want to avoid the City of Newburgh, Middletown, and Port Jervis.

For places to live:

There are many attractive locations in the county that are worth your time in investigation.

Cornwall

Trulia
Wiki
Picturesque town in the eastern part of the county, 5 miles from West Point. Right on the Hudson River. Good schools. Major retail a short ride away in Newburgh or Harriman. Palisades Parkway very close and 87 just to the west for all points south.

Montgomery
Trulia
Wiki
Small and affluent village just inside the eastern crest of the Catskill Mountains. Superb schools (Valley Central School District). Grocery store (Shoprite) and other stores in-town. Major retail 10 miles away in either Newburgh or Middletown. Plenty of parks nearby. Right on I-84 and near 17/87.

Washingtonville
Trulia
Wiki
Another small and upscale village. Excellent schools. Stop & Shop in town. Major retail a short ride away in Newburgh or Harriman. Plenty of parks nearby. Great schools.

Goshen
Trulia
Wiki
The county seat of Orange - one of the most expensive spots in the county. A nice village with excellent schools. Major retail 5 miles away in Middletown. Plenty of parks nearby. On Route 17.

Chester
Trulia
Wiki
Village in the southern part of the county. Great schools. Good amenities. Right on major Route 17. Plenty of parks nearby.

Some other locations that are worth looking in to: Monroe/Woodbury (Trulia, Wiki), Central Valley (Trulia, Wiki), Warwick (Trulia, Wiki), Florida (Trulia, Wiki).

You could also look into options on the other side of the river, such as Beacon, Fishkill, and Wappingers Falls. You could have a look at Cold Spring, too.

Other Orange County Info:

*Major retail in the county is in the Town of Wallkill, Town of Newburgh, and Harriman.
*Many commuters to NYC, but I wouldn't call any community a 'bedroom' community.
*Rail service to NYC is abundant (stations at Port Jervis, Otisville, Middletown, Campbell Hall, Salisbury Mills/Cornwall, Harriman, and Tuxedo with service to Secaucus). Other option would be direct service to Manhattan out of Beacon. Buses also plentiful.
*Second fastest growing county in the state according to the 2010 census. Growth started in earnest following 9/11.

If you have any specific questions, please let me know!

Old 03-09-2013, 02:31 PM

385 posts, read 1,175,250 times
Orange County is a very nice area, and yes, certainly avoid Newburgh, PJ and Middletown. Town of Warwick is very nice, and a lovely area. The village has many shops, and there are many farms outside of town. There are two supermarkets south of the village. For an NYC commute, you can take the NJT bus from Warwick to Port Authority. Greenwood Lake section of Warwick is also nice, and has NJT bus stop there. Schools are good. Malls and other shopping in Harriman or Middletown.

Closest train stop is in Tuxedo.

Old 03-13-2013, 08:10 PM

919 posts, read 1,689,808 times
Avoid City of newburgh....

The town of newburgh is actually very, very nice. Taxes are a little higher ( as are the ones in cornwall) and depending on the right location you will be zoned to valley central, or malboro schools

Old 03-24-2013, 07:17 AM

Thank You all for the input. We really look forward to living in Orange County

Old 03-28-2013, 07:55 PM

22 posts, read 54,610 times
Hi, my kids (ages 9 and 13) and I are also looking to move to Orange County, NY (from Houston, TX). I would be grateful for any information on kids in the Warwick and Greenwood Lake, NY area. I read one thread comments from a 12 year old who said that because it was boring that a lot of kids did drugs and got drunk. Do any of you on this thread have any input on the kid's social scene? Any info would be much appreciated.

Old 04-01-2013, 01:19 PM

I can tell you that we currently live in LI in a beach community with access to all major LI/ City activities and you will find 12 year olds who would say the same thing here. As parents it's up to us to keep our kids busy and involved with activities as well as monitoring what they do. Kids will get "bored" and into trouble anywhere

Old 04-11-2013, 11:07 AM

628 posts, read 662,792 times
Are there any subdivisions being built? We're a young family and would like a live around other families with young kids.

Old 04-12-2013, 08:31 PM

211 posts, read 430,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turjcxg View Post
Hi, my kids (ages 9 and 13) and I are also looking to move to Orange County, NY (from Houston, TX). I would be grateful for any information on kids in the Warwick and Greenwood Lake, NY area. I read one thread comments from a 12 year old who said that because it was boring that a lot of kids did drugs and got drunk. Do any of you on this thread have any input on the kid's social scene? Any info would be much appreciated.
Why? Look into Austin, ten times better then Houston and 100 times better then that section of NY IMO. May I ask what draws you to that area specifically? Family? Work? Sorry for all the questions but I am a sociology major lol. Used to live near Warwick and now a proud Texan! I live in Austin now but go to Houston for work once or twice a month.

Old 05-11-2013, 12:15 AM

21 posts, read 59,625 times
Im an OC fan just like you, long island is too expensive. My biggest concern is basically starting a new life. driving everywhere, less people, etc. Keep this forum posted on your transition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York