Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2006, 12:04 PM

5 posts, read 19,114 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My wife and I should be closing soon on a house in Palenville, NY. We're excited to have the four seasons, fun topography and less traffic than our current home in the Dallas area (don't ask).

No specific questions but it'd be nice to hear general observations about that area (Greene Co.) and what nice (and not so nice) things we can expect once we move there.

Oh, our Sprint cell reception was terrible. Verizon says they cover Palenville. Any "real" feedback on cell service there?

Thanks in advance!

Dan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2006, 09:31 PM

1,330 posts, read 5,092,878 times
Palenville is a pretty quiet little town. Things are changing...very slowly.

Cell service is spotty, I had verizon my last trip up there and got OK service around Hunter and Cairo, I did not try it around Palenville tho.

I would say if you want to get away from it all, then you could not find too many better places. Weather up there is COLD, you will get to love snow, might want a snowblower or your own plow tho because sometimes snow removal can be slow up there in those little towns and you really don't want to be stuck in case of an emergency.

You will find that most are quite pleasant up there, if you wander down into Orange and Rockland you might find some uppity people. The weather is going to be quite an adjustment. The summers are HOT and HUMID, but I think you will manage OK, you know all about the heat, but really New England can be so unbearably humid sometimes. (I lived in Wichita Falls for half a year so I got a taste of your TX summer)

You are going to want to learn about some of the nearby attractions of Upstate and Western MA so you don't go star crazy. When I say it is quiet there, no jokin LOL!

Old 10-10-2006, 07:59 AM
D&T

33 posts, read 175,135 times
Hi! I wish you luck with your move to our area.

Palenville is a beautiful small hamlet, located in the Catskill Mountains, close to 2 decent size ski resorts - Hunter Mountain and Ski Windham. There is plenty of wildlife (incl. tons of deer, black bears, wild turkeys, rabbits, and even some coyote).

The town itself offers a small convenience store/gas station, post office, library, country club, a few restaurants, and multiple churches - incl. Catholic, Methodist & Episcopal. The library offers a small section sharing the history of Palenville, and the library itself was just recently relocated and expanded. We're quite fortunate to have such a nice library right in town!

One thing lacking here is that there are not any public playgrounds. A WalMart is opening about 10 miles from us in the Village of Catskill, and there is a large supermarket in Catskill also. Our schools are located there (we're part of the Town of Catskill), and there are multiple restaurants (incl fast-food), waterfront park, town/county bldgs (Catskill is the county seat), antique shops & medical providers there.

I could go on an on - if you have more questions, feel free to ask.

Oh...Verizon wireless service works pretty well in Palenville - that's who we have.

Old 10-10-2006, 07:56 PM

1,330 posts, read 5,092,878 times
D&H, did the Shinglekill grist mill in Cairo ever reopen???

Just curious..it was one of my favorite places to visit when I was a kid.

Old 10-11-2006, 06:09 AM
D&T

33 posts, read 175,135 times
Winnie...this is what I found on Shinglekill grist mill:

Shinglekill Falls Grist Mill Antiques
Purling, NY - 518-622-3097
Primitives, glass, frames, gifts, pictures, souvenirs and collectibles

You could give them a call if you want and reminisce a bit.

Old 10-11-2007, 12:52 PM

1 posts, read 4,383 times
Does any one know whatever happened to Jimmy and Chris Swenson? They lived in NYC but spent the summers in Palenville in the 60's and 70's......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York