Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 02:03 PM

56 posts, read 230,834 times

Advertisements

I meant forgive my ignorance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2007, 03:28 AM

17 posts, read 49,822 times
Yes, those towns are in the lower Hudson Valley, in the Weschester area, but the valley also includes the counties further north, on both the west shore and east shore. Don't worry about learning everything right away, you'll be fine if you go slowly and try to get a good idea of what counties lie where on the NY state map. It would help if you can pick up a paper map/Atlas which includes NY state. Rand McNally publishes a good one, but I don't know how easily you can get one in your local area. Or maybe just buy it over the internet. That way you can pick it up at your leisure, or if you see something online that you're wondering about you can find it on the map and learn more. A paper map is also a good way to get the kids involved in the move and learning more about where they'll be living. It's a big move but also an adventure for your whole family!

Old 10-29-2007, 08:03 AM

Thanks for you suggestions. It looks as if the housing market in all that area is sky high. is the west shore any better? And how is the commute into Manhattan?

Old 10-29-2007, 09:12 PM

110 posts, read 496,512 times
Rockland is the most central and easy commute to the city and Stewart Airport is going International and has added more flights Rockland is still more affordable than Westchester and Long Island I am a realtor here in Rockland and if I can help, please let me know It is scary moving to unfamilar area's You may want to rent at first just to see if you like the town before actually buying Where will you be moving from?
I wish you the best

Old 10-30-2007, 03:16 AM

We may be moving in the summer 2008 from Europe. And we have three children age 13, 8, 2. Yes, we were thinking of renting to start with but considering the children schooling we wanted to identify already the area where we want to be so that once they start in a school they do not have to change again. WE would like a good school district. I will look at Rockland, thanks. How long does the commute take into Manhattan? My husband will be working close to the U.N. and since he will be also travelling internationally quite a lot we do not want for him, when he is in the Country to get home when the children are already in bed.
Any opinion on Pelham? I saw that prices are not too bad there compare to the rest of Westchester

Last edited by Raffaella; 10-30-2007 at 03:46 AM.. Reason: Adding

Old 10-31-2007, 06:00 AM

110 posts, read 496,512 times
Pelham is still the city so to speak, the 5 boroughs make up NYC although when many speak of the city they are talking about Manhattan
From Rockland and I use to commute to the city, should take no more than an hour by mass transit ( bus or train) They have been adding more time slots to the train and bus schedule, especially on the weekends Rockland has many parks, lakes, hikking trails ( Bear Mt for one) close to skiing areas in Orange county which in driving time is around 40mins to one and than there are others We are an hour half from beaches starting in Long Island and also NJ If you would like more info on Rockland , email me and I will give you a site to go to I moved here 29yrs ago from the Bronx, as I said before
The schools here are excellent and that was one of my main reasons for moving It is still the one area that is centrally located to get to the city, NJ and not being hours away Feel free to contact for more info

Old 10-31-2007, 06:47 AM

155 posts, read 849,688 times
Pelham is not the city- it is in lower Westchester, and is quite expensive- taxes are outrageous.

Old 10-31-2007, 08:54 AM

Thanks a lot, I will look into Rockland to get a better idea of the place. Having never lived in the States it is all new to us and a bit daunting and I hope that by the time we have to come to a decision things will be clearer. I think this forum is great for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York