Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 11:14 AM

69 posts, read 135,213 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
My wife is looking at a job at Hamilton College and we are curious about the Oneida area. Taxes seem lower than in Clinton and we like having easier access to Syracuse so that is why we are focusing on Oneida.
Here is my concern. We are relocating from Dallas and are not concerned with being able to sell our house. My wife's job is very specified so we generally have to travel for a new job especially in a smaller area like Oneida. My concern is that in 5-6 years if she chooses to move jobs will we be able so sell in a timely manner. Is Oneida and upstate NY in general a dying area? We don't want to get stuck holding the bag if we wish to move down the line.
I'll have lots more questions about the area the sooner it becomes a reality. If you need more specific details please feel free to ask.
Thanks in advance
Charles
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 11:23 AM

3,058 posts, read 3,810,639 times
I think I know someone who can answer this one....

Old 03-21-2013, 11:26 AM

I know Sean will chime in but all I can say is that the Hamilton area itself is really nice. Very quaint, quiet, and woodsy but educated. I don't really think Oneida is that nice anymore.

Old 03-21-2013, 11:29 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,748,877 times
If she's working at Hamilton College, just live right around there... it's a nice area. Colgate is in Hamilton so it tends to hold its own, so to speak.

eta: Disregard- I did the same as Vintage! lol

But isn't Clinton supposed to be THE nice area, out of them all, in the Utica-Rome area? Again, can you just stay local to it?

Old 03-21-2013, 11:30 AM

^^ my mistake- I saw Hamilton and I was thinking the town, not the college. Disregard my last post. Colgate is in Hamilton and Hamilton College is in Clinton.

Old 03-21-2013, 11:35 AM

And Hartwick College is in Oneonta, not in Hartwick, a town north of there. Its confusing up there!

Old 03-21-2013, 11:42 AM

Thanks all,
Yes Hamilton College is right next to the village of Clinton. The taxes there are too much for us to bear so I was looking at Oneida. The taxes seem a little more reasonable. My wife went to grad school at Syracuse so she would like to have easy access to the area for friends. So many towns seem very attractive up there and so many seem like a bomb went off. I guess I am worried that if the area is in a general decline we wouldn't be able to leave. I love Cooperstown and that area - seems very stable.

Old 03-21-2013, 11:48 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,748,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charles1169 View Post
Thanks all,
Yes Hamilton College is right next to the village of Clinton. The taxes there are too much for us to bear so I was looking at Oneida. The taxes seem a little more reasonable. My wife went to grad school at Syracuse so she would like to have easy access to the area for friends. So many towns seem very attractive up there and so many seem like a bomb went off. I guess I am worried that if the area is in a general decline we wouldn't be able to leave. I love Cooperstown and that area - seems very stable.
What about Canastota? Quick access to the Thruway would make both the commute and visiting friends much easier. (And there's some gorgeous housing stock.)

Old 03-21-2013, 11:54 AM

Canstoga - I'll look into it!!

Old 03-21-2013, 11:55 AM

3 things:

(Disclaimer: I don't live there)

Be very careful where you buy. I wouldn't recommend buying in Oneida and watch the other cities too. Stick to the best suburban areas. If the taxes are high and home prices are high, there's a reason. You can be in heaven living in Cazenovia on a lake or be in hell living in some cracked out area. I'm being blunt but its the truth. Location is everything in most places but especially Upstate. Cooperstown is very nice. So is Fayetteville, Manlius, and most areas east of Syracuse.

Watch for fracking potential if you live rural or semi-rural. Its likely coming to Upstate. I know this is common outside of Dallas, so be aware of this. Syracuse watershed is not supposed to be fracked, but anything can be changed as its not decided yet.

No place Upstate will be like Dallas, so visit and stay a week to figure it out. Winter is brutal, summer is glorious, as is fall. There is a lot of strong opinions on this board from both sides (the homers and the haters) so weed through it and make your own decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York