U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2013, 01:38 PM

79 posts, read 175,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
I wasn't implying that you should be worried about your commute. I think you need to chill out a little.

You stated that most commutes don't go through inner cities. I was working off your premise. If you work at Syracuse, then obviously you kinda have to drive through some inner city areas since its basically downtown and you don't live downtown. I'm not interested in getting into specifics about your commute. If you want to split hairs and discuss what constitutes the inner city, feel free to have that conversation with others.

Btw, here is a website that depicts sprawl in the top 83 metros. It's from 2002, the most recent I could find. Raleigh is #3, with Rochester at #12 and Syracuse not too far behind that. Basically, all 3 cities are in the top 25% for sprawled out cities:

http://www.smartgrowthamerica.org/documents/chart.pdf
He will never chill because he has been doing that whenever he gets into a debate online.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2013, 02:08 PM

2,611 posts, read 2,785,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
No, it is just a fact. I'm not swaying people, as anyone can find that information. I understand that it only take one job, but why get upset about something anyone can find? I can accept the costs of things in NY, but why are other places off limits? Gas may be higher, especially Downstate, which is a different animal from Upstate NY in terms of costs, but things are more car dependent and spread out down South too. So, it may be a difference of paying more versus using more. Same with housing, as its more to the government or more to the banks. Pick your poison.

I'd also look into Columbus OH, Omaha or Lincoln NE and Indianapolis, among some others. See what they offer as they are growing and most, if not all have below average unemployment rates. They may also have what you are looking for.
I'm not upset at all. I'm quite happy as a matter of fact. Some of those things I mentioned are not as obvious to people.

There is a difference between more to the government or more to the bank. More to the bank means I pay the house off quicker. More to the government in most cases is lost. Example-

Here's a 16 year old house where after the typical 20% down at today's interest rates, could be had for $615 a month (w/taxes included) outside of Raleigh: 186 Hidden Valley Dr Holly Springs NC - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #1876360 - Realtor.com®

Assuming you could find an equivalent house in suburban Rochester, and I think you'd be hard pressed to find it, there's no way on God's green earth you're getting it for that monthly cost with taxes included. So, really the government vs bank argument isn't always accurate. Again, I will state for the record that this isn't to say that Rochester is unaffordable, just that the impact of taxes can far outweigh the perceived higher cost of housing elsewhere.

Those locations you mention are not ideal for me. Being within a daytrip to the ocean is important to me, and those areas have no ocean, no easy mountain access, and are flat as Kate Moss and treeless for the most part (not Columbus). They're also quite a distance from my family. For many people, they work but not for me.

Old 03-25-2013, 02:24 PM

59,360 posts, read 84,195,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestonMassSAHM View Post
He will never chill because he has been doing that whenever he gets into a debate online.
Who are you and what debates have I gotten into with you?

Old 03-25-2013, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
I'm not upset at all. I'm quite happy as a matter of fact. Some of those things I mentioned are not as obvious to people.

There is a difference between more to the government or more to the bank. More to the bank means I pay the house off quicker. More to the government in most cases is lost. Example-

Here's a 16 year old house where after the typical 20% down at today's interest rates, could be had for $615 a month (w/taxes included) outside of Raleigh: 186 Hidden Valley Dr Holly Springs NC - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #1876360 - Realtor.com®

Assuming you could find an equivalent house in suburban Rochester, and I think you'd be hard pressed to find it, there's no way on God's green earth you're getting it for that monthly cost with taxes included. So, really the government vs bank argument isn't always accurate. Again, I will state for the record that this isn't to say that Rochester is unaffordable, just that the impact of taxes can far outweigh the perceived higher cost of housing elsewhere.

Those locations you mention are not ideal for me. Being within a daytrip to the ocean is important to me, and those areas have no ocean, no easy mountain access, and are flat as Kate Moss and treeless for the most part (not Columbus). They're also quite a distance from my family. For many people, they work but not for me.
When I say that, I mean in terms of paying more for a house on average, which goes to the banks. I'm not making this about your decision, my point is about how things essentially even out, give or take.

As for those locations, that's cool. I'm just offering other places that could have had what you need or want. Nashville or Knoxville may be good alternatives.

As for the house, these may be on par or close: 60 Boyd Dr, Greece, NY 14616

62 Wendy Lane Lot 410, Greece, NY 14626

24 Sparrow Dr, Henrietta, NY 14586

500 Seneca Ave, Irondequoit, NY 14621

637 Crows Nest Ln, Walworth, NY 14502

6339 Kims Dr, Victor, NY 14564

6099 Lillypond Way, Ontario, NY 14519

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 03-25-2013 at 02:53 PM..

Old 03-25-2013, 02:49 PM

2,865 posts, read 3,612,568 times
I don't understand the government vs bank argument at all.

Tax money is of coarse just waste and once its gone it gone.

But paying off a house means you get to keep the house. Your not renting from the bank your borrowing, when you have met your end of the deal they give you the deed and its over.

That house that VS put up is the kinda house that makes me cry myself to sleep. A nice modern house with safe wiring and all the advances in building at an affordable price with reasonable taxes.

In NY I can afford that house but no way could I afford the taxes. So ya have to get a lesser house to make the taxes fit the income.

Thats not how its supposed to work.

Old 03-25-2013, 02:53 PM

Quote:
When I say that, I mean in terms of paying more for a houyse on average, which goes to the banks. I'm not making this about your decision, my point is about how things essentially even out, give or take.

As for those locations, that's cool. I'm just offering other places that could have had what you need or want. Nashville or Knoxville may be good alternatives.

Those places all have 400$ a month in taxes alone.

Its like you two are using the same numbers but his include the house and yours are just taxes.

Old 03-25-2013, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post

Its like you two are using the same numbers but his include the house and yours are just taxes.
This is the exact point that I'm trying to make, as the house sizes are about the same or are similar in comparison. They may have less yard, but many have more house.

I don't know if tax money is a complete waste, unless you aren't getting any services. I agree that they could be lower and have offered suggestions as to how that could happen.

Also, the taxes posted are without STAR and you do get or can get exemptions as well. You won't pay the same amount of taxes at 65 as you would at 35, even in NY, for example.

As for the schools near that Raleigh area home, are the nearest schools really that far away from that house?

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 03-25-2013 at 03:08 PM..

Old 03-25-2013, 03:07 PM

Quote:
When I say that, I mean in terms of paying more for a houyse on average, which goes to the banks. I'm not making this about your decision, my point is about how things essentially even out, give or take.

With the exception of the manufactured home in Victor, most of these homes have taxes in the vicinity of $5k a year. That alone is quickly going to get you close to the $615 a month, without even paying a dime toward paying off the house. The first house in Greece has $447 a month in taxes, ckh. This is my point about comparing housing costs and hanging your hat on Upstate housing costs being low.

And assuming you can get every single possible exemption i.e., STAR exemption, fighting your assessment, etc; you're still in the red by a good $350 a month.

The house may be cheap, the overall monthly mortgage is not. And truly, isn't that what most people are concerned with?

Old 03-25-2013, 03:07 PM

I smell a rat on STAR cause its a crap little discount that has been around so long and everyone gets it so its like cash back on a car. But some people believe in the Easter bunny to so ya never know.

Discounts for the elderly are another NY rip off. If taxes in NY are 3k and another state are 1k and NY gives half off that's still more.

Just heard on the news STAR is corrupt and full of fraud and they are making us all reapply. I'm sure the plan is many people with miss the news or forget and get plowed on taxes giving government a nice little one shot cash deal.

Old 03-25-2013, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post

My point exactly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or